News 2019 - VFLW R14 RICHMOND V CARLTON SAT 10 AUG - ****NOTE - VENUE CHANGE**** Game has been moved to Ikon Park. Now at 1.00pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

23rd Player: RICH -54. T. Brett CARL - 17. B. Gutknecht

RICH
IN: J. Hocking, T. Brett, R. Miller

OUT: L. Davie, M. Edwards, G. Egan

CARL
IN: T. Cassar, G. Pound, S. Mason, B. Gutknecht, J. Hosking

OUT: C. Dalton, N. Plane, D. Vescio, C. Wilson, M. Prespakis

AFLW Listed Players (Listed AFLW for 2019 season):

Richmond -
Madeline Brancatisano, Phoebe Monahan, Sabrina Frederick, Monique Conti

Carl - Emerson Woods, Lauren Brazzale, Katie Loynes, Georgia Gee, Gabriella Pound, Jess Hosking, Mia-Rae Clifford, Abbie McKay,

Ladder:
Richmond 3rd - Played 11 Won 7 Lost 4
Carlton - 12th - Played 11 Won 2 Lost 8 Drawn 1

FORM:

Richmond

R1 (W) 12.7.79 v Darebin 7.2.44
R2 Bye
R3 (W) 8.10.58 v Essendon 3.5.23
R4 (W) 5.7.37 v Melbourne Uni 4.10.34
R5 (W) 8.7.55 v Geelong 5.3.33
R6 (W) 7.7.49 v NT Thunder 3.10.28
R7 Bye
R8 (W) 9.11.65 v Casey Demons 4.2.26
R9 (L) 2.10.22 v Western Bulldogs 4.4.28
R10 (L) 1.3.9 v Melbourne Uni 11.11.77
R11 (L) 6.2.38 v Hawthorn 7.9.51
R12 (L) 3.4.22 v Collingwood 3.8.26
R13 (W) 7.16.58 v Williamstown 1.4.10

Carlton
R1 Bye
R2 (L) 2.7.19 v Casey 7.8.50
R3 (L) 1.4.10 v Saints 4.10.34
R4 (L) 2.3.15 v Essendon 5.2.32
R5 (L) 7.4.46 v NT Thunder 8.5.53
R6 (W) 3.8.26 v Bulldogs 1.4.10
R7 Bye
R8 (L) 4.2.26 v Geelong 5.3.33
R9 (L) 6.9.45 v NT Thunder 7.5.47
R10 (D) 3.6.24 v Hawthorn 3.6.24
R11 (W) 9.5.59 v Williamstown 4.2.26
R12 (L) 5.5.35 v Melb Uni 12.9.81
R13 (L) 4.4.28 v Collingwood 5.5.35

Another must win game for the Tigers and we need to win well after blowing percentage last week by kicking 7.16. Melbourne Uni (who would be favourites against 7 placed Geelong this week) are a game behind on 24 points but are almost identical on percentage 129.1% v ours being 129.5%.

It's fair to say our job has been made a lot easier with AFLW players Maddy Prespakis, Darcy Vescio, Charlotte Wilson, Natalie Plane and Chloe Dalton out of their side this week. Prespakis is a huge loss. Racks up big numbers of disposals and a class above all around her. Tough nut Jess Hosking's inclusion is timely for them and Katie Loynes played well last week.

For us Rebecca Miller comes back along with Justine Hocking. Exciting times for Teagan Brett as she makes her debut for the yellow and black as our 23rd player. Teagan was recently invited to October's NAB AFLW Draft Combine after a good season for the Murray Bushrangers. One to keep an eye on.

Expect Alice Edmonds to again feed our midfielders throughout the game. Alana Woodward had an amazing 20 tackles last week against Williamstown and if it isn't a competition record then it must be very close to it. A repeat performance of last week (with a bit more scoring accuracy added in) should keep the momentum going and see us score a good win against what can be a tricky opponent.

Last edited:
VFLW Tigers poised to face Blues
Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au
Aug 9, 2019 11:39AM

Galvanised by a triumphant win over Williamstown last Sunday, the VFLW Tigers will look to produce a similar result this Saturday when they tackle Carlton at Ikon Park.

With three rounds remaining, a win over the Blues would provide the currently third-placed Tigers the opportunity to consolidate their position inside the top six.

The game was originally scheduled for 11.00am at La Trobe University, Bundoora, but has been moved to Ikon Park at 1.00pm.

Richmond’s defensive stocks are set to be boosted by the return of recently signed AFLW Tiger Rebecca Miller, who missed last weekend’s win.

Rounding out the Tigers’ inclusions for the Blues clash are Millie Klingbeil, Imogen Milford, Justine Hocking and Sarah Last.

Richmond will also unveil a debutant in Teagan Brett, a promising Murray Bushrangers product and Vic Country representative, as its 23rd player.

