VFL 2019 VFL R2 vs Foots (Fri 12th Apr, 4.30pm @ Holden Centre) - Wells returns

Remove this Banner Ad

The same venue curtain raiser being shown on 7 currently shows the issue with them - there’s simply no crowd.

It’s been 20 seasons since the amalgamation of the VFA/L & AFL reserves; habits have changed a lot during that time. With reserved seating increasing more and more there’s no need for people to arrive early anymore.

I didn’t... the comment seemed pretty pointed at the lack of vfl coverage..
That was definitely the main message but another tone was pretty clear. It was placed in the context of "our VFL boys" and their stalwart supporters being more deserving than "the brand new VFLW team." I actually agree with the message of the tone and would much prefer to watch VFL than AFLW, but the tone was definitely there, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

Unnecessarily stirred the pot? My interpretation was that he was comparing the media attention of AFLW and VFL and didn't think it was fair. He is perfectly entitled to that opinion is he not? His argument was criticised for being a 'bit salty'. I'll have to look that one up.
I don't think Kappa was combative at all. He made a statement, clarified it after he was challenged and still the arguing continued. Some here won't accept his position and are putting words into his mouth. Seems like a classic straw man to me.

I should have accepted Kappa's clarification of his comments once he did in fact clarify them. To be honest I didn't believe him because typically I'll go with my gut on things and interpreted his comments differently. I have also had many discussions (sometimes arguments) on this board, including with Kappa, where the point gets shifted in order to defend the argument. You say straw man, to be honest that's what I perceived was happening, but the other way around. Having looked back over Kappas posting history on the AFLW (that context is important) I can see I misinterpreted the comments and was wrong. One thing I do agree with is that the VFL coverage is shite and the club should lift it's game, even if it is only to service a small group of die hards.

That was definitely the main message but another tone was pretty clear. It was placed in the context of "our VFL boys" and their stalwart supporters being more deserving than "the brand new VFLW team." I actually agree with the message of the tone and would much prefer to watch VFL than AFLW, but the tone was definitely there, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.
Actually it was “our brand new AFLW team” just like it was “our VFL boys”. I think there was a tone there, but the outrage was a bit much.

Actually it was “our brand new AFLW team” just like it was “our VFL boys”. I think there was a tone there, but the outrage was a bit much.

I agree. Outrage was disproportionate. I just find it really annoying when posters point blank deny any implications or negative tone that existed in their original post and simply claim they didn't say that - even when it can be very easily inferred. Regardless of whether the tone is intentional, if a range of posters infer it that way, there's no point claiming it isn't there, it is there, even if it isn't representative of the posters intended opinion.

Going what Shane Berrie Tweeted it was a Dog Act

What did he tweet? 3 weeks is a pretty strong suspension by AFL standards so it must have been pretty ordinary. Half of what Gaff got and he broke a jaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should have accepted Kappa's clarification of his comments once he did in fact clarify them. To be honest I didn't believe him because typically I'll go with my gut on things and interpreted his comments differently. I have also had many discussions (sometimes arguments) on this board, including with Kappa, where the point gets shifted in order to defend the argument. You say straw man, to be honest that's what I perceived was happening, but the other way around. Having looked back over Kappas posting history on the AFLW (that context is important) I can see I misinterpreted the comments and was wrong. One thing I do agree with is that the VFL coverage is shite and the club should lift it's game, even if it is only to service a small group of die hards.

I had the same initial interpretation as you, and so I'll also apologise to Kappa for not immediately accepting his explanation.

I'm not immune to outrage, as it turns out. None of us are, but it's probably something we need to work on.

AFLW competition is terrible. I’ve said it many times before... it would be like watching AFL 100 years ago. The skills are atritious for 90% of the game. Why are we even arguing like it’s a gender thing. I appreciate AFLW and understand where it’s going but for now I won’t give it the time of day. Especially when we can be watching the VFL and trying to ascertain who comes in to improve our AFL team. The VFL coverage is shocking and needs to improve, if only to satisfy my selfish needs of selection.

AFLW competition is terrible. I’ve said it many times before... it would be like watching AFL 100 years ago. The skills are atritious for 90% of the game. Why are we even arguing like it’s a gender thing. I appreciate AFLW and understand where it’s going but for now I won’t give it the time of day. Especially when we can be watching the VFL and trying to ascertain who comes in to improve our AFL team. The VFL coverage is shocking and needs to improve, if only to satisfy my selfish needs of selection.

Did you watch the AFLW Grand Final? Adelaide are an amazing team...…...you just need to take of your blinkers and imagine that standard across the board in five years time.

Agree 100% in reagards to our VFL coverage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back