Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Umm, Carlton lost face to a far greater degree in failing to get the trade done.

Carlton ended up acting in bad faith.

Lol acted in bad faith by not handing over a top 10 pick for a modestly performed player.

Most industry chatter I’ve heard had Carlton’s offer around the mark. And certainly for every poster who says Carlton low-balled, you’ll find two who say Martin is an average player; sometimes it’s the same poster saying both.

What transpired since has Carlton looking pretty savvy, while GCS continue to produce wtf moments. That’s why no one’s asking the question did Carlton mess up by not trading for Martin.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
How did it cost them Martin?

Assume there was a wink nudge involved in the trade for Flanders.

Cost was probably the wrong word.

I’ve got no doubt they could’ve gathered enough currency out of Martin to get Sharp, saving next years 11.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

I’ve got no doubt they could’ve gathered enough currency out of Martin to get Sharp, saving next years 11.
You can said what ever you like, why don't you send this year second Rd pick 24-27 for Martin, Instead of next year second Rd for Sharp. GEELONG AND Port don't even want your future second Rd only GC come back for Carlton pick 9 . If you can offload your future 2nd rd to any team for this year pick 22-27 do you think GC don't take it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Lol acted in bad faith by not handing over a top 10 pick for a modestly performed player.

Most industry chatter I’ve heard had Carlton’s offer around the mark. And certainly for every poster who says Carlton low-balled, you’ll find two who say Martin is an average player; sometimes it’s the same poster saying both.

What transpired since has Carlton looking pretty savvy, while GCS continue to produce wtf moments. That’s why no one’s asking the question did Carlton mess up by not trading for Martin.
Carlton could have split pick 9 exactly the same way St Kilda split their pick 6.

A future second and future third in a heavily compromised draft was a long way short of fair value.

What transpired left Carlton and SOS looking disingenuous.

And there was plenty of negative and questioning commentary, especially from the Age footy writers, about Carlton and SOS failing to get the deal done.

The vast majority of non Carlton fans were squarely on Gold Coasts “side” in the post trade period discussions.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

Perhaps they felt obliged to 'give something back' so to speak.....Given the gifts of Pick 2 & 22 in this years draft & Pick 11 in the 2020 Draft.

Anderson & Flanders are a rather healthy addition to what they might otherwise have had, without the concessions.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
You can said what ever you like, why don't you send this year second Rd pick 24-27 for Martin, Instead of next year second Rd for Sharp. GEELONG AND Port don't even want your future second Rd only GC come back for Carlton pick 9 . If you can offload your future 2nd rd to any team for this year pick 22-27 do you think GC don't take it.

We didn’t have a second this year.

A future 2nd and 3rd would’ve gone a long way to securing Sharp or a pick to secure him, saving 11.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can definitely see a big improvement coming for gold coast in the last 2 yrs have got 4 of the best half dozen kids that's next level leg up. I can see them beating my mob in Rd 1 up there izak Rankine could be the best of the lot and yet to get started.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton could have split pick 9 exactly the same way St Kilda split their pick 6.

A future second and future third in a heavily compromised draft was a long way short of fair value.

What transpired left Carlton and SOS looking disingenuous.

And there was plenty of negative and questioning commentary, especially from the Age footy writers, about Carlton and SOS failing to get the deal done.

The vast majority of non Carlton fans were squarely on Gold Coasts “side” in the post trade period discussions.

After the trades GC have completed through the trade/draft period, a future 2nd and 3rd for Martin was more than ample

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Because they didn't accept the deal or considering other deals they signed off on?

This from a club that delisted the likes of a Lyons

Anyway, Martin in the end was a free hit, just like Lyon, GC have no idea about value of a player
NO idea , first 2 season for 2 million after that can lay egg the rest of 3 season with Betts retire. Can always give the excuses that no mentor.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
GCS probably rated Sharp pick 20, but want Flanders badly. I don't get why GC can overpaid Eagles and Brisbane and not Geelong . Geelong actually overpaid a 33 years old to get ablett back, so far Eagles and Brisbane gave nothing back to GCS compare to Geelong in term draft pick.

What are you trying to say here me confused

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah and averaging the same per year, as he was at GC
But but but, Betts was at Adelaide during that time when he was at GCS. With Betts he is worth 1 million a season without Betts he is worth 300-350k.300k for mentor fees

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Stop feigning innocence you know contracts work, same as you signing kids with a handful of games on 500K a year
Is a fact GCS signing Martin and Ah Chee for 500k that is the reason GCS ask for Concession for academy and Darwin zoneplayers, so they don't need to ask to go back to Melbourne. If settlefied and Kennedy is not on 500k do you think GWS let them go to Carlton cheaply for second Rd pick.

