2019 VFL/VFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Big win for us over the dons
Makes interesting to see who gets the home prelim. I reckon Essendon vs Footscray and Essendon vs Richmond will be crucial.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Princes Park to host both Grand Finals on the Sunday. Not a fan, I think if they go suburban it should be at North Port, the home of VFL.

Not a fan of that dump (Princes Park that is). Has been held there previously, limited parking and public transport, run down facilities.

Shame the AFL can't or wont open Marvel for the event.

Not a fan of using Port either. Bad enough copping Port at Port during the finals let alone when you win the "right" to a home final. Unfair to play Port there in a GF. Willy and Port the biggest home ground advantages in the VFL. Stay neutral.

Not a fan of that dump (Princes Park that is). Has been held there previously, limited parking and public transport, run down facilities.

Not a fan of using Port either. Bad enough copping Port at Port during the finals let alone when you win the "right" to a home final. Unfair to play Port there in a GF. Willy and Port the biggest home ground advantages in the VFL. Stay neutral.
NPO is the home of VFL football. Also don't think they'll last beyond week 1, both Werribee and Geelong are better sides than them comfortably. As for other grounds, most of them have been booked by other comps for finals due to the VFL not using them during finals.

I think it's the right move to go back to Suburbia but go with North Port. The home of the VFL.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons

Given Port are a semi professional side playing against 95% AFL listed players, I think it's a bit ironic to whinge about what and what isn't "fair". The VFL hasn't been "neutral" for a very long time, It's an AFL Reserves competition that they allow a few real sides to compete in until they can kill us off.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Given Port are a semi professional side playing against 95% AFL listed players, I think it's a bit ironic to whinge about what and what isn't "fair". The VFL hasn't been "neutral" for a very long time, It's an AFL Reserves competition that they allow a few real sides to compete in until they can kill us off.
Hearing a rumour about Port Melbourne and Williamstown wanting out of the VFL if it’s expanded for eastern state AFL Reserves.
Any truth?

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hearing a rumour about Port Melbourne and Williamstown wanting out of the VFL if it’s expanded for eastern state AFL Reserves.
Any truth?
I haven't, but I wouldn't be shocked if the licences weren't even offered when this occurs. I have been an advocate of leaving for the SFL for a while now.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
I haven't, but I wouldn't be shocked if the licences weren't even offered when this occurs. I have been an advocate of leaving for the SFL for a while now.
I doubt it’d happen but there’s a rumour in SA that they have both enquired for licences to join the SANFL in 2021.

Southern? Seriously? The weakest metro league by a mile

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southern? Seriously? The weakest metro league by a mile
I personally think leaving for a suburban league is our best chance of survival. I don't know much about the SFL, just that it's the closest one to our area. I expect AFL Victoria wouldn't let us leave anyway, as they need our ground for their finals for one, they'd rather kill us or merge us into an AFL reserves side.

If Eddie gets his way and the VFL becomes the official reserves for the AFL or the Eastern states thereof, our days are numbered anyway.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I doubt it’d happen but there’s a rumour in SA that they have both enquired for licences to join the SANFL in 2021.
I doubt either of us could afford to play in Adelaide every second week, but it's a nice thought. We are the strongest of the stand alone sides remaining, and we should be enquiring about joining a more evenly managed competition while we are still in a position to do so.

I personally think leaving for a suburban league is our best chance of survival. I don't know much about the SFL, just that it's the closest one to our area. I expect AFL Victoria wouldn't let us leave anyway, as they need our ground for their finals for one, they'd rather kill us or merge us into an AFL reserves side.

If Eddie gets his way and the VFL becomes the official reserves for the AFL or the Eastern states thereof, our days are numbered anyway.
You're probably closer to the WDFL actually, at least if you go there you an maintain your Willy rivalry twice a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
I doubt either of us could afford to play in Adelaide every second week, but it's a nice thought. We are the strongest of the stand alone sides remaining, and we should be enquiring about joining a more evenly managed competition while we are still in a position to do so.
Finances are the issue on both sides but as an avid SANFL supporter I’d love for both teams to join and if it means pi$$ing off the two reserves sides then all the better.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
So i see all this talk about an Eastern reserves league......

