VFL 2019 VFL R15 vs Williamstown (Sat 13 Jul 2pm @ VICTORIA PARK) - LIVE STREAM & RADIO !!! - VFLW (11.30am) double header

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to hear Adams had a hitout. Hopefully pulls up ok, backs up again in the VFL next week and is ready for the Tigers
Will play next week v Giants. That was always his aim. Doesn't need more than a week in the vfl

Scrappy game given the strong wind in the 1st half and rain in the 2nd.

Adams obviously a class above and it'll be all about how he pulls up and whether we want to hold him back another week. Still managed 8 tackles, 1 goal and 16 disposals from limited game time.

Scharenberg did what he always does well in reading the play and outpointing smaller or similar sized opponents in a marking contest.

It's not about that for Scharenberg though as those aspects of his game aren't in question.

When he returns to the AFL side the one aspect of his game I really want to see him improve on is his choices with his field kicking.

He's to conservative IMO, goes short and sideways to often when he has the talent to be more bold and open up the field of play for us.

He'll never be a line breaker with run and carry so we need more of this from him as it's partly the reason why Quaynor and Noble have come into the side because their natural desire is to get the ball moving forward quickly.

Goldsack is just a warrior and you know he'll give it his all if called upon this season. 21 disposals today which is a season high for him.

Daicos and T. Brown were solid but not a performance that screamed pick me Bucks. Good to see Josh laid 6 tackles as it needs to be a focus for him as a small midfielder.

Wills with 11 tackles alongside his 16 disposals keeps Sier honest.

Thomas shoudn't be back on the basis of that performance. Had a few chances in front of goal but fumbled his way out of all of them. Only 11 disposals and badly out of form.

You might not want to hear about the hard surface but given Moore did another hammy it was clearly a good move to not play Shaz last night.
Moore got injured, therefore Shaz would have? Youre really running with that?

Due to talk about our training ground being too hard and because i like to run myself, I've done a bit of reading on differences between injury rates for runners running on hard versus soft surfaces. Evidence isn't compelling yet - less research than i would have thought, but when comparing road versus grass slightly more soft tissue on the road, less knees and ankles on the road. Obviously the difference between a road and grass is bigger than the difference between wce ground and ours so smaller effect, but a hard surface is probably slightly better for Shaz coming back from a knee than a soft surface would be.

Moore got injured, therefore Shaz would have? Youre really running with that?

Due to talk about our training ground being too hard and because i like to run myself, I've done a bit of reading on differences between injury rates for runners running on hard versus soft surfaces. Evidence isn't compelling yet - less research than i would have thought, but when comparing road versus grass slightly more soft tissue on the road, less knees and ankles on the road. Obviously the difference between a road and grass is bigger than the difference between wce ground and ours so smaller effect, but a hard surface is probably slightly better for Shaz coming back from a knee than a soft surface would be.
I wonder whether swelling around the knee may be more the issue. Less than 12 months from his 3rd reco it may have been that flying to Perth pre match may have been an issue. A guess by me but possible

Thanks for the update

Shaz is just way to slow the only way he becomes an AFL regular is if he takes a key position defenders role seems to small for that role.

Decision making is very good, skills are good, absolutely no speed in his game even kicking the ball he takes to much time.

They say umps don't effect games
Well anyone there today would be mystified , willy supporters were laughing , thanked the umps and all
Imagine the standard in local footy
Wow

Besides we Hit the post more than I can remember
Very bad loss
As The best player on the ground didn't play the second half for willy
He was dominating
Adams and either Howe or sack come in
Shaz played well but needs more urgency with ball in hand
Hard to see Thomas playing again this year
Keane will be a player
Magden great game
The young kid played well in the ruck and persisted
Broomhead Daicos miles off it
Wilson good again
Wills is a beast

Thanks for the update

Shaz is just way to slow the only way he becomes an AFL regular is if he takes a key position defenders role seems to small for that role.

Decision making is very good, skills are good, absolutely no speed in his game even kicking the ball he takes to much time.

At least he uses it well not like some others are Poor Ball Users

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They say umps don't effect games
Well anyone there today would be mystified , willy supporters were laughing , thanked the umps and all
Imagine the standard in local footy
Wow

Those Cheating Scumps should never Umpire Again

Scrappy game given the strong wind in the 1st half and rain in the 2nd.

