Grand Slam 2019 US Open - 20th of August - 8th of September

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s truly bizarre reading a few of the ‘who is the best’ articles floating around at the moment.

There was one I read today that had about 12 ‘experts’ saying who they thought was the best and why.

There were some truly stupefying answers - one idiot even said McEnroe. Almost to a man though, those saying Federer cited how easy he is on the eye, and how much everyone loves him. Seriously? How does that make someone the best? Using that logic Jason Holder is a better test match batsman than Steve Smith.

The best argument I’ve seen for any of them even though I don’t necessarily agree with it, is that as hard as Federer and Nadal are to beat, their games DO have a couple of chinks that allow their opponents to at least have a game plan to follow. Djokovic doesn’t have that and you are more reliant on him having a bad day than you are of being able to have a good day yourself and beat him.

Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
It’s truly bizarre reading a few of the ‘who is the best’ articles floating around at the moment.

There was one I read today that had about 12 ‘experts’ saying who they thought was the best and why.

There were some truly stupefying answers - one idiot even said McEnroe. Almost to a man though, those saying Federer cited how easy he is on the eye, and how much everyone loves him. Seriously? How does that make someone the best? Using that logic Jason Holder is a better test match batsman than Steve Smith.

The best argument I’ve seen for any of them even though I don’t necessarily agree with it, is that as hard as Federer and Nadal are to beat, their games DO have a couple of chinks that allow their opponents to at least have a game plan to follow. Djokovic doesn’t have that and you are more reliant on him having a bad day than you are of being able to have a good day yourself and beat him.
The reasoning for Federer being the GOAT has literally changed over time. In some people’s eyes it clearly (and suddenly) doesn’t matter how the GS count ends, Fed will always be number one. Which is laughable.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The reasoning for Federer being the GOAT has literally changed over time. In some people’s eyes it clearly (and suddenly) doesn’t matter how the GS count ends, Fed will always be number one. Which is laughable.

Exactly. First it was his absolute golden period of dominance before Nadal and Djokovic really hit their straps. Then it was time at number one. Then it was the career grand slam, then it was the slam record, now I’m reading that his dominance of Wimbledon gives him a claim, and reading that his style gives him the title.

As easy as he is on the eye, I would actually rather watch Rafa anyway because if anyone of the three is guilty of hitting shots that no one else could, it’s him. It’s nice to stand in the middle of the baseline and hit graceful winners when the point is on your terms but it’s another thing altogether to routinely run down balls other players couldn’t even spray 10 feet wide, and turn them into winners on big points with obscene regularity.

Unless any of them said Rod Laver it's hard to take them seriously.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just wanted to acknowledge the outfit Serena lost the Open in. The cut flattered her shape and the colour worked wonders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back