2019 World Cup General Discussion

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice work by Finch...gather your stuff with Mr stoinis..oh yu already have?...
there we are already happy..
Bowling is overrated..smitty and that warner dude is casual in the crosshairs...

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Every match they play I’m more and more convinced this is quite simply england’s Tournament to lose.
The only chance sides have of beating them is sending them in and just backing themselves to run it down, West Indies managed to defend a mediocre score against them a few months ago but it’s incredibly hard to do.

They nearly chased down 400 against them in that series.
Pakistan are throwing down some big scores and England are just strolling home.

Every match they play I’m more and more convinced this is quite simply england’s Tournament to lose.
The only chance sides have of beating them is sending them in and just backing themselves to run it down, West Indies managed to defend a mediocre score against them a few months ago but it’s incredibly hard to do.

They nearly chased down 400 against them in that series.
Pakistan are throwing down some big scores and England are just strolling home.
England at home.

They'll bottle it.

A hard choke is about the only chance.
But to be fair to them, while they have choked in world cups before, they’ve not really had a side that in my eyes has gone into the tournament as the best side in it.
I guarantee you that they will bottle it.

We will see.
They can’t all choke - Sa, nz, Pakistan, England, even India to some extent considering some of the sides they had that never won.
But if Australia wins, wouldn't that indicate they all did?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
But if Australia wins, wouldn't that indicate they all did?

This is a major bugbear of mine.

I don’t know if it’s just an Aussie thing or a worldwide thing. But losing when you are expected to win doesn’t equal choking.

If Australia wins because England have made 370 in the final and then Finch comes out and blasts 195 off 140 and plays the innings of his life, would that indicate that Australia won or England lost?

We have a tendency to attribute every unexpected result to some sort of mental collapse by the favourite. Why can’t a game just be decided because one team played better?

I don’t know if it’s just an Aussie thing or a worldwide thing. But losing when you are expected to win doesn’t equal choking.

If Australia wins because England have made 370 in the final and then Finch comes out and blasts 195 off 140 and plays the innings of his life, would that indicate that Australia won or England lost?

We have a tendency to attribute every unexpected result to some sort of mental collapse by the favourite. Why can’t a game just be decided because one team played better?
I should note when I say bottle it I'm talking about a spectacular collapse.

I could easily see England being 2/220 in the final chasing 270 with 10 overs left and ******* it up.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla

Certainly not exclusively an Australian thing. Liverpool have been coping the "bottled" tag even though they've just had one of the best seasons of all time points wise. There's barely a match in the NBA where someone isn't accused of choking.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I should note when I say bottle it I'm talking about a spectacular collapse.

I could easily see England being 2/220 in the final chasing 270 with 10 overs left and ******* it up.

I could see that happening with some of the better England sides of the last 10 years but I just think they’ve got too many guns with the bat at least to let that happen. Bairstow, Morgan and Buttler in particular are very mentally strong.

With the ball im not as impressed hence I think they could be suseciptible if they bat first

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Do we have any (very) early predictions for how the standings will look after the group stage? I think I'd go:

1. India
2. England
3. NZ
4. SA
5. Australia
6. WI
7. Pakistan
8. Afghanistan
9. Bangladesh
10. Sri Lanka

The top 2 being in a tier on their own with NZ/SA/Aus/WI/Pak really a lottery. I'd actually back England to beat India in the final but can see India being more consistent in the group stage. Sri Lanka are clearly the worst team for mine and in fact if they were made to qualify I would have backed both Scotland and Zimbabwe to beat them.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Do we have any (very) early predictions for how the standings will look after the group stage? I think I'd go:

1. India
2. England
3. NZ
4. SA
5. Australia
6. WI
7. Pakistan
8. Afghanistan
9. Bangladesh
10. Sri Lanka

The top 2 being in a tier on their own with NZ/SA/Aus/WI/Pak really a lottery. I'd actually back England to beat India in the final but can see India being more consistent in the group stage. Sri Lanka are clearly the worst team for mine and in fact if they were made to qualify I would have backed both Scotland and Zimbabwe to beat them.

West Indies have to win the toss to do damage. Without Narine we simply don’t have a spinner who can lock up the middle overs.
Teams know they can go 6 an over against us between the power plays.

Our only chance is to keep teams to under 350 and back our admittedly fairly dangerous batting to run it down

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
What's wrong with 370? Surely it's about how close the game is, regardless of the score.
I watch cricket for a contest between bat and ball not necessarily a contest between teams. Sure I can admire the fearlessness that England especially have been going about their ODI batting however ideally I want to feel like the bowling side can attack rather than just trying to defend runs as much as possible.

What's wrong with 370? Surely it's about how close the game is, regardless of the score.

As a rare event, great.

As something common, very bad.

When people talk about wanting a balance between bat and ball, it's really about variety. There should be high scoring matches, slow matches, quick matches with lots of wickets, everything put together evening out to be an 'even contest between bat and ball'. We don't have that at the moment.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I could see that happening with some of the better England sides of the last 10 years but I just think they’ve got too many guns with the bat at least to let that happen. Bairstow, Morgan and Buttler in particular are very mentally strong.

With the ball im not as impressed hence I think they could be suseciptible if they bat first

Morgan will choose to chase every chance he gets. Quite rightly too.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
As a rare event, great.

As something common, very bad.

When people talk about wanting a balance between bat and ball, it's really about variety. There should be high scoring matches, slow matches, quick matches with lots of wickets, everything put together evening out to be an 'even contest between bat and ball'. We don't have that at the moment.

Bristol was a terribly small field though. It makes me feel bad for the bowlers before a ball is bowled when I see fields like that.

Back