Adams obviously a class above and it'll be all about how he pulls up and whether we want to hold him back another week. Still managed 8 tackles, 1 goal and 16 disposals from limited game time.

Scharenberg did what he always does well in reading the play and outpointing smaller or similar sized opponents in a marking contest.

It's not about that for Scharenberg though as those aspects of his game aren't in question.

When he returns to the AFL side the one aspect of his game I really want to see him improve on is his choices with his field kicking.

He's to conservative IMO, goes short and sideways to often when he has the talent to be more bold and open up the field of play for us.

He'll never be a line breaker with run and carry so we need more of this from him as it's partly the reason why Quaynor and Noble have come into the side because their natural desire is to get the ball moving forward quickly.

Goldsack is just a warrior and you know he'll give it his all if called upon this season. 21 disposals today which is a season high for him.

Daicos and T. Brown were solid but not a performance that screamed pick me Bucks. Good to see Josh laid 6 tackles as it needs to be a focus for him as a small midfielder.

Wills with 11 tackles alongside his 16 disposals keeps Sier honest.

Thomas shoudn't be back on the basis of that performance. Had a few chances in front of goal but fumbled his way out of all of them. Only 11 disposals and badly out of form.
I may be howled down for this but I'd rather see Goldy in for the Giants. He has pace and takes the game on, which is what we desperately need. We are at our best when we take risks and run the pill.

Too slow for Darling, Allen and Kennedy and lacks a little core strength in contests with the really big key forwards.

I’d think he would’ve been fine to play on Darling or Allen, leaving Roughead for Kennedy. Was really unfair he had to play on Kennedy during the finals last year.

I wonder whether swelling around the knee may be more the issue. Less than 12 months from his 3rd reco it may have been that flying to Perth pre match may have been an issue. A guess by me but possible
Just think they wanted to change the balance and go for more drive out of defence from the flankers. I like it myself.

Thanks for the update

I agree that kpd is his best chance. Luckily for him, he showed last year that he can do it.

At least he uses it well not like some others are Poor Ball Users

Yeah he does until like all players under pressure he gives it up which again happens to even the best

Problem is he finds himself under way to much pressure because his so slow.

Too slow.........lacks awareness........am I watching a different player?

The only thing fighting against him is his body failing him.

Is Pendlebury quick?

Too slow.........lacks awareness........am I watching a different player?

The only thing fighting against him is his body failing him.

Is Pendlebury quick?
Midfielders can get away with lack of pace if they have great awareness, good hands and footy nous-Diesel Williams/Tony Shaw were both as slow as a wet week but ticked all the other boxes. A defender cannot afford to be slowish because their primary role is to shut down their opponent and if they can't "go" with their opponent they are already in trouble. Shaz reads the play beautifully, has good hands and courage but he lacks a couple of essential ingredients if he is playing deep in defense on big bodied opponents- strength and pace. If Howe, Moore and Roughy are all up and going I don't see a place for Shaz.

Midfielders can get away with lack of pace if they have great awareness, good hands and footy nous-Diesel Williams/Tony Shaw were both as slow as a wet week but ticked all the other boxes. A defender cannot afford to be slowish because their primary role is to shut down their opponent and if they can't "go" with their opponent they are already in trouble. Shaz reads the play beautifully, has good hands and courage but he lacks a couple of essential ingredients if he is playing deep in defense on big bodied opponents- strength and pace. If Howe, Moore and Roughy are all up and going I don't see a place for Shaz.

I'd actually only go with 2 out of the 4 in defence. Would consider Howe or Moore in different roles though.

Until injuries hit our preferred defensive setup for 2018 was Dunn (FB), Scharenberg (CHB) with Howe and Langdon the third and fourth talls, so I think we could play Roughead (FB) / Scharenberg (CHB) / Moore / Howe together. If Moore isn't responsible for the second tall he'd be more free to peel off and assist as the third player up, which is a tantalising prospect.

Should all of Roughead, Scharenberg, Moore, Howe, Langdon and Dunn ever be all fit at the same time (where's that unicorn?) we'd have a tough decision to make on two of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back