Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Add Noah Anderson to the list of busts. Piggybacked off Rowell throughout his youth career and had no business being selected at pick 2. Slow and can't kick.
You were saying.....

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Getting Serong seems like a huge win for Freo right now.

Need a preseason in Henry and to get Young back from injury, and the 2019 draft is starting to look really good.
Fremantle going to be a tough team to beat in a few years time. Would be amazing (not for us) if they could fly up the ladder while Fyfe is still in his prime.

Gonna be some good battles between the Dogs and Freo.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Fremantle going to be a tough team to beat in a few years time. Would be amazing (not for us) if they could fly up the ladder while Fyfe is still in his prime.

Gonna be some good battles between the Dogs and Freo.

Sounds like a good time. Maybe we can next year; by my count there's always one team every year improving massively and making the 8 (Saints this year, Brisbane last year, etc.) so why can't it be Freo?

Really need to get some outsider run though. Maybe it was just some of our boys going on holiday early, but your guys killed us on the outside.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sounds like a good time. Maybe we can next year; by my count there's always one team every year improving massively and making the 8 (Saints this year, Brisbane last year, etc.) so why can't it be Freo?

Really need to get some outsider run though. Maybe it was just some of our boys going on holiday early, but your guys killed us on the outside.
Good coach and very good drafting can do that to you. Dogs in 2015 and Brisbane last year were off the back of decent draft hauls in the 3-5 years before, and I reckon Freo have done just that. You also have the added bonus of having arguably the best player in the comp to help out.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

Flew under the radar a bit, but a pretty solid outing from Hayden Young on the weekend. Just waiting on Liam Henry to come right.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Carlton reaching for Philp is a head scratcher. Hawks reaching for Day arguably worse. Port reaching for Georgiades.

Everyone for letting Robertson slide, especially Geelong, Carlton and Richmond.

How the fu** do Dow and Philp get taken before Robertson

Ouch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was very impressive last year. New generation of key forwards are a promising bunch.

Day did too generally Hawthorn (aside from the Dowler pick) get first rounders right.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not a huge fan of this draft tbh.

Think it will prove to be one of the weaker ones in the period.

There's always going to be a good 4-5 players in every draft, but I don't think the general depth is there. No surprise that quite a few underages of the 2020 class did well against this top age crew. Even some like Sonsie performed well against them as 16 year olds in the NAB League.

Add me to the list of those that thinks Anderson is fairly overrated. It will be interesting to see how he performs against some of the 2020 mids like Phillips, Powell, Perkins etc once they get fit.

Last edited:

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
How is Philp looking?
I couldn’t tell you, the only times I’ve seen Philp since being drafted were his two games he managed in the AFL last year. He didn’t do much. Club obviously like him though since he has already been given a two year extension and managed a couple of games in his first year.

I would’ve preferred we took Robertson or Sharp at the time but I’m not too concerned with the pick. He certainly has traits we are looking for.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One out of four ain’t bad.....
Well if it matters, I also have doubts over Dow, and feel Robertson will be a very good player (just stuck behind more experienced players at Brisbane and no injuries to provide opportunity to him). Philp is just the standout one for me in that Carlton made a mistake with him, just like they did with Stocker

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not a huge fan of this draft tbh.

Think it will prove to be one of the weaker ones in the period.

There's always going to be a good 4-5 players in every draft, but I don't think the general depth is there. No surprise that quite a few underages of the 2020 class did well against this top age crew. Even some like Sonsie performed well against them as 16 year olds in the NAB League.

Add me to the list of those that thinks Anderson is fairly overrated. It will be interesting to see how he performs against some of the 2020 mids like Phillips, Powell, Perkins etc once they get fit.
This aged well. 35 touches @ 80% efficiency for a likely 3 or 2 brownlow votes tonight

Georgi looked like a good pick up. Even on draft day

I was dirty on draft night as most people (including port) knew we were taking him with the next pick. Kid will be a star. Not at all unhappy we got de koning though.

Speaking of 2019 seeing evans debut this week...for a bloke who was basically in the ammos two years ago he looks very promising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back