2019 VFL/VFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

North beating Tigers today is a much bigger upset than last night surely?
Yep. Tigers are a very strong outfit in the VFL and North, all due respect, have been crap in the VFL.

Where does everyone see everyone at the moment? Richmond look the team to beat other than a shock loss to North, Essendon have looked good other than a tight loss to Richmond and a bad one against Casey (our bogie side), Port have won 6 on the trot and Footscray had a surprise loss to Geelong.

Tough season to read. Clear cut top 5 for me (the above plus Williamstown), a few teams that I didn't expect doing well (Werribee and Sandringham), and a couple of bizarre teams falling off a cliff (Collingwood and Casey).

Love that Port and Willy played out a draw, two absolute classics. Sucks that we have Port Melbourne before a four day break heading into AFL, means we may be forced to rest the likes of Brown or Gleeson.

That was the best performance I've seen Essendon have in the VFL. Absolute domination from start to finish against a genuine contender. Especially considering they were resting players before/after HT

Port has a fairly long injury list, and lost 3 players to injury during the week as well as our only fit ruck to suspension, forcing two debutantes. I think it shows the glaring lack of depth available to stand alone VFL sides, especially without the dedicated reserves comp.

Not much of an excuse for that poor of a performance on our home deck, but I think it's an aberration rather than a trend.

Port has a fairly long injury list, and lost 3 players to injury during the week as well as our only fit ruck to suspension, forcing two debutantes. I think it shows the glaring lack of depth available to stand alone VFL sides, especially without the dedicated reserves comp.

Not much of an excuse for that poor of a performance on our home deck, but I think it's an aberration rather than a trend.
I agree. Given Footscray's lacklustre form and a tough couple of weeks (Port at NPO, Richmond at WO), Port and Willy are likely to finish top 4 for me from here. Think the ladder ends up as:

Richmond
Essendon
Williamstown
Port Melbourne
Footscray
Box Hill
Werribee
Casey
-------------------------
Sandringham
Geelong
Preston
Collingwood
Coburg
North Melbourne
Frankston

Top 4 would be a fantastic result for us, given the amount of games at home we have (we are only away once more) and the players we will have returning after the bye, I could even see us pushing past Essendon and Willi into to top 2. Once we are there it's a whole new season and we could even snag an 18th Flag.

So Footscray hand the Borough their second beating in as many weeks, Casey move within 2 points of the 8 with a 6 goal win against Box Hill, which helps Geelong pass their rivals with a 14 point win against Preston, Collingwood beat North to keep their very slim finals hopes alive, Richmond do what Richmond does and keep winning, Essendon win a thriller against bogey side Werribee and Coburg edge over the line against Frankston.

Footscray vs Richmond will be interesting, the Dogs can really make a claim to a top 4 spot with a win.
Werribee should beat Collingwood, despite the Pies' recent run of good form.
Loser of Box Hill and Geelong could well drop outside of the 8 if...
Casey beat Preston as expected, the former looking for their 4th win in a row.
Williamstown should put themselves 4 points and significant percentage ahead of Port Melbourne with a win over Frankston.
Sandringham can keep themselves in the conversation with a likely win against North Melbourne.
Finally my conflicted battle will probably see Essendon get a 10 point advantage to Port and Footscray, or slide into top spot if Footscray win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big results yesterday with Footscray stamping themselves as legitimate contenders with a big win against Richmond, Collingwood upsetting Werribee to move within 4 points of the top 8, Box Hill moving to 6th with a tight win against Geelong, Casey beating Preston by 13 behinds, and Williamstown only beating Frankston by 10 goals rather than the 80+ mmost would have been expecting.

Sandy should move level with Casey, Geelong and Werribee against North Melbourne and Essendon should also move to first with a win against Coburg.

Top 4 have cleared out from the rest of the 8 now. But will the bye and injuries stop Essendon's momentum? Match of the day this week is at Box Hill as they take on Richmond.
Box Hill looked shaky today against Frankston. Werribee vs Port could be fascinating. Both are in poor form now, but finals places are up for grabs

Richmond's win and Essendon's bye hands Richmond outright top spot. Werribee having a handy win at home over Port has made that bottom half of the 8 interesting.

