Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure on geelong draft. Cooper Stephens is just not clean picking the ball up at ground level and juggles every mark he takes. Robertson is a much better prospect with that being a clear strength

Dekoning as a tall.. has talent but I can't see the intercept style game he plays transferring to afl. I didnt have him in my top 30 and will need to develop a hell of a lot to be afl quality.

Took some no name bolter at 41 and taheny at 50. Taheny is the only value pick and still comes with huge risk.

Geelong could have traded down pick 14 for the crows early 20s picks and taken Gould and rivers and still grabbed Robertson with our 2nd pick.

as for Sydney, i really like Gould and Taylor, i think both will be AFL players, D.Stephens i like but i have small nagging doubts from what i saw from him at the champs, but if he plays like he showed in bursts in the SANFL this year, he could be exciting, i just have small doubts that wont go away, as for Warner and Rowles they were below average pick ups imo, bringing their score down to a B+, thats my reasoning.

when i say they went early, i mean they went like 10 or so picks earlier than their rating which isnt the worst thing in the world but affects the rating slightly for me.
As for Warner, when Beatson & Dalrymple give themselves a low five at the draft table for getting him I’m more inclined to go with he’s a Beatson late round special. And there’s been some good ones. Time will tell of course, but I wouldn’t count him out.

Carlton fans are so weird bunch ... said GCS never offer 15 and 20 ... fabricate Richmond wanting Sam philp just LOL material.

I bet the whole world seems pretty weird when you‘re apparently this clueless.

GCS never offered 15 & 20 and Martin for pick 9. That’s never even been reported. Initial reports had GCS wanting pick 9 for pick 15 and Martin, this was later corrected to pick 9 and future second for pick 15 and Martin.

Media has reported a few clubs being into Philp at around where he went. Twomey and Riley were two “experts” who reported Richmond specifically. All cited sources most BF posters simply don’t have access to.

The only thing being fabricated are your claims ... and you think we’re weird? Lol

Not sure on geelong draft. Cooper Stephens is just not clean picking the ball up at ground level and juggles every mark he takes. Robertson is a much better prospect with that being a clear strength

Dekoning as a tall.. has talent but I can't see the intercept style game he plays transferring to afl. I didnt have him in my top 30 and will need to develop a hell of a lot to be afl quality.

Took some no name bolter at 41 and taheny at 50. Taheny is the only value pick and still comes with huge risk.

Geelong could have traded down pick 14 for the crows early 20s picks and taken Gould and rivers and still grabbed Robertson with our 2nd pick.

Yeah I think Geelong could have done better, but by the same token, most of your picks seem to be for the long term, 2 years or so down the track.

Getting pick 11 in 2020 sets you up nicely to trade for an OOC star or move up the draft next year as well, have to wonder if The Cats don't already have a target in mind.

I bet the whole world seems pretty weird when you‘re apparently this clueless.

GCS never offered 15 & 20 and Martin for pick 9. That’s never even been reported. Initial reports had GCS wanting pick 9 for pick 15 and Martin, this was later corrected to pick 9 and future second for pick 15 and Martin.

Media has reported a few clubs being into Philp at around where he went. Twomey and Riley were two “experts” who reported Richmond specifically. All cited sources most BF posters simply don’t have access to.

The only thing being fabricated are your claims ... and you think we’re weird? Lol
Are you saying Callum Twomey purposely lied against Carlton in his recent article.

Their last call was to Gold Coast, who had been offering picks 15 and 20 for pick No.9 since October's trade period.

* there is no future pick there.

Last edited:
from my PoV
Carlton - Kemp, Philp, Ramsay (rookie)Honey Phillips - Kemp and Ramsay good, but the rest is meh and 20 on Philp is bad imo C-

worst - WCE, Carl, Rich

Do you think Carlton attained what they were looking for by way of needs, or are you simply rating things based on your own player ratings?
They are two very different things and I'm glad my club went for the types they did.

Maybe had have they taken Robertson instead of Philp your rating would have been higher but that wouldn't necessarily made our list better.
This is where 'observers' often don't look deep enough before apportioning their values.

Are you saying Callum Twomey purposely lied against Carlton in his recent article.

Their last call was to Gold Coast, who had been offering picks 15 and 20 for pick No.9 since October's trade period.

No, he’s saying your comprehension sucks.

Nowhere in that article does it say, what you seem to think it does.

