News 2019 - VFLW R5 RICHMOND V GEELONG 02:30 PM / SAT 8 JUNE - SWINBURNE CENTRE

Remove this Banner Ad

Conti is a unreal pickup for us. Well worth trading our first for her.

She is 19 so effectively it was the same as going into the draft and picking up a youngster except we picked up one of the games best players who will lead our midfield for years to come (if basketball doesn't take her)

No don't think basketball will take her away, bit like Erin Phillips, will play for Australia but will come back in the AFLW season
Heck the amount of money she'll be making in the AFLW, she'll be able to start her own basketball team, eventually retire a very wealthy young woman.
Bookmark it Monique being the highest paid player in the AFLW

No don't think basketball will take her away, bit like Erin Phillips, will play for Australia but will come back in the AFLW season
Heck the amount of money she'll be making in the AFLW, she'll be able to start her own basketball team, eventually retire a very wealthy young woman.

Reality is that players will NOT be wealthy on the back of playing AFLW. She could make more money as a WNBA player in the US if her basketball is good enough and if she is good enough to play for Australia then the interest from the US will perk up. There is also good money in other places like China.

AFLW payments this year:

— Tier one players: Two players from each team will earn $24,600 (up from 20,000 in 2018)
— Tier two players: Six players from each team will earn $19,000 (up from $14,500 in 2018)
— Tier three players: Six players from each team will earn $16,200 (up from $10,500 in 2018)
— Tier four players: 16 players from each team will earn $13,400 (up from $8,500 in 2018)

I'm tipping Katie Brennan and Sabrina Frederick occupy tier one so unless the AFL changes the number of players that can be tier 1 then Monique will be tier 2.

There are other little bonus's like ambassadorial role payments but again Richmond's allocation will probably mostly go to the highest profile players like Katie and Sabrina. The actual money pool for ambassadorial roles was $100,000 across the whole AFLW this year so even including Monique in this, its not big money.

There are also finals bonus's.

- All teams in finals sharing a jackpot of $127,500
- Each player in the winning Grand Final team will take home $2000, while the runners up will all receive $1,250 in prize money
- A lump sum of $500 will be handed to each participant in the teams that make the Preliminary Finals.

So as you can see the money isn't huge. Monique will certainly not be making enough money to start her own basketball team.

An environment like Richmond will certainly make the girls better players with the program being second to none. The SMART girls will also tap into the left field opportunities that a massive club like Richmond can offer them which can set them on their way outside of football.

Maybe one day it will be different and the girls can make good money so they can just play footy full time but that won't be while we have a 7 game home and away season.

Reality is that players will NOT be wealthy on the back of playing AFLW. She could make more money as a WNBA player in the US if her basketball is good enough and if she is good enough to play for Australia then the interest from the US will perk up. There is also good money in other places like China.

AFLW payments this year:

— Tier one players: Two players from each team will earn $24,600 (up from 20,000 in 2018)
— Tier two players: Six players from each team will earn $19,000 (up from $14,500 in 2018)
— Tier three players: Six players from each team will earn $16,200 (up from $10,500 in 2018)
— Tier four players: 16 players from each team will earn $13,400 (up from $8,500 in 2018)

I'm tipping Katie Brennan and Sabrina Frederick occupy tier one so unless the AFL changes the number of players that can be tier 1 then Monique will be tier 2.

There are other little bonus's like ambassadorial role payments but again Richmond's allocation will probably mostly go to the highest profile players like Katie and Sabrina. The actual money pool for ambassadorial roles was $100,000 across the whole AFLW this year so even including Monique in this, its not big money.

There are also finals bonus's.

- All teams in finals sharing a jackpot of $127,500
- Each player in the winning Grand Final team will take home $2000, while the runners up will all receive $1,250 in prize money
- A lump sum of $500 will be handed to each participant in the teams that make the Preliminary Finals.

So as you can see the money isn't huge. Monique will certainly not be making enough money to start her own basketball team.