Match of the day next week looks to be Williamstown's big match at home against Essendon. Could the weather have an impact, as it often does at Point Gellibrand!

Port have a crucial last month coming up. The games are all winnable, as three are at home and all but 1 are against bottom 4 sides. Really need to win all 4 comfortably due to a low percentage for any chance of a top 4 finish. Most likely will finish 5/6, though, which isn't that bad considering the injuries we have had.

Port have a crucial last month coming up. The games are all winnable, as three are at home and all but 1 are against bottom 4 sides. Really need to win all 4 comfortably due to a low percentage for any chance of a top 4 finish. Most likely will finish 5/6, though, which isn't that bad considering the injuries we have had.
Top 4 is virtually locked. They can't overtake Richmond, and even though Essendon play both Footscray, Williamstown and Richmond, they only need one win to secure it. Footscray have both Frankston and Coburg in their run home, and Willy also have Coburg and an out of form Werribee in there too.

Willy 4.20 at 3/4 time and kicked 0.10 in the 3rd quarter with 3 posters. Still won by 21, very decent side, hope they can topple the AFL teams. Just doubting they might not quite have enough. Dogs look dangerous with their AFL team probably not playing finals whereas Tigers, Bombers and cats will play AFL finals and probably all go past the 1st week. Dogs could legally drop some talent back in time for finals and with a smallish injury list.

Willy 4.20 at 3/4 time and kicked 0.10 in the 3rd quarter with 3 posters. Still won by 21, very decent side, hope they can topple the AFL teams. Just doubting they might not quite have enough. Dogs look dangerous with their AFL team probably not playing finals whereas Tigers, Bombers and cats will play AFL finals and probably all go past the 1st week. Dogs could legally drop some talent back in time for finals and with a smallish injury list.
Good thing for Essendon is that there are 17 players already qualified for them, only two of which (D Clarke and Gleeson) are likely to play AFL finals on current form, with Tom Jok (1 game), Mark Baguley (1 game and 3 or less AFL games rest of the year) and Kobe Mutch (not play AFL rest of the year) also likely to qualify. How many AFL listers do Footscray have qualified out of curiosity?

Good thing for Essendon is that there are 17 players already qualified for them, only two of which (D Clarke and Gleeson) are likely to play AFL finals on current form, with Tom Jok (1 game), Mark Baguley (1 game and 3 or less AFL games rest of the year) and Kobe Mutch (not play AFL rest of the year) also likely to qualify. How many AFL listers do Footscray have qualified out of curiosity?

On my rough calculations, Dogs currently have 20 AFL listed players who could play VFL finals, 10 of whom have played AFL games this year (inc Bailey Dale and Will Hayes). Only 2 of the 10 played last Sunday in the AFL. Another 4 have played AFL in previous seasons (inc Morris and Jong) but not 2019. The other six are 1st or 2nd year listed players without AFL experience.

Of the 20, two have played very little or no football this year so probably won't be fit or qualified and two more may not qualify by the end of the season by playing too many AFL games (Schache and Gowers).

Important for all top 4 sides to win their 1st week qualifiers to avoid the likely "home" final v Port at Port.

One of my little bugbears re VFL finals but I'll leave that for another day.

On my rough calculations, Dogs currently have 20 AFL listed players who could play VFL finals, 10 of whom have played AFL games this year (inc Bailey Dale and Will Hayes). Only 2 of the 10 played last Sunday in the AFL. Another 4 have played AFL in previous seasons (inc Morris and Jong) but not 2019. The other six are 1st or 2nd year listed players without AFL experience.

Of the 20, two have played very little or no football this year so probably won't be fit or qualified and two more may not qualify by the end of the season by playing too many AFL games (Schache and Gowers).

Important for all top 4 sides to win their 1st week qualifiers to avoid the likely "home" final v Port at Port.

One of my little bugbears re VFL finals but I'll leave that for another day.
Basic is 6+ VFL games and 0-12 AFL games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back