What are the parts or rumours that we know??

I think it would be a great idea actually.

So i see all this talk about an Eastern reserves league......

What are the parts or rumours that we know??

I think it would be a great idea actually.
From what I can gather, if it happens it'll be Brisbane, N*rthern Bl*es, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Box Hill, Casey, North, Richmond, Sandringham, Sydney and Footscray, the NEAFL splitting into the QAFL and NSWFL again (so that their running costs are lower) and the leftover VFL teams left to rot.

GrumpyOldMan_NC

Monday's Expert
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
From what I can gather, if it happens it'll be Brisbane, N*rthern Bl*es, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Box Hill, Casey, North, Richmond, Sandringham, Sydney and Footscray, the NEAFL splitting into the QAFL and NSWFL again (so that their running costs are lower) and the leftover VFL teams left to rot.

Except it won't be Northern Blues, Box Hill, Casey and Sandringham, it'll be Carlton, Hawthorn, Melbourne and St Kilda. I'd say the rumps of the used and abused local teams will be cut loose to join the stand alone clubs now that their supporters, admin, etc have been squeezed dry and no longer needed. I hope their mothers get thanked for the rabbits.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Except it won't be Northern Blues, Box Hill, Casey and Sandringham, it'll be Carlton, Hawthorn, Melbourne and St Kilda. I'd say the rumps of the used and abused local teams will be cut loose to join the stand alone clubs now that their supporters, admin, etc have been squeezed dry and no longer needed. I hope their mothers get thanked for the rabbits.

I said to some other Port Melbourne supporters years ago that we should have got together with the other standalone sides and neogiate entry into a competition like the VAFA.

A comp with sides like Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Coburg, Frankston and Sandringham alongside the likes of Uni Blues, Old Xavs, Old Brighton, Old Melburnians, St Bernards, etc. makes sense to me.

Breaking up Port Melbourne and Williamstown into seperate leagues takes away that famed rivalry.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I said to some other Port Melbourne supporters years ago that we should have got together with the other standalone sides and neogiate entry into a competition like the VAFA.

A comp with sides like Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Coburg, Frankston and Sandringham alongside the likes of Uni Blues, Old Xavs, Old Brighton, Old Melburnians, St Bernards, etc. makes sense to me.

Breaking up Port Melbourne and Williamstown into seperate leagues takes away that famed rivalry.
but then the screen time on seven would be taken away from them..... i cant see port liking that!!

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Bit of a tangent but in my mind this has been a failure of proper governance and it’s time that there’s a national governing body that looks after the whole code, not the self appointed custodians of the game controlling the code to suit one competition.
It’s ar$e about.
State league teams and their history need to be celebrated and protected, not used and abused.

GrumpyOldMan_NC

Monday's Expert
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
but then the screen time on seven would be taken away from them..... i cant see port liking that!!
I'm pretty sure that the AFL would be pushing for the screen time to be for their brand new reserves competition (as opposed to their old reserves competition which was gutted because NSW and Qld couldn't cope with it all). Be interesting to see which grounds they intend to use and whether the rump clubs are evicted. Pretty sure they won't be playing curtain raisers on the big boys' grounds

