Win Prizes 2019 WB BigFooty Player Sponsors Dinner - June 18th Crown

Remove this Banner Ad

1558594675797.png

Hi all,

Once again we're cordially invited to the 2019 Western Bulldogs player sponsor night. Due to the drop in sponsors this year, we've scaled back to two players only - Bailey Dale and Ed Richards, giving us a total of 4 tickets for the night.

Date: Tues 18th June
Where: Crown Palladium
Time: 6:30pm
Dress - smart/business casual

Only 2019 player sponsors are eligible to go into the draw for tickets, please nominate your intent here.

Ok, doing the draw tonight. Last chance for your entry as the dinner is next Tuesday (18th June).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good night.
I had a chat with Bont and Dunks as I was going in to the ballroom.

Complimented Dunks on his game and overall improvement, particularly his kicking. He told me he'd been really working on his kicking.

Told Bont that he schooled Cripps, he's such a modest guy, said that Cripps really picked up his game in the 2nd half.

These nights are a lot less formal, good chance to meet the players in a social setting.

I sat next next to Bailey Dale, told him he needs to get more of the pill :) He commented on how much faster AFL is and of course he will stick at it.
I asked him about his navicular injury and he said it was quite painful and he's still a bit mindful of the injury, which may explain why's he's a bit tentative.

Trengove did a roving mike session and interviewed a few players. Went down very well, he's a good talker and kept the flow going.

Schache looked good and I am optimistic we'll see him come good. The lads are a very tight bunch.

Dunks told us of his new 3 year contract and there were big cheers for Naughton when his 5 year deal was mentioned.

Saw Rhylee West but didn't get to speak with him. He's still quite small in stature, I wouldn't be putting him in against mature bodies just yet.

Libba wasn't there, maybe just prepping for his recovery but all the other guys were there.

The food was great too.

How was the evening? Can someone report, please?

I thought the evening was great. All the players were there apart from Libba, Jongy, and one other.

The highlight of the night for me was Trengove interviewing some of the players, he is a very funny guy, and just a natural. Others might remember what he said, I just remember the banter with Dunks is about Nike fringe benefits courtesy of Bont’s sponsorship. He also interviewed Latham Vandemeir who is another really funny guy.

I sat with Bailey Dale, who was really chatty, and friendly young guy. He was saying all of the players have 21 events each that they have to do as part of their contract. He is out of contract at the end of the year, and hopes he will be re-signed.

I asked him about the vibe at the club, with regards to Jongy and Todd being diagnosed with depression. He said the vibe was good they consider themselves a very close knit group, seeing each other outside footy as friends not just work colleagues. He said there was personal issues with Jongy as well.

The weekly family dinner that used to happen is now monthly, as it got a bit much weekly.

Bailey and his family were originally Collingwood supporters but are now all Bulldogs.

During the bye 7 of them took of to Tassie for a golf weekend away, they are not allowed to do cricket or any other sports because of the risk of injury, so a lot of the players have taken up golf.

Bailey Dale, Lucas Webb and Mitch Wallis’s brother are doing some courses to get into construction industry at the end of their career.

I will probably think of others later, but will add them as I go.

I sat with Patrick Lipinski, great young guy very well spoken. I asked him if it bothered him that he was having to break the door down to get into the AFL team with his VFL form. He said it did at first, but then thought that he'd keep doing his best efforts as if it got to him then it'd probably effect his form. Said in hindsight he'd not be playing as well in the AFL if it wasn't for that long grind in the VFL, so was worth the wait.

Morris was on the table across from me, I asked him how far away from playing. He replied he wants to play next week, when I asked where, i.e VFL or Seniors he said he'd play anywhere just wants to get out there.

I sat with Ed Richards who was lovely but a little quieter and more reserved than some others (Bailey Dale comes to mind). Ed still lives at home and he’s very happy there. He spoke about being sent back to the reserves and that he was told to go and find some form and kick some goals and he kicked points on the weekend so that prob didn’t help. Seems to have taken the demotion with a good attitude and said Bevo was clear on what he needs to do but it was done in the right way. Also said the difference in pace and skill level between vfl and afl is huge and that Footscray should have won by 20 goals last weekend. Oh and Cal Porter cuts his hair.
Hopefully my table mate will be able to give some more insight as he had a fair chat to him and some others. But a great night as always and found the “roaming Jacko” much better than the on stage interviews

Thanks for the info. I always like to read the more personal accounts of players/fans interaction. I guess that's what made me a big Crossy fan. He was just so nice when I visited Melbourne and talked to him at training. Bailey Smith and Ed Richards are the two youngins I'd like to meet.

Libba had surgery on Monday afternoon which is why he want there on Tuesday night, would have still been a bit sore and on doctors orders to stay off the knee. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back