What goes around come around.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Is a fact GCS signing Martin and Ah Chee for 500k that is the reason GCS ask for Concession for academy and Darwin zoneplayers, so they don't need to ask to go back to Melbourne. If settlefied and Kennedy is not on 500k do you think GWS let them go to Carlton cheaply for second Rd pick.

What goes around come around.

Ummm Martin is from WA, so is JOM, players moving, don't always go to their home state

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

Who did StKilda split their pick 6 for? A BnF winning, triple premiership player. The whole industry knew pick 9 was set aside for Papley. No disingenuous offers from Carlton, no last minute backflips.

The only ones thinking Carlton acted in bad faith are those who don’t matter. Writers down at the Age who have SOS issues and BF posters miffed that Carlton stood their ground. Same happened with the Gibbs trade; a couple of years down the track and it’s now apparent to all that SOS played that like a fiddle.

I remember people up in arms a few years ago about GWS academy zoning in relation to potential no.1 pick, Harrison Macreadie. A lot can happen in 12 months. All I know, is that Carlton’s second rounder has consistently been in the 18-25 range for several years. I agree the uncertainty of being future picks makes the deal less valuable, but it’s hardly a “long way short” of Martin’s value. Idk, perhaps we’ve been watching a different player.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ummm Martin is from WA, so is JOM, players moving, don't always go to their home state
But Victorian do, SA and WA are more flexibility due to two state team. GWS Wilson and cam macarthy went back to WA and plus those went to carlton. GCS Bernell, Matera. Plus those went to Richmond and Hawthorn and Carlton, if you don't paid over how can you make them stay for 6 years. Carlton use 6 years to delist a lot of former GWS players too.
Rhys palmer, , GWS Garlett plus more,GCS pickett.

Include settlefiels and Kennedy - 11 players- that's half of best 22 players, how many made it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
But Victorian do, SA and WA are more flexibility due to two state team. GWS Wilson and cam macarthy went back to WA and plus those went to carlton. GCS Bernell, Matera. Plus those went to Richmond and Hawthorn and Carlton, if you don't paid over how can you make them stay for 6 years. Carlton use 6 years to delist a lot of former GWS players too.
Rhys palmer, , GWS Garlett plus more,GCS pickett.

Include settlefiels and Kennedy - 11 players- that's half of best 22 players, how many made it.

Palmer was a salary dump for other targets

Garlett was re drafted after walking away from the game, his cost wage and pick was minimal

Don't try and rewrite the facts

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Palmer was a salary dump for other targets

Garlett was re drafted after walking away from the game, his cost wage and pick was minimal

Don't try and rewrite the facts
I did not rewrite fact I just post the link to it. If you think the link is rewrite fact is not my problem. Compare to Richmond you got more than half first round pick than them, and they already won two flag, compare to GCS you got plenty times to build a successful teams with less travel and more success and failure experience. Future pick 11 is nothing compare to what Carlton dish out so far.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I did not rewrite fact I just post the link to it. If you think the link is rewrite fact is not my problem. Compare to Richmond you got more than half first round pick than them, and they already won two flag, compare to GCS you got plenty times to build a successful teams with less travel and more success and failure experience. Future pick 11 is nothing compare to what Carlton dish out so far.

You really have no idea, hang in there, it will become clear soon enough

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure on geelong draft. Cooper Stephens is just not clean picking the ball up at ground level and juggles every mark he takes. Robertson is a much better prospect with that being a clear strength

Dekoning as a tall.. has talent but I can't see the intercept style game he plays transferring to afl. I didnt have him in my top 30 and will need to develop a hell of a lot to be afl quality.

Took some no name bolter at 41 and taheny at 50. Taheny is the only value pick and still comes with huge risk.

Geelong could have traded down pick 14 for the crows early 20s picks and taken Gould and rivers and still grabbed Robertson with our 2nd pick.

Just too early to tell. I assume you are basing your opinion on Stephens on a very short video package? I watched a couple of his early games this year and wasn’t overly impressed but clearly you need to view a larger sample.

All of Robertson (disposal?), Gould and Rivers (both poor endurance) have questions marks too. I liked what I saw of Robertson too but will his game be up to AFL?

Back