2019 World Cup - Who should Australia select?

Remove this Banner Ad

They aren't better bowling options right now, particularly not at the death. Those two are 5th bowlers, Faulkner was playing as the 3rd seamer.
Umm I never said they were better bowlers just better overall options as players. I'd rather play a pure bowler over the likes of Faulkner.

They aren't better bowling options right now, particularly not at the death. Those two are 5th bowlers, Faulkner was playing as the 3rd seamer. I don't see a side with Marsh, Stoinis and Faulkner all in it. With Faulkner out of form and Marsh and Stoinis playing well we're more likely to play 3 quick bowlers and not care about their batting. Faulkner's absence has helped open the door for Tye to be given a crack.

Where did I suggest he should be in the side now? He's not in form, so he's not in. Simples. Also which rules have changed since 2013 when he debuted?

In 2015 (after the world cup) they got rid of the batting powerplay and allowed fielding teams to have five rather than four men out of the circle.

Coincidentally the "finisher" stopped scoring runs after these changes.

Last World Cup it simply seemed from my point of view, picking the a team good enough to win World Cup but had no doubt we had the talent. This time not so sure we got the batsmen to win it. I know we got enough quality bowlers but batting still seems a nightmare. Going to need all of these 12 months to find right combination.

Opening
Most think Finch and Warner.
I am not convinced in English conditions that will get us off to enough good starts.
I fear caught in slips by Finch early a lot. People will look at his stats and be happy.
I still look at way he plays early and worry a lot!!!

Other options to explore in next 15 months:
Shaun Marsh to open with one of them (Warner probably) or Travis Head to open with Warner like he done a few times.

Top Order
Alternatively if stick with Finch and Warner maybe Shaun Marsh at 3 to stiffen and steady it up in early overs if wicket falls early.

Some will say Khwaja. His batting talent in good enough but his fielding and running between wickets is not up to international representation standard for mine. Joe Burns is better option but honestly think only one of Shaun Marsh or Burns can go. The good thing about Burns and Marsh is they can bat top order and middle order. I want one of them going. Travis Head is ahead of these guys and almost a lock at this stage but Marsh in squad too would be ideal imo.

4 & 5
Steve Smith and Maxwell for mine.

Batting Allrounder

In English conditions think we only want one.
Hence find it hard to believe we can afford to play Mitch Marsh and Stoinis together in England.
I think one of them plays then and both likely in the squad. In 1999 it was Shane Lee and Tom Moody for this role in squad. In the end Tom Moody was the guy they went with at back end of tournament.
I think Mitch Marsh is our Tom Moody role for 2019 World Cup.
Agar an outsider as spinning allrounder but does not bowl often enough for mine to be likely to be relied upon.

Keeper
Paine or Carey.
Not fussed either way but trust Paine experience more. I like the way he thought through last few overs the other night. Eventually Curran knocked him over but that ball would have knocked many others over too.
In the squad they could try left field option of back up keeper of Handscombe or Bancroft to double up having an extra top order batting back up as alternative if they only want to take one of Paine or Carey.

Pace Bowlers
This is easy for mine. If Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood and Pattison all fit they all go.
The other pace options of a few injured would be the often injured Behrendorf and Coulter-Nile or young punks of Stanlake or J Richardson.
I think we will be playing 3 each match and need at least 2 back up in the squad.

Front Line Spinner
Lyon, Swepson, Boyce, Fawad or Zampa.
We might take 2 of these but only 1 would not surprise and for mine I'd back Lyon when push comes to shove. Form in next 15 months will decide who goes.

I do not think this is the 15 but right now I think these are the most likely 15 to go.

Adam Finch
David Warner
Shaun Marsh ( Joe Burns if Marsh back plays up again)
Travis Head
Steve Smith
Glenn Maxwell
Mitch Marsh
Marcus Stoinis
Tim Paine
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
James Pattinson (Coulter-Nile if Pattinson breaks down again before him)
Josh Hazelwood
Jason Behrendorff
Nathan Lyon

Bowling would give me lots of confidence.
Batting would be pray and hope it works but no real confidence we got the guns we did in 1999 as an example.
Our approach for this World Cup as a result would be pick our best 4 strike bowlers and our 5th bowling allrounder has to be in good form to be relied upon for 10 overs most games and to grab the odd wicket like Tom Moody did in 1999. If we try to pick our 3rd pace bowler based on economy I think we will be dead in water from start. Got to aim to knock other sides over in 50 overs in English conditions imo.
s**t , would not even bother me if we went with 4 pace bowlers and Lyon if we felt that our best chance. Cummins at 7 and Starc at 8 would not be a terrible option if we wanted 5 strike bowlers.

