2019 Vuelta Espana

Remove this Banner Ad

So the last Grand Tour, and despite the lack of "prestige" compared to the other two, the hardest in my opinion (not only due to being the last of the three, but due to the sheer weight of climbing compared to the other two) starts in 9 days. The favourite with the bookies hasn't come out yet oddly enough and Ineos big 3 in Froome, Thomas and Bernal have all ruled themselves out of the Spanish GT. Trek-Segafredo could go with Richie Porte if his legs have recovered from le Tour but I'd expect Primoz Roglic or hopefully Esteban Chaves to go on and win it being recovered since riding the Giro.

I like Roglic' chances a lot more than Chaves. I think Chaves' best days are already behind him.

Either way, it's likely to be the weakest field in a while. No Froome/Thomas/Bernal, no Nibali, no Dumoulin, no Yates.
Simon wouldn't have ridden all three, no way known. Same with Vinnie. Dumoulin not finishing any GT this year is very disappointing. Half hoping Adam is there to support Chaves (heavily expect Nieve to be there as well, and hopefully Haig).

The one positive for Esteban is that his 3rd week in the Giro showed some signs to him getting back to form.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
route-map.jpg

Realistically, Chaves was a million miles away at the Giro, but importantly his head is right and he has improved condition - The down side is MS have an average team by their standards for the TTT, while Chaves always struggles in a flattish 36km ITT - I've always though the Vuelta is the grand tour that is least suited to his characteristics - Anyway super keen on Miguel Angel Lopez.

So MTS have put out a weak team in my opinion with Nieve and Bewley the main support acts, and Howson as a solid domestique. Not sure how good Grmay will be and I think Smith and Schultz will mostly be there for Mezgec for flat stages. Missed an opportunity to go with a 4 strong back up to Chaves with Yates, Nieve, Bewley and Haig, with Grmay as back up whilst Smith supports Mezgec.

I am happy with the team - S.yates has done 2 GT's, Happy that Haig is not doing two GT's this year while A.Yates always rides poorly from August onwards - Smith,Schultz and Grmay were brought to be support riders at GT's - Mezgec was in good form in Poland, while more importantly he was climbing well before that in Slovenie - My only query with the team is MS could have brought one of Impey or Trentin - Realistically Mezgec, Nieve or Chaves can win a stage with some chance to Smith.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I'm sure this will make lots of people happy...

At least the TdF organisers had the balls to just cancel Armstrong's yellow jerseys, rather than handing them to someone else who was almost certainly high as a kite at the time...

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Pretty excited for this. Finally got hooked to the TDF in the second half and then watched all of the BinckBank tour as well as the Arctic Race of Norway. Feel like I’m good to go for this, hopefully we get a close, competitive tour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Any word on Roglic after the crash?
How crazy was that?! A broken garden hose bringing the favourites undone. Good start to the tour, keen for tonight’s stage, thankfully a more friendly time.

I’m on Miguel Angel Lopez for the win.

Last edited:

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Stage 2...fantastic. Enthralling stuff. That final climb just changed everything, López didn’t handle it overly well and was let down by a lack of support from his team. A little blimp perhaps but certainly not quite as confident in his chances. Roglic looked rock solid. Quintana superb.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I gave up just after midnight. No TV and the stream appears to demand more than 10Mbit NBN. Mind you, even bloody email demands more than "10Mbit" NBN. Pathetic. I'll get around to watching the highlights during the day. :(

I gave up just after midnight. No TV and the stream appears to demand more than 10Mbit NBN. Mind you, even bloody email demands more than "10Mbit" NBN. Pathetic. I'll get around to watching the highlights during the day. :(
Always hardest to watch this one.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Stage 3 another gem, loving these climbs which really help the unpredictability. Loving the coverage too. I’m recording both Eurosport and Viceland. Getting a great preview on ES and the start of the race coverage before switching to the clearer footage/Aus commentary team. Then watching ES while the other are on commercial breaks. Winning. Can’t believe I’ve never followed the cycling this closely before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back