VFL 2019 VFL R16 vs Frankston (Sun 21 Jul 2pm @ Skybus Stadium Frankston) - Noble named

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
True but his AFL Career is OVER
That’s a bit harsh...he finished off the year playing his part in getting us to a grand final. Hard, disciplined, athletic not a bad kick...can play anywhere on the ground...I reckon he gets a game with how we’ve been going. Can set a really good standard for the others that haven’t been ripping in.

I honestly pride myself on my grammar, spelling, etc. but I'll be honest, I can't get my head around effect/affect. Sorry in advance.
Haha, I’m sure there is more to it, but the cliff notes are as follows. Effect is a noun, a thing. “The Greenhouse Effect”, “the gambit had no effect”, “the poison slowly took effect”.

Affect is a verb, it’s something that is done to others or upon yourself. “He was unaffected”, “the cold did not affect her”, etc.

The tricky part is that to have an effect on something/someone is to affect them.

Last edited:
I honestly pride myself on my grammar, spelling, etc. but I'll be honest, I can't get my head around effect/affect. Sorry in advance.
Think of being efficient and how that affects your output

Haha, I’m sure there is more to it, but the cliff notes are as follows. Effect is a noun, a thing. “The Greenhouse Effect”, “the gambit had no effect”, “the poison slowly took effect”.

Affect is a verb, it’s something that is done to others or upon yourself. “He was unaffected”, “the cold did not affect her”, etc.

The tricky part is that to have an effect on something/someone is to affect them.
It is a tricky one though, because affect can also be a noun and effect can also be a verb

It's like there, their and they're. They sound the same so if you didn't concentrate in grade 3 you'll never get it. A lot of people never read proper writing and have no pride in expressing themselves correctly. They should because it's a dead giveaway you don't have a lot bouncing around up there if you don't know how to use common words so that will hold you back in life.

I treat that as a different thing. You’ve referred to words that are phonetically identical so it’s purely a spelling issue. What’s not helping at all is the autocorrect that is now everywhere, Especially the autocorrect that keeps erroneously changing ‘its’ to ‘it’s’.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess the commonly broken law around here that irritates me is people speaking in broken or incomplete sentences. A full sentence contains a verb, expresses an idea and makes sense standing on its own. 2 or 3 word sentences immediately stand out to me as wrong.

Anyone remember snag bread? She would love this discussion. Her account seems gone as I can't even find her to tag. She made an excellent spelling and grammar thread in the Magpie Nest.

I'll bump it so maybe the mods can move this discussion in there.

Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or sentences that just go on and on, an entire paragraph of text without so much as a comma let alone a full stop, is also extremely frustrating.
I hate it when posters write lengthy posts and don't properly use paragraphs, to break up their thoughts. Being confronted with a lengthy piece of prose is overwhelming to the extent that you have to force yourself to read it, hence "TLDR".

When people speak, I hate it when they say things like "your've got to admit that...." or "there've got to lift their game..." There are no such words in the language of course, but still some people pronounce it in this way. My better half says these sorts of things all the time; really grinds my gears!

I recall Snag Braec. I always enjoyed her posts, she seemed to have football nouse and general intelligence in spades, and was very no-nonsense. I hope she gets involved again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
2qMSzF9.png

hqKfzRL.png

So Broomhead plays an almost identical game to T Brown, but doesn't even get a mention in Lulie st. Why do they hate him? Meanwhile T Brown is talked up and up.

Meanwhile Daicos plays a way less influential game and gets awarded with a mention and according to Tom Browne a spot in the team.

I'm gonna microwave my membership re if this goes on re

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hate it when posters write lengthy posts and don't properly use paragraphs, to break up their thoughts. Being confronted with a lengthy piece of prose is overwhelming to the extent that you have to force yourself to read it, hence "TLDR".

When people speak, I hate it when they say things like "your've got to admit that...." or "there've got to lift their game..." There are no such words in the language of course, but still some people pronounce it in this way. My better half says these sorts of things all the time; really grinds my gears!

I recall Snag Braec. I always enjoyed her posts, she seemed to have football nouse and general intelligence in spades, and was very no-nonsense. I hope she gets involved again.

From what I remember, this was over 10 years ago now, she told me privately she had done freelance articles that got published in the Age. I was interested in journalism at the time and she liked my writing and encouraged me to try. I didn't... I ignored a lot of people there.

She is very worldly and intelligent, and at the beginning was just learning the game so her insights were different and thought provoking. Would be good if she came back one day but hasn't posted regularly for many years now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back