Out of the side that defeated the Seagulls by 48 points in Round 13 are Lisa Davie, Madeline Edwards and Grace Egan.

Tiger fans can follow live updates from Ikon Park via the Richmond Women's Instagram and Twitter accounts.

VFLW Tigers poised to face Blues
Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au
Aug 9, 2019 11:39AM

Rounding out the Tigers’ inclusions for the Blues clash are Millie Klingbeil, Imogen Milford, Justine Hocking and Sarah Last.

Klingbeil, Milford and Last are listed as emergencies. I'm not sure I understand the reasons for them to be listed as inclusions. This happens every week with all VFLW teams so its not just a Richmond thing. I just don't get it. If someone knows please tell.

Great result 4 points and some % gained over Nth.

Melb Uni have a bye next week so if we can keep our percentage up they are unlikely to overtake us.

Hawks are only 2 points behind but have really tough games against Pies and Saints.

Need a good performance against Dogs next week at home.

Great result 4 points and some % gained over Nth.

Melb Uni have a bye next week so if we can keep our percentage up they are unlikely to overtake us.

Hawks are only 2 points behind but have really tough games against Pies and Saints.

Need a good performance against Dogs next week at home.

Teagan Brett our 23 player three goals from 11 disposals.
A fair effort for a 18 year old in her first VFLW game, one to watch come draft time.
Tayla Stahl 3 goals, looked back to her goal kicking best
Monique Conti showing why we gave up our No1 pick, a class above this level with 26 disposals, 7 tackles, 8 clearances, 5 inside 50's and a goal
Alice Edmonds with a heap of hit outs helped our midfield get first use of the ball
well done to all our players for a great team effort

Last edited:
Last edited:
VFLW Tigers dominate Blues
Genevieve Thorpe, richmondfc.com.au
Aug 10, 2019 7:13PM

The VFLW Tigers have recorded a commanding 48-point win over Carlton at Ikon Park on Saturday afternoon.

The 10.9 (69) to 3.3 (21) victory marked back-to-back wins for the Tigers, and was an important opportunity for the side to consolidate their position within the top six.

The Tigers were met with slippery conditions at Ikon Park as the first bounce came with a drizzle of rain.

The wet and windy conditions were not conducive to scoring and both sides remained goalless for the first quarter.

But the gloomy weather did not dampen the Tigers’ spirits. Richmond returned after the first break rejuvenated and ready to pounce.

Key forward Courtney Wakefield got the ball rolling for the Tigers, securing the first major of the game early in the second term.

Tayla Stahl built on Wakefield’s momentum with two goals within two minutes.

Stahl was prolific, finishing the game with three majors, four marks and six tackles.

_D9I7957.jpg

A late goal to Tiger debutant Teagan Brett stretched Richmond’s lead to 24 points at half-time.

Brett, a Murray Bushrangers product and Vic Country representative, had an outstanding first game in the Yellow and Black, booting three goals from 11 disposals.

The Tigers attacked the third quarter with a flurry of four goals in a five-minute period, courtesy of Monique Conti, Tayla Stahl, Jenna Colwell and skipper Jess Kennedy, holding Carlton goalless for that term.

The final term opened with a goal by Hannah Ibrahim before Carlton snagged two consecutive goals.

But thanks to Richmond’s rock-solid defence, led by Phoebe Monahan, the Blues were kept to just three goals for the entirety of the match as the Tigers secured a convincing win.

_D9I8022.jpg

Monique Conti starred as she led the team for disposals (26), tackles (7), clearances (8) and inside-50s (5).

She created opportunities for Richmond’s forwards and provided excellent delivery inside 50

_D9I7802.jpg

The Tigers dominated hit-outs (52-13), with Alice Edmonds stellar in the ruck as she gave Richmond’s midfielders first use.

Kennedy racked up 11 disposals and three tackles, as well as a left-foot goal in the third term.

Richmond VFLW coach Tom Hunter commended her for excelling both in her leadership and in her performance on the field.

“I’m really proud of the way JK’s been playing. She leads us in and around the contest,” said Hunter.

“She’s been doing very well and we’re very proud of how she’s leading the girls, but also how she’s playing herself."

The VFLW Tigers will return home to the Swinburne Centre next Saturday, 17 August to face the Western Bulldogs at 12.30pm.

The Tigers met the Bulldogs in Round 9, where the Bulldogs were victorious by a narrow six points.

Hunter said the Tigers look forward to the opportunity to play the high-contest side again.

“I envision it’s going to be a high-contest, high-tackling game, so we’ll really embrace that and look forward to that,” Hunter said.

“We learned a lot of lessons the last time we played the Bulldogs, so it’s going to be a really great opportunity.”

_D9I7983.jpg

_D9I7948.jpg

_D9I7999.jpg

_D9I7979.jpg

_D9I8308.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back