VFL 2019 VFL R6 vs Sandringham (Sun 12 May 2pm @ VICTORIA PARK)

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos is an interesting watch as has talent but spots are scant these days.

I can't see Daics finding a spot this year. To me, he's physically NQR for any role other than wing and we've got a swag of blokes competing for the wing spots: Phillips and Mayne, because they're NQR for other roles, plus WHE because of the queue of similar forwards in front of him, plus if at full strength a couple of gun mids because there are only so many centre square roles to go around.

I can't see Daics finding a spot this year. To me, he's physically NQR for any role other than wing and we've got a swag of blokes competing for the wing spots: Phillips and Mayne, because they're NQR for other roles, plus WHE because of the queue of similar forwards in front of him, plus if at full strength a couple of gun mids because there are only so many centre square roles to go around.
That’s the tight contest for spots.
Players will need other tricks or A grade talents in certain areas than being medium talent all round.

Hoskin-Elliott is gifted with than extra pure skill, so can play forward or wing etc. sticks that arm out, ball sticks.
Elliott is A grade for position, won’t be dislodged. And elite in the air.

It’s tough for the medium talents to get a spot and keep it.

He played 11 games in 2015 before he got that shoulder injury didn't he (in round 12?)? I think he was best 22 that year. As I said, easy to forget.

Yep, it's generally been injury that's forced him out rather than form. Was also a victim of the sub rule on a couple of occasions getting limited game time and given a run in the VFL the following week.

Really good call.

I think Wells does something, when playing, no player on our list does as well. That beautiful passing. He even hand waves the forward to go to position. If he’s healthy, I’d love to see him with ball in hand forward of centre and set up Cox and De Goey and then Stephenson or the Elliotts (one with Hyphen one without).
Then I know we’ll be hard to toss.

I think Sier will need an extra bow to add to his game if possible. That way it will be Greenwood or Aish looking over their shoulder. Though Sier tracks as beast mid so can he track to half forward, unsure at this stage.
I’d still prefer a fit Sier to Brown myself but I can’t deny that Callum has risen to the challenge and playing solid football. But for mine, he’s still vulnerable.
Everything I hear about him is positive. He has an insatiable appetite to learn and do everything required to maximise his career. Apples falling from trees.

Daicos is an interesting watch as has talent but spots are scant these days.

Murphy is a player I’m keen to see develop and get fully fit. He’s the one, on size and looks like very skilful that could be a long term player.

Crocker, alas, might be on his last year. Great personality and was captain of Oakleigh so hes not without pluses but suspect just not quite there.

Broomhead, now the guy has talent. The neuter how he fits in long term. If he’s happy on lower scale wages he’s nice depth. This might sound crazy but he’s best mates with Grundy so if there are line ball calls between say him and Crocker I’m not against the tie breaker in keeping Brody happy.

Goldsack such a great servant of our club. Mr 1% does everything with spirit and zest. But he’s more back up than not these days.

Quaynor and Appelby add to our deeper back area depth so will get games at some stage but we are so solid these days they will need patience. Quaynor looks very strong so he’ll learn and likely be a constant in a few years.

I was pleasantly pleased with seeing Will Kelly yesterday. Gee, he’s tall, I can see why he dwarfs his dad.
Runs to position well I’d suggest, though needs that physical strength which will come as he matures.
Looked very focused.

I’m curious on your views of Tyler Brown? I’m told he’s the better of Browns boys.
Yet a junior coach I bumped into recently told me, Callum is actually the better Brown.
I’m curious now. Same guy told me a year ago never mind Lukosious it’s Sam Walsh that’s the beauty.

Lots of good talent out there.

Agree with call on Sier but enough players around him to compliment his pretty linear style. Jack Ross is a similar player who has the attributes you probably talk of. Getting get seperation from the contest, spread pretty well and he is a good user who can attack. More Sier can do that the better.

Daicos I like bc of his skill. For mine he just needs the muscle to stand up in tackles and make them stick when he tackling. His ball use is elite though.

Agree totally on Murphy and Appleby (least goals kicked against him last year of any defender).

Re Callum I still prefer Sier when fit. Callum lacks pace, kick penetration and skill. Ultimately others will pass him.

Re Tyler - I suspect am with you. I still dont think he imposes himself on contests, not sure has enough speed for his role and lacks ability to get real separation. Tyler can really only play wing, I think there are plenty ahead of him to be honest.

Saw the brown brothers. Had a chat to Callum for a little bit. Nice guy.

Last time I saw the Brown Brothers I woke up the next morning with a cracking headache :oops:

Agree with call on Sier but enough players around him to compliment his pretty linear style. Jack Ross is a similar player who has the attributes you probably talk of. Getting get seperation from the contest, spread pretty well and he is a good user who can attack. More Sier can do that the better.

Daicos I like bc of his skill. For mine he just needs the muscle to stand up in tackles and make them stick when he tackling. His ball use is elite though.

Agree totally on Murphy and Appleby (least goals kicked against him last year of any defender).

Re Callum I still prefer Sier when fit. Callum lacks pace, kick penetration and skill. Ultimately others will pass him.

Re Tyler - I suspect am with you. I still dont think he imposes himself on contests, not sure has enough speed for his role and lacks ability to get real separation. Tyler can really only play wing, I think there are plenty ahead of him to be honest.

I liked all of that except the Callum comments. I also prefer Sier, but don't think the things you mentioned are issues. He projects as an inside mid - the pace you want for that role is the first few steps and his are lightning. You don't need kick penetration for that role. Skills look really neat to me. Plus seems to have genuine awareness in traffic, can find space with ball in his hands and makes really good decisions. The only concern I have is size and even that doesn't worry me - plenty of smaller blokes have been great on the inside, but you'd want to balance things with a brute like Sier.

Last time I saw the Brown Brothers I woke up the next morning with a cracking headache :oops:

Recommend replacing your pillow. In my experience, it's clearly faulty if you go to bed feeling great and wake with a headache, nothing at all to do with port, muscat or tokay or the consumption thereof.

(In the context of the seniors) I think Mayne has shown that despite poor kick penetration and slow pace there is always a spot for players who are switched on for 100% of the game, are defensively minded, are smart, and play their role in the team.

(In the context of the seniors) I think Mayne has shown that despite poor kick penetration and slow pace there is always a spot for players who are switched on for 100% of the game, are defensively minded, are smart, and play their role in the team.

agree but with mayne already i'd prefer not 2.
I like speed on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back