eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
So the last Grand Tour, and despite the lack of "prestige" compared to the other two, the hardest in my opinion (not only due to being the last of the three, but due to the sheer weight of climbing compared to the other two) starts in 9 days. The favourite with the bookies hasn't come out yet oddly enough and Ineos big 3 in Froome, Thomas and Bernal have all ruled themselves out of the Spanish GT. Trek-Segafredo could go with Richie Porte if his legs have recovered from le Tour but I'd expect Primoz Roglic or hopefully Esteban Chaves to go on and win it being recovered since riding the Giro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vader

Sith Lord
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I like Roglic' chances a lot more than Chaves. I think Chaves' best days are already behind him.

Either way, it's likely to be the weakest field in a while. No Froome/Thomas/Bernal, no Nibali, no Dumoulin, no Yates.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
I like Roglic' chances a lot more than Chaves. I think Chaves' best days are already behind him.

Either way, it's likely to be the weakest field in a while. No Froome/Thomas/Bernal, no Nibali, no Dumoulin, no Yates.
Simon wouldn't have ridden all three, no way known. Same with Vinnie. Dumoulin not finishing any GT this year is very disappointing. Half hoping Adam is there to support Chaves (heavily expect Nieve to be there as well, and hopefully Haig).

The one positive for Esteban is that his 3rd week in the Giro showed some signs to him getting back to form.

yaco55

Hall of Famer
Jul 25, 2007
hong kong
AFL Club
Essendon
Realistically, Chaves was a million miles away at the Giro, but importantly his head is right and he has improved condition - The down side is MS have an average team by their standards for the TTT, while Chaves always struggles in a flattish 36km ITT - I've always though the Vuelta is the grand tour that is least suited to his characteristics - Anyway super keen on Miguel Angel Lopez.

Top Bottom