Last edited:

*, just realised I forgot Chris Lynn.

Oh well, delete post and start again. haha

nah, bugger it, his shoulder will be stuffed from so much T20 around the world he will probably never be right anyway.

In 2015 (after the world cup) they got rid of the batting powerplay and allowed fielding teams to have five rather than four men out of the circle.

Coincidentally the "finisher" stopped scoring runs after these changes.

I wish they'd leave the rules alone for 5 min. They dicked around with it in 2012 as well.

Since the WC Faulkner has batted 19 times for a grand total of 272 balls with 8 not outs. So he's averaged about 2/3 as many balls per innings.

But yeah still out of form.

Last World Cup it simply seemed from my point of view, picking the a team good enough to win World Cup but had no doubt we had the talent. This time not so sure we got the batsmen to win it. I know we got enough quality bowlers but batting still seems a nightmare. Going to need all of these 12 months to find right combination.

Opening
Most think Finch and Warner.
I am not convinced in English conditions that will get us off to enough good starts.
I fear caught in slips by Finch early a lot. People will look at his stats and be happy.
I still look at way he plays early and worry a lot!!!

Other options to explore in next 15 months:
Shaun Marsh to open with one of them (Warner probably) or Travis Head to open with Warner like he done a few times.

Top Order
Alternatively if stick with Finch and Warner maybe Shaun Marsh at 3 to stiffen and steady it up in early overs if wicket falls early.

Some will say Khwaja. His batting talent in good enough but his fielding and running between wickets is not up to international representation standard for mine. Joe Burns is better option but honestly think only one of Shaun Marsh or Burns can go. The good thing about Burns and Marsh is they can bat top order and middle order. I want one of them going. Travis Head is ahead of these guys and almost a lock at this stage but Marsh in squad too would be ideal imo.

4 & 5
Steve Smith and Maxwell for mine.

Batting Allrounder

In English conditions think we only want one.
Hence find it hard to believe we can afford to play Mitch Marsh and Stoinis together in England.
I think one of them plays then and both likely in the squad. In 1999 it was Shane Lee and Tom Moody for this role in squad. In the end Tom Moody was the guy they went with at back end of tournament.
I think Mitch Marsh is our Tom Moody role for 2019 World Cup.
Agar an outsider as spinning allrounder but does not bowl often enough for mine to be likely to be relied upon.

Keeper
Paine or Carey.
Not fussed either way but trust Paine experience more. I like the way he thought through last few overs the other night. Eventually Curran knocked him over but that ball would have knocked many others over too.
In the squad they could try left field option of back up keeper of Handscombe or Bancroft to double up having an extra top order batting back up as alternative if they only want to take one of Paine or Carey.

Pace Bowlers
This is easy for mine. If Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood and Pattison all fit they all go.
The other pace options of a few injured would be the often injured Behrendorf and Coulter-Nile or young punks of Stanlake or J Richardson.
I think we will be playing 3 each match and need at least 2 back up in the squad.

Front Line Spinner
Lyon, Swepson, Boyce, Fawad or Zampa.
We might take 2 of these but only 1 would not surprise and for mine I'd back Lyon when push comes to shove. Form in next 15 months will decide who goes.

I do not think this is the 15 but right now I think these are the most likely 15 to go.

Adam Finch
David Warner
Shaun Marsh ( Joe Burns if Marsh back plays up again)
Travis Head
Steve Smith
Glenn Maxwell
Mitch Marsh
Marcus Stoinis
Tim Paine
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
James Pattinson (Coulter-Nile if Pattinson breaks down again before him)
Josh Hazelwood
Jason Behrendorff
Nathan Lyon

Bowling would give me lots of confidence.
Batting would be pray and hope it works but no real confidence we got the guns we did in 1999 as an example.
Our approach for this World Cup as a result would be pick our best 4 strike bowlers and our 5th bowling allrounder has to be in good form to be relied upon for 10 overs most games and to grab the odd wicket like Tom Moody did in 1999. If we try to pick our 3rd pace bowler based on economy I think we will be dead in water from start. Got to aim to knock other sides over in 50 overs in English conditions imo.
s**t , would not even bother me if we went with 4 pace bowlers and Lyon if we felt that our best chance. Cummins at 7 and Starc at 8 would not be a terrible option if we wanted 5 strike bowlers.
we also need to look at a 6th bowler. England looked in trouble the other night when Jake Ball broke down. Credit to him for continuing, but it might have got ugly. Who can our captain call on to help here.

Warner (c)
Finch
Stoinis
Smith
Marsh
Maxwell
Carey
Two of Cummins/Hazelwood/Starc
Tye
Lyon
Fawad Ahmed/Swepson

That my current line up. That could change many times in the next 18 months.

