VFL 2019 VFL R15 vs Williamstown (Sat 13 Jul 2pm @ VICTORIA PARK) - LIVE STREAM & RADIO !!! - VFLW (11.30am) double header

Remove this Banner Ad

The modern game can offer up some pretty average looking games. This was one, I thought. Disappointing finish.

Adams’s intensity stood out. I’d expect him back in seniors this week.

Scharenberg is a great reader of the play and mark, but I wonder what all the injuries have done to his athleticism and the length of his kicks. Solid though.

Wills strong as usual.

Daicos accumulated without much else.

Anyone forward of the ball - I pity them. With modern structures you can’t go ball hunting so you’re just have to zone forward and hope it comes to you. Thomas and Broomhead were the victims.

Goldsack solid and looks to me he could play seniors if things get desperate. So too Madgen who did a bit in the ruck.

I just wanted to comment on Wilson. It’s games like that which can show you who has AFL potential of the developing guys and Wilson did not disappoint. The way he moved was something else and if had to propose a comparison it would be Curnow/ Blakey. Development isn’t linear, but if he maintains any form of upward trajectory he’ll be ready for senior footy early next year!

Special mention to Keane as well. He wasn’t a standout by any stretch, but he showed that along with Wilson and Kelly we aren’t in as bad a spot KPP wise as some have speculated on.

Last edited:

Midfielders can get away with lack of pace if they have great awareness, good hands and footy nous-Diesel Williams/Tony Shaw were both as slow as a wet week but ticked all the other boxes. A defender cannot afford to be slowish because their primary role is to shut down their opponent and if they can't "go" with their opponent they are already in trouble. Shaz reads the play beautifully, has good hands and courage but he lacks a couple of essential ingredients if he is playing deep in defense on big bodied opponents- strength and pace. If Howe, Moore and Roughy are all up and going I don't see a place for Shaz.

Shaz and Langdon are pretty much the same player. If we are fully fit I think one plays, there’s not much between them so would come down to form.

With Langdon injured I think Shaz plays. Langdon has been given more freedom to play on a lesser quality forward and zone off. Shaz has always been given a more dangerous player to stop, but he still managed to get a few intercept marks and 20pos

Shaz reads the play beautifully, has good hands and courage but he lacks a couple of essential ingredients if he is playing deep in defense on big bodied opponents- strength and pace. If Howe, Moore and Roughy are all up and going I don't see a place for Shaz.
I'm not as big on Shaz as many are, but he was really solid as a kpd last year,. Actually got beaten in the air or for strength a fair bit less than Darcy Moore this year. Like Howe, he reads it brilliantly in tje air, enabling him to play taller than he is.

I just wanted to comment on Wilson. It’s games like that which can show you who has AFL potential of the developing guys and Wilson did not disappoint. The way he moved was something else and if had to propose a comparison it would be Curnow/ Blakey. Development isn’t linear, but if he maintains any form of upward trajectory he’ll be ready for senior footy early next year!

Special mention to Keane as well. He wasn’t a standout by any stretch, but he showed that along with Wilson and Kelly we aren’t in as bad a spot KPP wise as some have speculated on.
Keane has been very good the last 3 weeks or so. His development this year has been excellent imo.

Just play him!

Have we seen much of Kelly? He seems to be perennially injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3gfKUqR.png

NHiqvP7.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back