Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Stephens looks a mile off. As someone with such a big body very disappointing. Looks a poor man's Josh Caddy in the midfield
Didn't like that bit where he just watched the ball lob into GC 50 from a long kick. Sexton grabbed it unopposed and goaled.
Stephens was just waiting for something to happen.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Mahoney did a few nice things against the dogs. Very composed, smart disposal and did the little things right.

Lacks a little bit of pace.

Comben has impressed the most.

Perez is a fair way off.

Bonar has shown a bit, but lacks a tank to challenge for a best 22 spot in my opinion.
What’s the depth on his kicking like?

The two “knocks” on Mahoney were his lack of speed and how far he can kick the ball.

He was always considered a smart player, with good defensive efforts.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Georgiades looks set to play round 1.

Bergman has a small injury that will keep him out.

Williams has had exceptional form during the preseason but they look set to start him in the magpies to get his fitness level up and also because they’re w***ers who like to pick 2 forwards and 20 midfielder / defenders.

Georgiades looks set to play round 1.

Bergman has a small injury that will keep him out.

Williams has had exceptional form during the preseason but they look set to start him in the magpies to get his fitness level up and also because they’re w***ers who like to pick 2 forwards and 20 midfielder / defenders.
I thought both of those guys were "reaches" at the time. If they are in the mix for rnd 1, shaping up as good selections.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought both of those guys were "reaches" at the time. If they are in the mix for rnd 1, shaping up as good selections.

I was worried about Georgiades simply because I watched a lot of the kids before the draft but didn’t see him because he missed the year.

having Seen him play a couple of games though I understand. He’s a freak.

DKP1

Rookie
Aug 10, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide have lost already. McAsey is a shocker.

Could've had Caleb Serong, Hayden Young or Will Day. Yikes.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Regardless of whether McAsey will make it, Adelaide have spent way too much in draft resources on defenders. They spent first round picks on Smith, Lever, Davis, McAsey, Doedee, Talia, Milera. Thats 7 in 11 years.

Easiest position to fill with bargain buys.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Regardless of whether McAsey will make it, Adelaide have spent way too much in draft resources on defenders. They spent first round picks on Smith, Lever, Davis, McAsey, Doedee, Talia, Milera. Thats 7 in 11 years.

That's actually a good point.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast

Its easy to look at that in hindsight; but things would be different had they managed to hold onto Lever and/or Davis.

Talia’s been a lock at full back since he’s been drafted, Doedee is stand in captain within 30 games. Milera and Smith were best available at time of drafting. Smith in particular was seen more as a midfielder but settled at half back after being drafted, and Milera has the talent to play a number of positions when fit.

Jury’s out on McAsey, but he’s a first year key position footballer. They will take time.

Probably should point out, I’m not disagreeing with your point- I’m not sure they got those calls incorrect, they haven’t been busts. They’ve also taken some smaller midfielders/half forwards as first rounders in that Period that haven’t come on as quickly as they would like.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Its easy to look at that in hindsight; but things would be different had they managed to hold onto Lever and/or Davis.

Talia’s been a lock at full back since he’s been drafted, Doedee is stand in captain within 30 games. Milera and Smith were best available at time of drafting. Smith in particular was seen more as a midfielder but settled at half back after being drafted, and Milera has the talent to play a number of positions when fit.

Jury’s out on McAsey, but he’s a first year key position footballer. They will take time.

Probably should point out, I’m not disagreeing with your point- I’m not sure they got those calls incorrect, they haven’t been busts. They’ve also taken some smaller midfielders/half forwards as first rounders in that Period that haven’t come on as quickly as they would like.

I think the fact they’ve got them right shows it’s the wrong the place to spend them. They are the worst team in competition and 4 of the 5 they still have have played nearly every game.

There has been 1 (3) premiership team that’s had more than 3 first round defenders they drafted in the last twenty years and that’s the Lions.

With the exception of them there’s been two other teams who have done it with three, Richmond 16 and West Coast 06. Everyone else 2 or less.

Cant do a re-draft or nominate who's a loser at this stage but their are some happy campers and in rough order of happiness:

GC: Seem to have at least one generational player from the draft and Anderson has slotted in to AFL seemlessly. Flanders and Sharp to have debuts by the end of today
Freo: Serong and Young look every bit the top 5 players many had them as, Frederick has already got 4 games under the belt and has a lot of AFL traits, Henry likely to debut this weekend after recovering from his knee injury
Melbourne: Cost them a future 1st but all of Jackson, Pickett and Rivers look fantastic. Jackson in particular to me has shown he could be absolutely anything. No other ruck moves like he can, not even Grundy
GWS: Green at 10 was ridiculous and his performances have proved it so far, would be playing in any other team you'd imagine. Ash already seems to be a b22 lock and has Shaw's spot locked up for next year you'd think.
Sydney: Stephens seems to be getting better each game and Taylor has the x-factor the team was crying out for
Port: Georgiades was thought of a reach but now people are wondering why he didnt go higher
Hawks: Day has been a shining light and looks a ripper
Adelaide: I actually think McAsey looks as good as a 1st year KPD can look in a team getting belted each week. Do agree that they have likely spent too much top end draft capital on defenders over the last few years

Plenty of other players have played a game or two so the early signs are pretty damn good for this one. Could have 3-4 top 10 mids, a generational ruck and full forward and a bunch of 200 game players

Spoke to a guy that played with him. Reckons McAsey is heaps overrated and shocked he was top10.

I was surprised cause I wanted him at Richmond based on his draft profile.
I reckon if you ask a lot of kids that play with someone who gets drafted they'll have similar thoughts, especially if they dont get drafted themselves

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Add Noah Anderson to the list of busts. Piggybacked off Rowell throughout his youth career and had no business being selected at pick 2. Slow and can't kick.

This is stupid.

May as well say Weightman is a bust because he got flattened by an umpire if we're going to post stupidity.

Add Noah Anderson to the list of busts. Piggybacked off Rowell throughout his youth career and had no business being selected at pick 2. Slow and can't kick.
Really?
I reckon he looks pretty good.

Gold coast have a great batch. Outside the big 5.
Plenty of other young blokes looking good, Weller, Powell, Ainsworth and Bowes all a tad older but still young and like strong players.
Ballard and Buderick down back could be really good.
Jackson and Flanders have shown a bit in limited opportunities already to suggest they'll be handy or better.
Keep them together and they'll contend in a few years.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I think you could say Anderson may have been more a safe bet at 2 rather than the best one
Much like McGrath was for us. And he's transitioned in beautifully for them.

I would have gone Ash at 2 (imagine Weller and Ash off each HBF), or pushed GWS on Green (Green + Rowell....oh my)

Keep an eye out for Crauford from the bombers. taken as a supplemental after Townsend. the vision from scratch matches is impressive.
For a baby giraffe, he doesn't move like one. Agile, clean below his knees, good in the air and capable forward, back and in the ruck.

Might get a gig this weekend as a rotation for McKernan/Stewart. But one for the future no doubt.

Back