No, he’s saying your comprehension sucks.

Nowhere in that article does it say, what you seem to think it does.
.They wanted to see if Port was interested in No.9 in a deal that included 16 and 18, but that also went nowhere. Their last call was to Gold Coast, who had been offering picks 15 and 20 for pick No.9 since October's trade period.

Who comprehension suck. I can keep posting it.

Last edited:

Brisbane were very happy with Geelong’s picks. Richmond’s and Carlton’s as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15, 20 for 9 is very different to 15, 20 and Martin for 9, which is what you claimed.
You really need to improve your comprehension skill, why the writer wrote way back in October trade if it did not involve Martin. You still can trade draft pick after players trade period end in October.

* the writer mention pick 15,20 and way back in October trade period that mean players trade. Carlton main target in October trade papley and Martin.

Last edited:
You really need to improve your comprehension skill, why the writer wrote way back in October trade if it did not involve Martin. You still can trade draft pick after players trade period end in October.

* the writer mention pick 15,20 and way back in October trade period that mean players trade. Carlton main target in October trade papley and Martin.

You are going around in circles now, and you have completely bamboozled yourself.

A few times now you have been asked to show any proof that there was an offer of 9 for 15, 20 and Martin.

And each time you’ve come back not with proof, but simply with irrelevant garbage.

I think it’s time you took a break from this thread, you are just embarrassing yourself.

* there is no Martin there

That’s because Twomey wrote that GCS have been offering it since the trade period, not that they offered it during the trade period. Clubs can still trade picks after the player trade period closes and clubs would’ve been feeling each other out for weeks leading up to trade night. This article wasn’t about the Martin trade. You’ve misunderstood.

From what Twomey wrote, it appears GCS wanted to leverage those threats to redraft Martin and do the deal earlier. Carlton on the other hand preferred to go to the draft and see who fell to their pick. In the end, their targets were all gone, so they did the trade, with a nod and a wink on Martin I’m sure.

The rejected trade was pick 9 and a future second rounder, for Martin and pick.

Seems to me Martin and 15 for 9 would have been a fair trade. Suns really screwed up here,losing him for nothing.

If almost worked out that way in the end, if you think about the draft night pick swap we did with the Suns, which resulted in the Suns getting Flanders. Carlton got our player we wanted after our other players we wanted we taken by other clubs (Kemp) plus an extra first rnd pick

If Sharp ends up being as good as Gold Coast hope in their other draft night trade with Geelong, the Suns may well have done very well for themselves.

They might have lost some face, but end of the day, getting 4 top 25-30 projected best talents from this draft is a very good result for them.

Seems to me Martin and 15 for 9 would have been a fair trade. Suns really screwed up here,losing him for nothing.
Except Carlton never offered that.

Gold Coast offered Martin and 15 to Carlton for pick 9 and a 2020 second round pick.

Carlton rejected the trade.

I understand Gold Coast rejecting Carlton’s offers, as they were all unders.

But some of the rhetoric that come out of GC annoyed me.

I understand a future 2nd and 3rd round pick might not help GC next year if they have excess picks. But they can always package picks to move up, or trade picks in to the future, until GC are ready to use them.

If almost worked out that way in the end, if you think about the draft night pick swap we did with the Suns, which resulted in the Suns getting Flanders. Carlton got our player we wanted after our other players we wanted we taken by other clubs (Kemp) plus an extra first rnd pick

If Sharp ends up being as good as Gold Coast hope in their other draft night trade with Geelong, the Suns may well have done very well for themselves.

They might have lost some face, but end of the day, getting 4 top 25-30 projected best talents from this draft is a very good result for them.
Umm, Carlton lost face to a far greater degree in failing to get the trade done.

Carlton ended up acting in bad faith.

Any club would be happy with Rowell, Anderson, Flanders and Sharp but it cost them 1,2,11,17,22 and Martin.

That’s a joke.

Any club would be happy with Rowell, Anderson, Flanders and Sharp but it cost them 1,2,11,17,22 and Martin.

That’s a joke.
What Dez said below!
How did it cost them Martin?

Martin had nothing to do with the draft.

It was failed trade and then Carlton back doored Martin via the psd.

That’s a joke.

I'd be very happy with those 4 for that price.....Remembering they were gifted a slew of picks prior to the draft to begin with.

I'd agree that Martin was essentially a quid pro quo part of the deal, that saw them land Flanders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back