An environment like Richmond will certainly make the girls better players with the program being second to none. The SMART girls will also tap into the left field opportunities that a massive club like Richmond can offer them which can set them on their way outside of football.

Maybe one day it will be different and the girls can make good money so they can just play footy full time but that won't be while we have a 7 game home and away season.

Yes agree with the above to a point
The AFLW have changed the Tier structure, More tier 1 = less tier 2,
but it still have to amount to the total number of players (30 players listed)
Example
3 Tier 1 (Brennan, Frederick, Conti),
5 Tier 2 (Bernardi, Monahan, Ross, Brancatisano, Burchell),
6 Tier 3, (Wakefield, Stahl, + 3 others)
16 Tier 4
1. It's been reported in the news "The influx of quality means Richmond could have three tier one players, which would see the club forced to fit less tier two players into the salary cap." = Monique Conti will be a Tier one player ($24,600)
2. "Foxfooty.com.au reveals Conti’s two-year deal also involves Puma" = at a guess $40K - $100K (who knows)
From reports Richmond has spared no expense into it's AFLW program = more lucrative bonuses/endorsements to Kate, Sabrina, Monique
Theoretically Kate (26y), Sabrina (22y), Monique (20y) being our top 3 marquee players could earn $60k+ a year for 7 games(without finals)
Wouldn't even touch the side of the total pool of money that Richmond AFLW has in the program = AFL or AFLW premiership is the same to us
From Peggy, Gale, Balme, all seem to indicate the point that all our teams are treated as one entity (AFL, AFLW, VFL, VFLW, wheelchair footy)
We want premierships, simple as that and we don't necessarily up to a point care which team it is (AFL premiership top want of course)
All that I have written is from news reports, Richmond website, and reading between the lines, you can put up the notion that's why
Katie Brennan, Sabrina Frederick, Monique Conti wanted to come to our club ( sustained Success, lots of money, top facilities, fully professional environment)
Unlike the Bulldogs and Bribane AFLW enviroments which especially Brennan and Conti sort of said in their reason for departures

Is she good enough to play for Australia in basketball ?

Yes agree with the above to a point
The AFLW have changed the Tier structure, More tier 1 = less tier 2,
but it still have to amount to the total number of players (30 players listed)
Example
3 Tier 1 (Brennan, Frederick, Conti),
5 Tier 2 (Bernardi, Monahan, Ross, Brancatisano, Burchell),
6 Tier 3, (Wakefield, Stahl, + 3 others)
16 Tier 4
1. It's been reported in the news "The influx of quality means Richmond could have three tier one players, which would see the club forced to fit less tier two players into the salary cap." = Monique Conti will be a Tier one player ($24,600)
2. "Foxfooty.com.au reveals Conti’s two-year deal also involves Puma" = at a guess $40K - $100K (who knows)
From reports Richmond has spared no expense into it's AFLW program = more lucrative bonuses/endorsements to Kate, Sabrina, Monique
Theoretically Kate (26y), Sabrina (22y), Monique (20y) being our top 3 marquee players could earn $60k+ a year for 7 games(without finals)
Wouldn't even touch the side of the total pool of money that Richmond AFLW has in the program = AFL or AFLW premiership is the same to us
From Peggy, Gale, Balme, all seem to indicate the point that all our teams are treated as one entity (AFL, AFLW, VFL, VFLW, wheelchair footy)
We want premierships, simple as that and we don't necessarily up to a point care which team it is (AFL premiership top want of course)
All that I have written is from news reports, Richmond website, and reading between the lines, you can put up the notion that's why
Katie Brennan, Sabrina Frederick, Monique Conti wanted to come to our club ( sustained Success, lots of money, top facilities, fully professional environment)
Unlike the Bulldogs and Bribane AFLW enviroments which especially Brennan and Conti sort of said in their reason for departures

