VFL 2019 VFL R19 vs Casey (Sun 11 Aug 12pm @ VICTORIA PARK) - Casey Radio

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Damn. I think that might be his last hope gone now.

Don’t think so. He’s been playing well, and it’s not as if our team has an embarrassment of riches coming up for the forward line.

Would he be a better / worse option than a third / fourth round rookie draft selection in an era when Collingwood are contending? Easy answer there.

I’d expect him to get a one year extension to show what he can do next year.

Don’t think so. He’s been playing well, and it’s not as if our team has an embarrassment of riches coming up in the forward line.

Would he be a better / worse option than a third / fourth round rookie draft selection in an era when Collingwood are contending? Easy answer there.

I’d expect him to get a one year extension to show what he can do next year.
I like Broomy 76, and I’ve held high hopes for him since he was drafted, but he hasn’t been able to get a senior game for 2 years now, and has been injured constantly his entire career. It’s been 7 years now for 30 odd games. There has to be a point where the club says enough, and I think it’s come now, as disappointing as it is.

Aside from all that, Broomy is an average fwd. Hes a mid through and through. If we’re keeping him for forward depth then we’re wasting our time.

I like Broomy 76, and I’ve held high hopes for him since he was drafted, but he hasn’t been able to get a senior game for 2 years now, and has been injured constantly his entire career. It’s been 7 years now for 30 odd games. There has to be a point where the club says enough, and I think it’s come now, as disappointing as it is.

Aside from all that, Broomy is an average fwd. Hes a mid through and through. If we’re keeping him for forward depth then we’re wasting our time.

Given what he was coming back from (a year out of the game, much of that with a leg pretty much atrophied), was it reasonably expected that he could get back to push senior level this season?

It doesn’t seem like one year was giving him much of a chance, in which case we may as well have delisted him at the end of last season?

Given what he was coming back from (a year out of the game, much of that with a leg pretty much atrophied), was it reasonably expected that he could get back to push senior level this season?

It doesn’t seem like one year was giving him much of a chance, in which case we may as well have delisted him at the end of last season?
We’ll see 76, but I have a feeling that Broomys time is up.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
I don’t think so Dave. Your quick to draw the sword, 1 year not making finals with an injury riddled year and some developing players. I think he deserves to go on.

What if the club was able to get Alan Richardson to coach the VFL boys. He said he wont ever coach in the AFL again, but you would think a VFL coaching job will have him say yes, especially with a club he has an attachment too.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No - Just giving my Thoughts of what Might Happen

Fair enough.

As others have suggested he didn’t have much to start with.......and once again our injuries hurt.

Keane and Wilson and even Lynch are positives at least.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What if the club was able to get Alan Richardson to coach the VFL boys. He said he wont ever coach in the AFL again, but you would think a VFL coaching job will have him say yes, especially with a club he has an attachment too.

Consensus at the time was he was a gun development coach. Would like.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We’ll see 76, but I have a feeling that Broomys time is up.

Normally I would agree, but there's already so many players we desperately need to clean out.

Wells - Gone
Dunn - Gone
Goldsack - Gone
Varcoe - Gone
Crocker - Gone
Sier - Might leave
Grundy/De Goey/Moore - One might leave
Reid - Gone
Murray - Gone ?
Appleby - Gone ?

Broomhead is a very mediocre player even before his injury, but he could be saved based on how many need to be delisted before him.

Normally I would agree, but there's already so many players we desperately need to clean out.

Wells - Gone
Dunn - Gone
Goldsack - Gone
Varcoe - Gone
Crocker - Gone
Sier - Might leave
Grundy/De Goey/Moore - One might leave
Reid - Gone
Murray - Gone ?
Appleby - Gone ?

Broomhead is a very mediocre player even before his injury, but he could be saved based on how many need to be delisted before him.

Let’s not count players like Sier / Grundy / DeGoey / Moore because even if they do go they’ll be replaced either by recruit(s) and/ or draft pick(s) (unlike Broomhead, whose spot would be replaced by a late pick in the rookie draft)

I also think Varcoe could go around again for another season. He’s played 13 of 20 games this season and has shown that he can still contribute.

But the essence of your point still stands.

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let’s not count players like Sier / Grundy / DeGoey / Moore because even if they do go he’ll be replaced by either recruit(s) and/ or draft picks (unlike Broomhead, whose spot would be replaced by a late pick in the rookie draft)

I also think Varcoe could go around again for another season. He’a played 13 of 20 games this season and has shown that he can still contribute.

But the essence of your point still stands.

Varcoe is averaging 12 touches, 2 tackles, and 0.5 goals per game. With 6/7 of his goals coming against bottom 4 teams (St Kilda Melbourne Gold Coast) while against top 8 teams he is completely unsighted. We're in big trouble if he's still in the team next year.

