2019 World Cup General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2019 Cricket World Cup will be held in England from the 30th of May to the 14th of July. 10 teams will play a round-robin competition, with the top 4 going through to the Semi-Finals. The final will be held at Lords.

No provisional squads of 30 this year - all teams need to name their 15 man squads by April 23rd, with changes able to be made up to 7 days prior to the tournament beginning.

Squads

Afghanistan
Gulbadin Naib (capt), Mohammad Shahzad (wk), Noor Ali Zadran, Hazratullah Zazai, Rahmat Shah, Asghar Afghan, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Najibullah Zadran, Samiullah Shinwari, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Dawlat Zadran, Aftab Alam, Hamid Hassan, Mujeeb ur Rahman

Australia
Aaron Finch (c), Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Pat Cummins, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis

Bangladesh
Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), Liton Das, Mohammad Mithun, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mahmudullah, Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal, Soumya Sarkar, Mohammad Saifuddin, Abu Jayed, Mustafizur Rahman, Rubel Hossain, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Sabbir Rahman, Mosaddek Hossain

England
Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Tom Curran, Joe Denly, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

India
Virat Kohli (capt), Rohit Sharma (vice capt), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, MS Dhoni (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami.

New Zealand
Kane Williamson (capt), Martin Guptill, Henry Nicholls, Ross Taylor, Tom Latham, Colin Munro, Tom Blundell, Jimmy Neesham, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Matt Henry, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult

Pakistan
Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Abid Ali, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Hafeez (subject to fitness), Sarfaraz Ahmed (capt & wk), Shadab Khan, Imad Wasim, Hasan Ali, Faheem Ashraf, Shaheen Afridi, Junaid Khan, Mohammad Hasnain, Haris Sohail

South Africa
Faf du Plessis (capt), JP Duminy, David Miller, Dale Steyn, Andile Phehlukwayo, Imran Tahir, Kagiso Rabada, Dwaine Pretorius, Quinton de Kock (wk), Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi, Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, Hashim Amla, Tabraiz Shamsi

Sril Lanka
Dimuth Karunaratne (capt.), Lasith Malinga, Angelo Mathews, Thisara Perera, Kusal Perera, Dhananjaya de Silva, Kusal Mendis, Isuru Udana, Milinda Siriwardana, Avishka Fernando, Jeevan Mendis, Lahiru Thirimanne, Jeffrey Vandersay, Nuwan Pradeep, Suranga Lakmal

West Indies
Jason Holder (capt), Fabian Allen, Darren Bravo, Carlos Brathwaite, Sheldon Cottrell, Shannon Gabriel, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope (wk), Evin Lewis, Ashley Nurse, Nicholas Pooran, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Oshane Thomas

England and India are currently the favorites for the tournament. It's the first time all teams have played each other since the 1992 World Cup, which is fondly remembered, but the limitation to 10 teams has caused a lot of heartache and controversy in the lead up.

Last edited:

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
England have been on fire the last two years. Home crowd and expectations of winning it, will they be too strong or have they peaked too early?

Peaking too early is not the right concept. They play an extremely high risk brand of cricket still prone to disaster. I think given their capabilities they deserve favouritism, but they've shown they could sweep through the tournament only to crumble for 50 in the final so will be a lot of suspicion.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
So ahhhh some really weird s**t is happening to Afghanistan right now. The board has just stood down Asghar Afghan as captain from all 3 formats and installed Gulbadin Naib as captain and Rashid Khan as vc for the World Cup. However Mohammad Nabi and Rashid have both just tweeted that they want Afghan to remain captain. Its all very strange.

