Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll have to have a closer look at Miles Bergman. Someone asked me earlier in the week about him on our board.

For me, the two questions I have are;

Why no Mitch O’Neill in the first two rounds, and Bergman instead of O’Neill?

What is Bergman’s contested footy like? We’re currently playing Mitch Robinson and Zac Bailey on the wings as they both play combative, contested footy, instead of Lewy Taylor and Tom Cutler who are both natural wings.

Bergman is a guy I’ve liked since the Champs, I wouldn’t be surprised if he went closer to the start of the second round. He has the height and aerial ability that O’Neill doesn’t, and can also play across half forward. Contested game isn’t a feature but should be fine.

I have O’Neill at the top of the third round. I do like his outside game, and he’s been consistent this year. Just feel as though others may have gone past him. Particularly if I’m anticipating what clubs will do.

Great mock draft Chris. Although AFL giving gold coast a priority pick because two players are best freinds is a joke even if the gold coast are crap. Heard of a father son rule but not the best freinds rule. Maybe lukosios and rozee should both be both playing at port because they are best freinds.

My thinking is something needs to be done. It’s either the AFL paying for established players (and good ones) to go there. Which won’t work, because it would be a long term financial commitment and I doubt the players would be invested in the club.

Or giving them a final one off priority pick and taking advantage of the fact that two guys are friends and may actually be willing to stick around past their rookie contracts.

Other clubs might not be happy, but who cares. It’s also better than a tanking Melbourne getting Noah Anderson.

My thinking is something needs to be done. It’s either the AFL paying for established players (and good ones) to go there. Which won’t work, because it would be a long term financial commitment and I doubt the players would be invested in the club.

Or giving them a final one off priority pick and taking advantage of the fact that two guys are friends and may actually be willing to stick around past their rookie contracts.

Other clubs might not be happy, but who cares. It’s also better than a tanking Melbourne getting Noah Anderson.
The AFL need to get the club into a position where young players don’t want to keep leaving, before pumping more young kids into them otherwise what’s the point?

The AFL need to get the club into a position where young players don’t want to keep leaving, before pumping more young kids into them otherwise what’s the point?
If you can find 6 genuine A grade players in the 24 to 28 age bracket to move to Gold Coast at the AFL’s coast.

Otherwise, GC need to reset and top up with extra top end talent through the draft, and hope enough stay.

Great mock draft Chris. Although AFL giving gold coast a priority pick because two players are best freinds is a joke even if the gold coast are crap. Heard of a father son rule but not the best freinds rule. Maybe lukosios and rozee should both be both playing at port because they are best freinds.
Great idea!

Can you see Lachlan Hoile finding a spot late 3rd round potentially? Versatile defensive mid that has the ability to play inside and outside. Good skills, going at 80% while racking up big numbers. Watched him play a bit over this year, takes a good intercept mark also when resting in the D50

Best way to keep players is by winning. Best way to win is with established A grade talent. Best way to get the established talent is to either develop them yourself or with a list that attracts them in.

It’s either give them a priority pick or pump even more money in.

Can you see Lachlan Hoile finding a spot late 3rd round potentially? Versatile defensive mid that has the ability to play inside and outside. Good skills, going at 80% while racking up big numbers. Watched him play a bit over this year, takes a good intercept mark also when resting in the D50

Rookie list would be his go.

Went and watched Centrals v Norwood on friday night. Durdin very impressive with 3 goals and a poster after a couple bounces. Shaw solid down back and looked comfortable at the level, spent a fair bit of time on Panos in the second half. Stephens i thought was just ok, worked hard but no real impact. Taheny was terrible, haven't seen a footballer less interested during a game, talent will get him drafted, attitude and work rate will get him spit out in no time. Gerloff had good numbers but no real impact, Nunn was outstanding and probably the best player on the ground. Didn't mind Caruford in reserves as a mobile athletic ruck for norwood

Chris, your thoughts on Noah Hannigan. Missed much of the season, kicked 6 on Saturday.

He's been good over the last month, kicking 6.5 from 11 touches the other week is impressive for a forward. Tested well at the screening earlier in the year too, sub 3 second 20m sprint. I suspect he'll be one to keep an eye on next year as a 19 year old.

Haven't updated with any stats for a few weeks, so from this round...