I was imagining with puma endorsements that conti and kb should be making 60-70+ , pretty sure that the club marketing component is not capped in AFLW either so tier one plus sponsors plus marketing and they’d be earning a fairly good coin , albeit that would be top few. We ve invested heavily , get off on front foot , attract lots of attention and sponsors will get on and our program will be self funding . In time it will be seen as an excellent summer edition of footy. Will only get better ea year and I’m sure the support for our side will snowball

I was imagining with puma endorsements that conti and kb should be making 60-70+ , pretty sure that the club marketing component is not capped in AFLW either so tier one plus sponsors plus marketing and they’d be earning a fairly good coin , albeit that would be top few. We ve invested heavily , get off on front foot , attract lots of attention and sponsors will get on and our program will be self funding . In time it will be seen as an excellent summer edition of footy. Will only get better ea year and I’m sure the support for our side will snowball

I think that our top girls will make ok money out of playing AFLW but I was responding to Stan's comment about Monique retiring as a very wealthy young woman. I just don't think that will happen from getting paid to play. She might do so if she makes the most out of her off field opportunities.

Now $60-$70k is close to the average wage (Bureau of Statistics say $85,982 but that's inflated). It's good money but its not in the wealthy bracket.

I think that our top girls will make ok money out of playing AFLW but I was responding to Stan's comment about Monique retiring as a very wealthy young woman. I just don't think that will happen from getting paid to play. She might do so if she makes the most out of her off field opportunities.

Now $60-$70k is close to the average wage (Bureau of Statistics say $85,982 but that's inflated). It's good money but its not in the wealthy bracket.

Agree with you TigermanM2, the 3 marquees would have to earn $100k+ to be comfortably well off
Was wondering if you had an idea what the AFLW listed ladies (Brennan, Fredricks, Conti) say would be earning playing VFLW games??
Would you think say the 3 marquees would be well paid in those VFLW games, outside of their AFLW payments??
Don't really have an idea how the AFLW and VFLW payments would work for the 3 mentioned
I know that Katie has a business (Restaurant?), I think she's played 7 years with the Dogs, 3 AFLW when it started
It is interesting to guesstimate what the tigers are paying Brennan, Fredricks, Conti
Brennan and Conti Puma endorsements, maybe Fredricks as well
I'll go out on a limb and guesstimate Brennan, Fredricks, Conti are being paid $175k each a year everything included
roughly in line with our bottom Tier AFL players

Interested in your thoughts TigermanM2, Bojangles17 ???

Last edited:
Agree with you TigermanM2, the 3 marquees would have to earn $100k+ to be comfortably well off
Was wondering if you had an idea what the AFLW listed ladies (Brennan, Fredricks, Conti) say would be earning playing VFLW games??
Would you think say the 3 marquees would be well paid in those VFLW games, outside of their AFLW payments??
Don't really have an idea how the AFLW and VFLW payments would work for the 3 mentioned
I know that Katie has a business (Restaurant?), I think she's played 7 years with the Dogs, 3 AFLW when it started
It is interesting to guesstimate what the tigers are paying Brennan, Fredricks, Conti
I'll go out on a limb and guesstimate Brennan, Fredricks, Conti are being paid $175k each a year everything included

Katie Brennan has a pretty successful business as a personal trainer. I think her business is called The KB Performance Centre.

I doubt they would be anywhere near $175k Remember it’s only a 7 week competition. Some AFL men who train and play just about all year round aren’t on that sort of coin.

I’m not sure how much players get paid for playing VFLW. There was a suggestion last year that clubs were getting away with paying more than AFLW for the really top players because there is no salary cap in VFLW. It is a huge headache for standalone clubs like Darebin who don’t have the cash. When you see a player like Phoebe McWilliams who is high profile Geelong recruit line up with the Hawks VFLW side you have to wonder why? Good on her.

I don’t imagine it would be that much if the tier 1 is 25k . Anything near 100 give or take would be good going . Remember that scale of sponsorship is largely on how recognisable players are , kb May leverage a bit others wouldn’t be in her league. I’d think our marketing component would tip in to get the package at around this level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back