VFL 2019 VFL R1 vs Coburg (Sat 6th Apr, 2pm @ Piranha Park Coburg)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I heard Buckley say that the club weren’t intending to use runners in the VFL so that the players could get used to AFL conditions.
Correct im sure that’s what is the practice.

Makes sense.

Crocker seemed to be up ground, possibly a new string to his bow as the coaching staff want of all players. Seemed very much more involved but messy with his disposal at times.

Correct im sure that’s what is the practice.

Makes sense.

Maybe they've changed their mind and gone with Clokey as the runner, because he'll butcher the messages so much that it'll be like not having a runner.

barrackers msny thanks; outstanding job. Was excellent updates whilst watching the wonderful races in Sydney.

Now for the win tonight.

At the G and just caught up.........thanks barrackers great updates.

Spewing I didn’t go......I guess a Eagles defeat will have to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I heard Buckley say that the club weren’t intending to use runners in the VFL so that the players could get used to AFL conditions.
Cloke was out there a lot so I don't think they listened to him:).

Maybe because of the state of the game?

Some mostly positive thoughts before bed

6 Goldsack - typical Goldsack game as a forward. Presented well, but never really has sticky enough hands to take enough grabs consistently. Can't fault his effort though and we know he's capable depth to plug into the seniors when needed.

17 Callum Brown - Played in the centre. A lot more outside footy today and his spread was good. Can see why he was preferred at senior level in round 1. Kicked a nice long goal too.

20 Reid - played forward. Started slowly, but he was superb thereafter with sticky hands. Only shame is his goal kicking let him down; he would have had 6-8 shots on goal and should have got a much bigger bag than the 3 goals he kicked.

26 Daicos - played between half forward and wing. Looks so classy when he gets front and centre whether that be clearing defence or up forward. Better than solid game, without being dominant.

28 Murphy - injured in his first contest. Looks set to spend time on the sidelines with an ankle

29 Broomhead - I suspect he was on managed game time. Played between wing and half forward. Had a real purple patch on the wing in the second half of the third term where he was involved in several strings of play, outside of that he didn't go a lot. What I expected from his frst game back and will need another month before consideration for the seniors.

31 Appleby - some nice defensive efforts, but didn't get much footy.

33 Wills - was invisible as a forward in the first quarter. Moved into the centre at quarter time where he had the next two centre clearances. Spent the rest of the game in the midfield where he dominated and put his name forward for a recall. It's a funny one though, if we're committed to developing him as a forward moving into back into the centre isn't going to help that development.

34 Tyler Brown - played a little bit of wing, but spent most of his time in the centre. At this stage of his career I suspect he'd have more impact and easier footy at half back, but if we see him a mid longterm it's the right decision to set him that harder challenge now. Still done though nice things (one centre clearance comes to mind) though. Plus how good was that leap and mark!

35 Quaynor - wasn't the best defensively, although he did take a couple of nice intercept marks. Looks classy enough and his kicking was clean when not under pressure. Will debut this year.

39 Crocker - continued his new role on a wing, plenty of footy and often dropped back to help out. A couple of clanger kicks, but also a couple of pin point passes. sr36 summed it up well, playing the Mayne role at VFL. Done it well too and was our best on despite Reid's impressive showing.

40 Bosenavulagi - looked off the pace in the first half where he wasn't able to do much clean, I could see what he was trying to do he just didn't quite pull it off whether that be a mark, tackle or run. His last quarter was a lot cleaner though where he got involved on the wing as we came out of half back on a few occasions. Provided a pretty handy link and on one occasion successfully took the game one, which was good to see. Probably won't debut this year, but there's enough to like.

44 Madgen - looked better after switching from FB to CHB with LeGrice. At CHB he was better able to peel off to impact and clear contests and get back to some of his better form.

45 Lynch - best game I've seen him play and better yet the most complete game I've seen him play. By that I mean his tap work was at times outstanding, he dropped back into the defensive hole well where more often than not he marked or at least brought the ball to ground and presented well on the wing. Nice goal after intercepting a lions kick out of defence too.

Last edited:
It was a pretty ordinary game out at Coburg today (game at the MCG was even less of a spectacle), but watching Tyler Brown's mark made it a worthwhile day of footy.

I don't know what will become of him as a footballer, but he has an urgency about his game this year which is striking.

Coburg has no AFL players is this correct?
Correct, I don't believe they've got any ex-AFL players this year either, but they do have a several players from various state leagues including some from AFL reserve sides.

Last edited:
Coburg has no AFL players is this correct?
Correct, I don't believe we've got any ex-AFL players this year either, but they do have a several players from various state leagues including some from AFL reserve sides.
It seems incredible that any VFL club would be without an ex-AFL list player on it's books. Perhaps Coburg aren't offering enough money to lure the players with better credentials. You'd still think someone who has been cut from an AFL list and is desperate for another chance would be happy to go there.

Doesn't Oxley qualify for us?! Since he's only been given number 73 he probably wonders himself where he sits in the pecking order!! He obviously likes it at the club, but it seems a strange move for him to stick around, rather than go to a club where he'd be assured of getting a game every week. Woodward and Gallucci (Carlton list) are two others who have been on AFL lists.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back