VFL 2019 VFL R6 vs Sandringham (Sun 12 May 2pm @ VICTORIA PARK)

Also keep in mind we lost Marty Hore and Tom Jok,I really think these 2 players where worthy of being AFL listed.

I'm more just looking at this year. With AFL lists being trimmed by upto 10 players a year, you're always going to lose a fair bit of talent each year.

To me though, if you go in with your talls including 2 Irishmen who have played about 4 games of footy in their life, and Kelly in about his 3rd senior game, then you're going to be in a bit of trouble to start with. Then if your midfield contains Woodward, Sier returning probably on limited minutes, and then a group of flankers to assist, you're in even more trouble. Pretty amazing to get within a point, especially when your decent ruckman gets injured early and you're left playing one of the Irishman in the ruck.

May 7, 2011
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Tottenham, Oakland Raiders
Thanks to Saintly Viewed and barrackers for running commentary.

Things that I am adding:

Thing 1. Walked in a few minutes late and stood for awhile next to this young boy who was telling everyone around him, 'that's my brother playing'. One person standing next to him asked 'which one' and the boy replied, 'the one with the dark skin'. It was Atu's little brother about 6 or 7.

Thing 2. Wells had a different boot on his right foot, orange sole and seemed built up. Perhaps due to his foot problems?

Thing 3. Shame about Woodward and his knee recos, very good player.

Of our listed players, my thoughts worth sharing (this is the third game I have seen live).

Sier needs another game.
Wells playing almost exclusively fwd, class player.
Varcoe, IQ, did some nice things.
Like the look of Kelly although nowhere near ready.
Goldsack, Broomhead - pass
Really liked Daicos's game today, found a lot of space as a link and kicked well. If the opportunity arises, would give him a chance.
Good to hear Daicos looking better. Type of skilled player that can fit in well at the higher level. Speaking of which, Maggie, does Wells look ready yet?

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood

Things that I am adding:

Thing 1. Walked in a few minutes late and stood for awhile next to this young boy who was telling everyone around him, 'that's my brother playing'. One person standing next to him asked 'which one' and the boy replied, 'the one with the dark skin'. It was Atu's little brother about 6 or 7.

Thing 2. Wells had a different boot on his right foot, orange sole and seemed built up. Perhaps due to his foot problems?

Of our listed players, my thoughts worth sharing (this is the third game I have seen live).

Sier needs another game.
Really liked Daicos's game today, found a lot of space as a link and kicked well. If the opportunity arises, would give him a chance.
Thanks Maggie for you views - Wells as a forward pocket is far from a poor option but possibly not what we had in mind when we recruited him. The built up boot is a great observation and an interesting insight as to why he seems to be progressing better this time - perhaps podiatrist advice??

Good to hear Daicos looking better. Type of skilled player that can fit in well at the higher level. Speaking of which, Maggie, does Wells look ready yet?
I think so, if Beams doesn't come up with Adams out, I would play him against the Saints. Daicos did impress me too though, played 'smart' today.

Sandy should of Flogged us really. They where Miles better then us
There Goal Kicking was the Reason we even had a Chance
We gave up eight shots on goal (6 behinds, 2 out on the full) after we hit the lead by 5 points. In the end I felt it was always a matter of whether Sandringham would beat us or whether the siren would beat Sandringham. We just couldn't clear half back, which was largely due to Sandringham pushing their defenders right up and us pushing numbers into their forward 50.

The main difference throughout the day was that their talls (Marsh, Longer and Rowe) have AFL standard bodies, whereas aside from Madgen and arguably Keane ours are barely VFL ready. Goldsack needs to play back.

Did Lynch get injured or something? If not, wow he was monstered. 71 hitouts to Longer vs 7....
Concussed via an accidental Sandringham knee in a marking contest early in the second quarter. Tohill was our main ruck there after with Goldsack only giving him an occasional chop out late.