Last edited:

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
So ahhhh some really weird s**t is happening to Afghanistan right now. The board has just stood down Asghar Afghan as captain from all 3 formats and installed Gulbadin Naib as captain and Rashid Khan as vc for the World Cup. However Mohammad Nabi and Rashid have both just tweeted that they want Afghan to remain captain. Its all very strange.
Is Gulbadain Naib even best XI? Very strange

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
New Zealand
Kane Williamson (capt), Martin Guptill, Henry Nicholls, Ross Taylor, Tom Latham, Colin Munro, Tom Blundell, Jimmy Neesham, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Matt Henry, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Neesham
De Grandhomme
Santer
Southee
Boult
Ferguson

Henry
Munro
Sodhi
Blundell

EDIT seems very bowler heavy, maybe Munro for Neesham or De Grandhomme, even though I don't rate Munro in ODIs

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
New Zealand

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Neesham
De Grandhomme
Santer
Southee
Boult
Ferguson

Henry
Munro
Sodhi
Blundell

EDIT seems very bowler heavy, maybe Munro for Neesham or De Grandhomme, even though I don't rate Munro in ODIs
Nicholls has been opening with Latham at 5 but that looks pretty good. I'd take Neesham over Munro on his batting alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
New Zealand

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Neesham
De Grandhomme
Santer
Southee
Boult
Ferguson

Henry
Munro
Sodhi
Blundell

What has happened to Corey Anderson?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow, that looks shocking

Don't know if its a standard design across all countries?
I don't mind it. It seems of modelled on the WSC kits from around 1980, except that green was darker - or maybe just less flourescent than that photo makes out - and didn't go down the sleeves.
I wish all nations were having a standard design, but I doubt it or all uniforms would have been released at once.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
India have named their squad

Virat Kohli (c)
Rohit Sharma
Shikhar Dhawan
K.L. Rahul
M.S. Dhoni
Dinesh Karthik
Vijay Shankar
Hardik Pandya
Kedar Jadhav
Ravindra Jadeja
Yuzvendra Chahal
Kuldeep Yadav
Bhuvi Kumar
Jasprit Bumrah
Mohammad Shami

Pant and Rayudu being left out seems to be the main talking points.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now I have got my special position intact... Finch.. Smith... Warner.. Stoinis.. yeah hooo.. and Uzii and well who else is there?
Joshy I want in there.. and well Mr Garry I want as well..

I will enlighten you when we get further into the season...

Glad to have smitty and Davey along again... :thumbsu:

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
India have named their squad

Virat Kohli (c)
Rohit Sharma
Shikhar Dhawan
K.L. Rahul
M.S. Dhoni
Dinesh Karthik
Vijay Shankar
Hardik Pandya
Kedar Jadhav
Ravindra Jadeja
Yuzvendra Chahal
Kuldeep Yadav
Bhuvi Kumar
Jasprit Bumrah
Mohammad Shami

Pant and Rayudu being left out seems to be the main talking points.

Given how unfit Dhoni is and how rubbish all their bats except Kohli and Sharma were against us you'd think they could have found a spot for Pant if just to give Dhoni a chop out for a couple of matches.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The 2019 Cricket World Cup will be held in England from the 30th of May to the 14th of July. 10 teams will play a round-robin competition, with the top 4 going through to the Semi-Finals. The final will be held at Lords.

No provisional squads of 30 this year - all teams need to name their 15 man squads by April 23rd, with changes able to be made up to 7 days prior to the tournament beginning.

Squads

Afghanistan

Australia

Bangladesh

England

India

New Zealand

Pakistan

South Africa

Sril Lanka

West Indies

England and India are currently the favorites for the tournament. It's the first time all teams have played each other since the 1992 World Cup, which is fondly remembered, but the limitation to 10 teams has caused a lot of heartache and controversy in the lead up.
and so we all say but rules are to be broken and we have a lot of talking to do.. or playing to do..
everyone has a chance.. everyone... it aint easy...

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am so looking forward to this world cup.. don't care how it starts or where and who...

I want it as much as the Ashes... why can't we win both?

sounds like some variation o some stupid joke..
I don't think I've ever been so uninterested in a WC. I'm always interested in seeing what the minor teams can do as much as who wins the thing, that's been taken away this time. I think it will be a bit like the BBL, a long middle of no interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back