Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Winners
Freo smashing it out of the park

GCS, not hard with the picks they had.

GWS more high end talent and got a bargain with Green

Losers

Not rapt with Melbourne’s draft so far, Jackson could be great but pick 3 is a big gamble and another big gamble with Pickett @pick 10.

Port’s draft not really impressing me much either.

Biggest losers

People that point out you can’t know who’s won the draft for years and have a bit fun on draft night.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Winners
Freo smashing it out of the park

GCS, not hard with the picks they had.

GWS more high end talent and got a bargain with Green

Losers

Not rapt with Melbourne’s draft so far, Jackson could be great but pick 3 is a big gamble and another big gamble with Pickett @pick 10.

Port’s draft not really impressing me much either.

Biggest losers

People that point out you can’t know who’s won the draft for years and have a bit fun on draft night.
Carlton reaching for Philp is a head scratcher. Hawks reaching for Day arguably worse. Port reaching for Georgiades.

Everyone for letting Robertson slide, especially Geelong, Carlton and Richmond.

How the * do Dow and Philp get taken before Robertson

Not a big loss per se but Adelaide with the reasoning that they could've traded down and probably still have taken McAsey whilst gaining another pick in the process.

Carlton reaching for Philp is a head scratcher. Hawks reaching for Day arguably worse. Port reaching for Georgiades.

How the fu** do Dow and Philp get taken before Robertson
You could say the same about the dogs reaching for Weigthman.

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Yeah I would have loved Robertson or even Dylan Williams with that pick, but considering we would have taken Kemp at pick 9 anyway, kind of a free hit with that pick I guess.

Some pretty big reachers on face value and how Young, Green and to a lesser extent Kemp went so late was very hard to understand.

I wanted Stephens 2 or 3 years ago and we got him. His injury was a blessing. I had him top 5 at the start of the year.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams

Not so sure about the Hawks reaching.

A lot of recruiting gurus at AFL clubs viewed him as having one of the biggest upsides in the draft pool.

A fact confirmed by KM.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Carlton could’ve turned pick 9 into Kemp and Robertson which would’ve been nearly the craziest (at the time of the draft) haul ever from that sort of a pick.

Instead they drafted 1 gun who slid probably 10 picks too far in Kemp but massively reached on the next pick for what looks to be a meh player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have missed it, which club wanted to trade?
There was talk at the top of coverage that Carlton wanted to trade up to 6.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton could’ve turned pick 9 into Kemp and Robertson which would’ve been nearly the craziest (at the time of the draft) haul ever from that sort of a pick.

Instead they drafted 1 gun who slid probably 10 picks too far in Kemp but massively reached on the next pick for what looks to be a meh player.

Philp was projected in the 20's, he went 20. So hardly a reach.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think it was Stephens, Serong or Young for us. We would’ve held 9 (11?) if one of those were on the board.

Sydney really threw a spanner in it passing on Flanders. Good choice IMO.

I think the Sydney pick absolutely changed the future picks and any swap between Adelaide and Carlton. I think you guys wanted Stephens and if Sydney didn’t take him then a trade would have happened

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea

I believe Knightmare had him at 24 and Champion data at 28 so not that 'massive' a reach (regardless of the fact I'd never heard of him).

Except Weightman was actually rated consistently at that level, if not higher. Most had Day outside the top 20
except for Port and GC who would have taken him with their next available picks (if GC didn't do the Carlton trade).

Back