Where is he playing in the VFL Maggie? I'd like them to develop him as a wingman.
That is where I thought he played. Lost his opponent often.

Just looked at his stats (thanks to Kirby)

2019-05-12_172442.jpg

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Anyone at the game is Wells ready enough to hide in the forwardline?

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Things that I am adding:

Sier needs another game.

Thanks.

Did Varcoe, Broomhead and Goldsack all play forward?

I heard that Sier is chasing big bucks -- rumour of course, just like the ones flying around about Moore last year. Will the accusations of "show pony" be brought out do you think?

Possibly true, but it sounds like the kind of rumour that another team supporting mate would make up based on nothing. Considering no-one seems to know what he is up to on a week to week basis, except that he played paintball at some stage over the last couple of years, I'd be skeptical of any rumours about his future.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I heard that Sier is chasing big bucks -- rumour of course, just like the ones flying around about Moore last year. Will the accusations of "show pony" be brought out do you think?
He’ll stay with us.

Rarely do players leave clubs unless one party or the other wants out.
Unless it’s the mother of all deals, players and clubs find a way.

That is where I thought he played. Lost his opponent often.

Just looked at his stats (thanks to Kirby)

View attachment 672385
Yep, Daicos largely played on the wing with Crocker on the other. Worked himself into much better positions today; often being one step removed from around the ground ruck contests meaning others could get the handball out to him. I like that role for him as his field kicking is generally very good.

Anyone at the game is Wells ready enough to hide in the forwardline?
He's played a month of VFL footy now. Mostly played a mix of full forward and half forward today, but did have runs in the centre. I think he's ready, but it would have to be in a pre-dominantly forward role.

Thanks.

Did Varcoe, Broomhead and Goldsack all play forward?
Varcoe - high half forward pushing deeper, pressure and tackling was good
Broomhead - mostly half forward, but was released into the midfield at times where he was often at the feet of the ruck. Slowly building fitness and consistency.
Goldsack - mostly forward, but was forced to ruck at times in the last quarter and dropped back once we got the lead.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some observations. Notwithstanding my focus on our listed players.

Wells did wear different boots.
Wells played nicely.
My understanding is him and Nathan will discuss when he thinks he’s ready and selection will then be determined if merited or not. He’s getting close is my feeling. Moving nicely.

Daicos did ok, surprised me, but got into thereabouts.

Kelly looks part of the future but not physically strong enough just yet. But will fill out and does position well.

Sier is close. Every now and again he did those things that scream, level above VFL. Not to overly state it but say compared to Wills, Sier just has that class. You know you’re seeing a level to good for VFL. There was one backwards type handball, beautiful. Another was his passing to set up a goal.
Good driver in heavy traffic.
Seniors? Very close.

Alex Woodward, great shame about his knees. Looks a steady senior career that he’s essentially missed out on. Played well. Great roll model for work ethic.

Quaynor, got amongst it. Will play seniors. Still a bit away but he looks like he’s taking everything in. Looks very stout too. He’s issue is the strength of the players in the back area. Quite a few in front of him.

Crocker? I kind of like his personality and what he gives of him self. But at cross roads. Is he realistically going to have a long term senior career? Not sure he will.

Goldsack. He’s handy depth. Just too many in front of him. But always putting in.

Other observations:

Crowd spotting: Dave, Alan Richardson, Robert Harvey.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
I heard that Sier is chasing big bucks -- rumour of course, just like the ones flying around about Moore last year.
He's had one good year with commitment issues early and injury issues of late, doubt he gets massive bucks, so we should still be in the box seat.

He's had one good year with commitment issues early and injury issues of late, doubt he gets massive bucks, so we should still be in the box seat.
He's a really exciting blue sky option though, so I think there could be massive discrepancies between how much teams are willing to offer, depending on how highly they value potential versus performance.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
One other observation.

The pleasure of being at Victoria Park for reserves footy over say the Holden Centre, night and day.

For what it’s worth, the reserves should be free entry as a general rule.

Back