2019 World Cup General Discussion

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Game against Sri Lanka in a couple days looks good weather wise.

I'm probably tempting fate here but its a good time to increase NRR surely.
Its getting to the point now that unless we get a washout at some point there isn't really anyone we can tie with that NRR will come into play. Its only England and Afghanistan where NRR would be the tie-breaker with us at the moment.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Game against Sri Lanka in a couple days looks good weather wise.

I'm probably tempting fate here but its a good time to increase NRR surely.

We seem to be avoiding all the weather, today's game looks like rain, india vs pakistan on Sunday rain and the other Saturday game sa vs Afghanistan is rain, would be a tough way for sa to go out rained out game vs Afghanistan.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
FB_IMG_1560469027043.jpg

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Just downloaded the ICC19 app from play store.Really good has all the rankings for countries and players.In all formats Testa.Odi+T20.Wagon wheels for batsman runs.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I hate to say it, but the back half of this world cup is looming as rather tedious. We're only at the half way point, and it's hard to see the top four changing.

West indies are the only team I can see challenging, but they need at least one upset win, and can't drop points against in any of the three games against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Afghanistan.

The South African implosion has moved the schism in the table to the worst possible spot, between fourth and fifth.

I hate to say it, but the back half of this world cup is looming as rather tedious. We're only at the half way point, and it's hard to see the top four changing.

West indies are the only team I can see challenging, but they need at least one upset win, and can't drop points against in any of the three games against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Afghanistan.

The South African implosion has moved the schism in the table to the worst possible spot, between fourth and fifth.

There are only a few matches left that are likely to be important. Today's between Bangladesh and the West Indies, the next match after that of the winner, and NZ vs SA, and if they all go as I expect (Bangladesh, Australia, NZ), it's all over.

Yup - I had this feeling looking at the table Friday night I think and the weekend results have just re-entrenched what looks like a top four that will clear out from the rest.

Time for the spot fixing championships to begin.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

100%.
The format helps guarantee India play 9 matches, but not that India will play 9 meaningful matches.

It definitely doesn't help that 4/6 of the Australia/India/England/New Zealand matches are played in the last 3 matches (all of which are essentially dead rubbers).

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Windies seem the best placed of the teams outside looking in as they already have a healthy nrr.

If the Windies win tonight they are on 5 points, they have two weak sides to finish(afg sl) so that would be nine points so assuming they lose to India it would be that nz game that decides things.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Windies seem the best placed of the teams outside looking in as they already have a healthy nrr.

If the Windies win tonight they are on 5 points, they have two weak sides to finish(afg sl) so that would be nine points so assuming they lose to India it would be that nz game that decides things.

We are awful against spin so nothing is a given. Bangladesh have no fear of us having comfortably beaten us the last handful of times they’ve played us so I’m not going to make any assumptions

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Yeah winning tonight is no guarantee, coin flip game really but if they do win tonight that nz game becomes important even more so if sa beat the kiwis before that game.

Having the easier games last would let them take some risks to boost their nrr if it's likely to be the deciding factor.

Back