Yeah I guess you're right about players being traded out.

bigroy87

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not much he can do with the players he has missing
Rivers has had injuries to the list, having said that he may move on at seasons end. It's a unique role to manage both up and down. The next coach if there is one needs to have a broad understanding of those principles to gain the best out of the VFL program. It's not a easy role to perform. The best person in the role went to Brisbane and is coaching there midfield extremely well by all reports. Tapping is a genuinely a damn good coach who managed injuries and the program to the highest standard.

Varcoe is averaging 12 touches, 2 tackles, and 0.5 goals per game. With 6/7 of his goals coming against bottom 4 teams (St Kilda Melbourne Gold Coast) while against top 8 teams he is completely unsighted. We're in big trouble if he's still in the team next year.

You’ve delisted players who have played games this year (Varcoe 13, Reid 7, Crocker 3, Appleby 1, Wells 0.5)

Who on our list would be pushing to play those games instead next year?

T.Brown seems like an obvious one.
As much as we’d love Murphy and Kelly to step up, we just haven’t seen enough of them.
If Keene continues his good form then he could be an option

Fingers crossed we have a better run with injuries than this year ...

... but with ageing players like Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams, Roughead, Howe, Elliott, Mayne, Greenwood, Cox, Thomas, would have thought that they Would generally play fewer games next year.

I just see that Varcoe could be a worthy versatile “break glass in case of emergency” player next year, in much the same way as Goldsack has been this year.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You’ve delisted players who have played games this year (Varcoe 13, Reid 7, Crocker 3, Appleby 1, Wells 0.5)

Who on our list would be pushing to play those games instead next year?

T.Brown seems like an obvious one.
As much as we’d love Murphy and Kelly to step up, we just haven’t seen enough of them.
If Keene continues his good form then he could be an option

Fingers crossed we have a better run with injuries than this year ...

... but with ageing players like Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams, Roughead, Howe, Elliott, Mayne, Greenwood, Cox, Thomas, would have thought that they Would generally play fewer games next year.

I just see that Varcoe could be a worthy versatile “break glass in case of emergency” player next year, in much the same way as Goldsack has been this year.

Even in our injury emergencies we still haven't used Goldsack, he's been a complete waste of a list spot. That'll be the same for Varcoe in 2020. Maybe if we used that list spot elsewhere we could of found the next Maxwell, the next Mihocek? The next Harry O? Wasted list spots are a huge mistake. I'd rather take the punt on a mature age rookie and see if he can perform like so many others are.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some quick thoughts:

6. Goldsack - occasional glimpses of vintage play, however after starting the year forward he hasn't been a standout performer. He's never really done much at VFL level though, so I reckon that he'd be better at AFL level.

28. Murphy - quiet first half and slowly worked into the match. Took a couple of nice marks late and will be better for the run, unfortunately he's ran out of time to impact 2019

29. Broomhead - a couple of nice things, but didn't add to his disposal tally after half time. Was he injured or rested?

34. T. Brown - forget AFL attributes, some of his highlights especially around the contest were elite today. At the very least he'll be a very good player if those skills can become more frequent and transfer to the next level. Ready for a debut, which isn't something I was thinking a month ago. That said working through a tag at VFL level will be invaluable too.

39. Crocker - again worked hard, but didn't show enough to earn a recall

40. Bosenavulagi - not a huge amount of footy, but his development his year has trended upwards. Nice pace and great pressure, but today I seen fleeting glimpses that he could be more than that, one nice clearance comes to mind

47. Keane - the secret is out and his bandwagon is filling, but another good game today despite losing his feet on a couple of occasions. Probably doesn't debut this year, however could play if required.

49. Noble - another who looks too good for this level, elite pace and nice hands, on today's performance I'd have him on the plane to Adelaide

50. Woodward - we're very fortunate to have Woodward with our VFL side, he's clearly a class above this level

Thanks heaps mate. I missed the game, so it’s good to have someone there.

Don’t write off Murphy yet! We have two games for Roughead and Madgen to get injured! 😂

That is pretty much everyone now, who you want sacked

Have you missed anyone?
Not sure if you want Walsh sacked, he might be the only one....still, there is a few weeks left
Does being a slimy prick to Dave, fully knowing his issues, make you feel good? I hope so...

Does being a slimy prick to Dave, fully knowing his issues, make you feel good? I hope so...

Unfortunately we are conditioned that in the AFL when something bad happens that somebody gets fingered for the blame and they get summarily fired.

The only step that is missing is a public announcement of when the firing will take place so us fans can line up along Olympic Boulevard with piles of bad fruit and rotten eggs to pelt at the poor sod as they do the walk of shame, shielding their box of personal items from the onslaught ...

... a nice plant in a pot given to them by a loved one to decorate their desk, a framed photo of better times, a thoughtful gift from last year’s Kris Kringle.

AFL is a tough gig, who’d do it?

Last edited:
Back