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I'm pretty sure that the AFL would be pushing for the screen time to be for their brand new reserves competition (as opposed to their old reserves competition which was gutted because NSW and Qld couldn't cope with it all). Be interesting to see which grounds they intend to use and whether the rump clubs are evicted. Pretty sure they won't be playing curtain raisers on the big boys' grounds
If there was to be a Reserves league, these would be the grounds I would think the club would play at:
Adelaide: Thebarton Oval (AFLW Former Home) Norwood Oval (Norwood, AFLW Home)
Brisbane: Springfield (Future T&A Centre) South Pines Sports Complex (AFLW) Moreton Bay Sports Complex (AFLW)
Carlton: Ikon Park (AFLW Home) Latrobe University (VFLW)
Collingwood: Olympic Park Oval (AFLW Home) Olympic Park Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home)
Essendon: Windy Hill (VFL Home) The Hangar (VFLW Home)
Fremantle: Fremantle Oval (AFLW Home)
Geelong: GMHBA Stadium (VFL Home, VFLW Home) Deakin University Oval (VFLW Home)
Gold Coast: Metricon Stadium (Home) Fankhauser Reserve (Southport) Merrimac Oval (Broadbeach) Great Barrier Reef Arena (AFLW Home)
Giants: Giants Stadium (AFL, NEAFL Home) Tom Wills Oval (T&A Centre) Blacktown ISP (AFLW Home) Drummoyne Oval (AFLW Home)
Hawthorn: Waverley Park (T&A Centre) Box Hill City Oval (VFLW Home)
Melbourne: Casey Fields (Casey, AFLW Home)
Kangaroos: Arden Street Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home, AFLW Home) Avalon Airport Oval (Werribee, AFLW Home)
Port Adelaide: Alberton Oval (T&A Centre, SANFL Home)
Richmond: Punt Road Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home, AFLW Home)
St Kilda: Moorabbin Oval (T&A Centre, AFLW Home)
Sydney: Blacktown ISP (Sydney NEAFL)
Tasmania: Blundstone Arena, UTAS Stadium
West Coast: Lathlain Park (T&A Centre, Perth WAFL) Joondalup Arena (West Perth) Leederville Oval (East Perth)
Bulldogs: Whitten Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home, AFLW Home)

Maybe this could be a perfect opportunity to start a Tasmanian Team as well before it enters the AFL (playing in the AFL Reserves league for lets say 2 years to get ready)

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
If there was to be a Reserves league, these would be the grounds I would think the club would play at:
Adelaide: Thebarton Oval (AFLW Former Home) Norwood Oval (Norwood, AFLW Home)
Brisbane: Springfield (Future T&A Centre) South Pines Sports Complex (AFLW) Moreton Bay Sports Complex (AFLW)
Carlton: Ikon Park (AFLW Home) Latrobe University (VFLW)
Collingwood: Olympic Park Oval (AFLW Home) Olympic Park Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home)
Essendon: Windy Hill (VFL Home) The Hangar (VFLW Home)
Fremantle: Fremantle Oval (AFLW Home)
Geelong: GMHBA Stadium (VFL Home, VFLW Home) Deakin University Oval (VFLW Home)
Gold Coast: Metricon Stadium (Home) Fankhauser Reserve (Southport) Merrimac Oval (Broadbeach) Great Barrier Reef Arena (AFLW Home)
Giants: Giants Stadium (AFL, NEAFL Home) Tom Wills Oval (T&A Centre) Blacktown ISP (AFLW Home) Drummoyne Oval (AFLW Home)
Hawthorn: Waverley Park (T&A Centre) Box Hill City Oval (VFLW Home)
Melbourne: Casey Fields (Casey, AFLW Home)
Kangaroos: Arden Street Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home, AFLW Home) Avalon Airport Oval (Werribee, AFLW Home)
Port Adelaide: Alberton Oval (T&A Centre, SANFL Home)
Richmond: Punt Road Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home, AFLW Home)
St Kilda: Moorabbin Oval (T&A Centre, AFLW Home)
Sydney: Blacktown ISP (Sydney NEAFL)
Tasmania: Blundstone Arena, UTAS Stadium
West Coast: Lathlain Park (T&A Centre, Perth WAFL) Joondalup Arena (West Perth) Leederville Oval (East Perth)
Bulldogs: Whitten Oval (T&A Centre, VFL Home, AFLW Home)

Maybe this could be a perfect opportunity to start a Tasmanian Team as well before it enters the AFL (playing in the AFL Reserves league for lets say 2 years to get ready)
Including Tassie into the VFL Reserves comp is their plan, as yet this comp won’t include any AFL teams from WA & SA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back