With the current way ODIs are played pace off the ball is important. Hence I'd only play 2 of the main quicks at the very most as pace off the pitch is pace to the boundary. Hence the reason for 2 spinners.

Last edited:
we also need to look at a 6th bowler. England looked in trouble the other night when Jake Ball broke down. Credit to him for continuing, but it might have got ugly. Who can our captain call on to help here.

Well ideally we are bowling Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon and the other 10 overs can be shared between Mitch Marsh and Maxwell depending on whom in better form at time and type of pitch they get that day in England. But if someone breaks down maybe both Marsh and Maxwell have to bowl 10 overs each. Worst come to worst in such circumstances then Steve Smith or Travis Head have to roll arm over.

But is is a good question to pose.
The more I think of it would be attracted to trying 5 strike bowlers from the start.

Warner
S Marsh
S Smith
Maxwell
M Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

would be massive change from what we doing now but it would mean our bowling strength would be such that we aim to knock other teams over in English conditions. Then we only call on Maxwell or Mitch Marsh if someone breaks down rather than expect them to be needed to bowl at all times.

Well ideally we are bowling Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon and the other 10 overs can be shared between Mitch Marsh and Maxwell depending on whom in better form at time and type of pitch they get that day in England. But if someone breaks down maybe both Marsh and Maxwell have to bowl 10 overs each. Worst come to worst in such circumstances then Steve Smith or Travis Head have to roll arm over.

The more I think of it would be attracted to trying 5 strike bowlers from the start.

Warner
S Marsh
S Smith
Maxwell
M Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

would be massive change from what we doing now but it would mean our bowling strength would be such that we aim to knock other teams over in English conditions. Then we only call on Maxwell or Mitch Marsh if someone breaks down rather than expect them to be needed to bowl at all times.

I like the idea of Shaun Marsh returning as in theory he is perfect partner for Warner and can form the glue that the others bat around (and his scoring rate goes exponential the longer he bats). However, Finch is absolutely undroppable at the moment. I think you're overestimating the bowler friendliness of English conditions a bit, particularly the kind of pitches we'll see for a short form event.

Warner
S Marsh
S Smith
Maxwell
M Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

Pace off the ball seems to work better giving the scoring climate of current ODI's. Fast bowling seems to go to the fence faster. More inclined to pick just two of the quicks and two spinners, Tye and our all rounders.

If it's 'english' conditions, you might want Mitch Marsh more than a genuine pace man. He'll get it nipping around. Last time in England it was difficult conditions, our quick bowlers didn't use it at all well. Haze being the big disappointment there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's 'english' conditions, you might want Mitch Marsh more than a genuine pace man. He'll get it nipping around. Last time in England it was difficult conditions, our quick bowlers didn't use it at all well. Haze being the big disappointment there.
You'd think Marsh & Stoinis are both close to locks in that side.

Would’ve thought your concern would be he didn’t bat enough! His bowling has been excellent in recent times but at the moment he seems like a good number 7.

Stoinis at 3 was actually a really good experiment. Stoinis and M.Marsh both deserve to play on form but they really needed to split them up in the middle order.

It was interesting experiment.
If we tried all out assault opening 15 overs would be fun to experiment with Warner and Lynn opening with Stoinis number 3 and they all have a licence to just go for it for those 15 overs. If they all fail up to Steve Smith to steady the ship at number 4

Experimental side version 19...
Warner
Lynn
Stoinis
S Smith
M Marsh
Maxwell
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon

It was interesting experiment.
If we tried all out assault opening 15 overs would be fun to experiment with Warner and Lynn opening with Stoinis number 3 and they all have a licence to just go for it for those 15 overs. If they all fail up to Steve Smith to steady the ship at number 4

Experimental side version 19...
Warner
Lynn
Stoinis
S Smith
M Marsh
Maxwell
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Pattinson
Lyon
Finch is the form man but gets dropped for a bloke who has played 1 ODI (Not a specatular debut either).

I know theres a lot of hype around Chris Lynn but unless he can come in and score big withing the next 12 months, I can't see him being in the best 11 when the WC comes around.

Don't see Pattinson being in our limited overs side.

Struggling to see how the bloke will play any cricket going forward tbh. From what I've heard, his back is beyond stuffed.

Might well be. But many of us also thought 15 months ago we might not see Cummins again and now he just played a full summer for first time in eons.

If it's 'english' conditions, you might want Mitch Marsh more than a genuine pace man.
Yeah, nah, as we seen tonight with him going for 53 runs off 4 overs he needs to be picked for his batting only. His bowling cannot be relied on for 10 overs. He should be a bowling option but that is probably where it ends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back