eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Where does everyone see everyone at the moment? Richmond look the team to beat other than a shock loss to North, Essendon have looked good other than a tight loss to Richmond and a bad one against Casey (our bogie side), Port have won 6 on the trot and Footscray had a surprise loss to Geelong.

Tough season to read. Clear cut top 5 for me (the above plus Williamstown), a few teams that I didn't expect doing well (Werribee and Sandringham), and a couple of bizarre teams falling off a cliff (Collingwood and Casey).

pazza

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well played Frankston. Gets their first win of the season and in some style.

Richmond now have a 1.5 game lead over Port Melbourne as a result of the Borough/Seagull draw today.

Key matches next week:

Box Hill v Sandringham
Werribee v Williamstown
Port Melbourne v Essendon

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Love that Port and Willy played out a draw, two absolute classics. Sucks that we have Port Melbourne before a four day break heading into AFL, means we may be forced to rest the likes of Brown or Gleeson.

pazza

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Port were disappointing against a rampaging Essendon today. Would have expected a better effort given how good the Borough had been before that.

Collingwood's win at the Kennel a true upset.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
That was the best performance I've seen Essendon have in the VFL. Absolute domination from start to finish against a genuine contender. Especially considering they were resting players before/after HT

Rickee

Senior List
May 23, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Port has a fairly long injury list, and lost 3 players to injury during the week as well as our only fit ruck to suspension, forcing two debutantes. I think it shows the glaring lack of depth available to stand alone VFL sides, especially without the dedicated reserves comp.

Not much of an excuse for that poor of a performance on our home deck, but I think it's an aberration rather than a trend.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port has a fairly long injury list, and lost 3 players to injury during the week as well as our only fit ruck to suspension, forcing two debutantes. I think it shows the glaring lack of depth available to stand alone VFL sides, especially without the dedicated reserves comp.

Not much of an excuse for that poor of a performance on our home deck, but I think it's an aberration rather than a trend.
I agree. Given Footscray's lacklustre form and a tough couple of weeks (Port at NPO, Richmond at WO), Port and Willy are likely to finish top 4 for me from here. Think the ladder ends up as:

Richmond
Essendon
Williamstown
Port Melbourne
Footscray
Box Hill
Werribee
Casey
-------------------------
Sandringham
Geelong
Preston
Collingwood
Coburg
North Melbourne
Frankston

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rickee

Senior List
May 23, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Top 4 would be a fantastic result for us, given the amount of games at home we have (we are only away once more) and the players we will have returning after the bye, I could even see us pushing past Essendon and Willi into to top 2. Once we are there it's a whole new season and we could even snag an 18th Flag.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So Footscray hand the Borough their second beating in as many weeks, Casey move within 2 points of the 8 with a 6 goal win against Box Hill, which helps Geelong pass their rivals with a 14 point win against Preston, Collingwood beat North to keep their very slim finals hopes alive, Richmond do what Richmond does and keep winning, Essendon win a thriller against bogey side Werribee and Coburg edge over the line against Frankston.

Footscray vs Richmond will be interesting, the Dogs can really make a claim to a top 4 spot with a win.
Werribee should beat Collingwood, despite the Pies' recent run of good form.
Loser of Box Hill and Geelong could well drop outside of the 8 if...
Casey beat Preston as expected, the former looking for their 4th win in a row.
Williamstown should put themselves 4 points and significant percentage ahead of Port Melbourne with a win over Frankston.
Sandringham can keep themselves in the conversation with a likely win against North Melbourne.
Finally my conflicted battle will probably see Essendon get a 10 point advantage to Port and Footscray, or slide into top spot if Footscray win.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Big results yesterday with Footscray stamping themselves as legitimate contenders with a big win against Richmond, Collingwood upsetting Werribee to move within 4 points of the top 8, Box Hill moving to 6th with a tight win against Geelong, Casey beating Preston by 13 behinds, and Williamstown only beating Frankston by 10 goals rather than the 80+ mmost would have been expecting.

Sandy should move level with Casey, Geelong and Werribee against North Melbourne and Essendon should also move to first with a win against Coburg.

pazza

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Essendon go top with a near 29% break on Richmond.

North had a big win at Arden St.

Next week:

Essendon v North Melbourne
Collingwood v Williamstown
Port Melbourne v Northern Blues
Geelong v Sandringham
Richmond v Werribee
Footscray v Casey
Frankston v Box Hill

pazza

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Top 4 have cleared out from the rest of the 8 now. But will the bye and injuries stop Essendon's momentum? Match of the day this week is at Box Hill as they take on Richmond.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Top 4 have cleared out from the rest of the 8 now. But will the bye and injuries stop Essendon's momentum? Match of the day this week is at Box Hill as they take on Richmond.
Box Hill looked shaky today against Frankston. Werribee vs Port could be fascinating. Both are in poor form now, but finals places are up for grabs

Top Bottom