League
Riley Thilthorpe - 10 touches, 4 marks, 1 goal
Dylan Stephens - 22 touches, 6 marks, 3 clearances, 2 goals
Elliot Dunkin - 28 touches, 6 marks, 3 rebound 50s
Cole Gerloff - 11 touches, 3 marks, 3 goals
Luke Partington - 28 touches, 5 tackles, 5 clearances, 11 inside 50s
Will Gould - 27 touches, 5 marks, 10 rebound 50s
Bradley Close - 19 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles
Oliver Shaw - 13 touches, 4 marks, 2 rebound 50s, 1 goal
Hayden Sampson - 16 touches, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal

Reserves
Will Day - 26 touches, 8 marks, 5 inside 50s, 1 goal
Cameron Taheny - 11 touches, 5 tackles, 1 goal
Anzac Lochowiak - 20 touches, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 5 inside 50s
Mihail Lochowiak - 9 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 3 behinds
Jackson Mead - 27 touches, 6 marks, 4 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Josh Morris - 12 touches, 5 marks, 5 goals, 4 behinds
Luke Beecken - 13 touches, 5 tackles, 2 goals
Jamie Coff - 15 touches, 7 marks, 13 hitouts, 7 inside 50s, 1 goal

U18s
Luke Edwards - 17 touches, 4 goals
Lachlan Hoile - 25 touches, 6 marks, 5 inside 50s, 7 rebound 50s
Harrison Magor - 29 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 9 clearances

Haven't updated with any stats for a few weeks, so from this round...

League
Riley Thilthorpe - 10 touches, 4 marks, 1 goal
Dylan Stephens - 22 touches, 6 marks, 3 clearances, 2 goals
Elliot Dunkin - 28 touches, 6 marks, 3 rebound 50s
Cole Gerloff - 11 touches, 3 marks, 3 goals
Luke Partington - 28 touches, 5 tackles, 5 clearances, 11 inside 50s
Will Gould - 27 touches, 5 marks, 10 rebound 50s
Bradley Close - 19 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles
Oliver Shaw - 13 touches, 4 marks, 2 rebound 50s, 1 goal
Hayden Sampson - 16 touches, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal

Reserves
Will Day - 26 touches, 8 marks, 5 inside 50s, 1 goal
Cameron Taheny - 11 touches, 5 tackles, 1 goal
Anzac Lochowiak - 20 touches, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 5 inside 50s
Mihail Lochowiak - 9 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 3 behinds
Jackson Mead - 27 touches, 6 marks, 4 clearances, 7 inside 50s
Josh Morris - 12 touches, 5 marks, 5 goals, 4 behinds
Luke Beecken - 13 touches, 5 tackles, 2 goals
Jamie Coff - 15 touches, 7 marks, 13 hitouts, 7 inside 50s, 1 goal

U18s
Luke Edwards - 17 touches, 4 goals
Lachlan Hoile - 25 touches, 6 marks, 5 inside 50s, 7 rebound 50s
Harrison Magor - 29 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 9 clearances

Where do you reckon Stephens will go in the draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you reckon Stephens will go in the draft?

I'd take him at #3. Next best midfielder in the draft after the top 2 guys.

As to where he'll go...I think he comes into the equation for Adelaide at #3 and Fremantle at #6 as both best available and perfect fit. Doubtful he'd get past Port Adelaide at #9 if he made it that far.

I'd take him at #3. Next best midfielder in the draft after the top 2 guys.

As to where he'll go...I think he comes into the equation for Adelaide at #3 and Fremantle at #6 as both best available and perfect fit. Doubtful he'd get past Port Adelaide at #9 if he made it that far.

Hamish will take him wherever our pick is.

Still confuses me how people dropped Dylan Stephens down the order after the Champs, claiming he underperformed. He was clearly the best outside midfielder across the tournament and a top 10 talent. He's only gotten better since then too.

As a Fremantle fan, I'm just hoping Adelaide try to be too clever and either trade down or overlook him.

Still confuses me how people dropped Dylan Stephens down the order after the Champs, claiming he underperformed. He was clearly the best outside midfielder across the tournament and a top 10 talent. He's only gotten better since then too.

As a Fremantle fan, I'm just hoping Adelaide try to be too clever and either trade down or overlook him.

Everyone keeps placing him around 9 in their mocks and that sits alright with me lol.

3-6 should be his range but if he’s available to port I would be ecstatic.

Most underrated inside game from an outside player ever.

Being outside, SA missed a lot of hand ball receivers and running to space from Stephens . Not his fault but people has marked him down unfairly.

Won’t get past Norths pick if Ash is gone.

Interesting...he interests me a lot...looks like he can read the play, has reasonable speed on what looks like an already mature body, strong mark, good decision maker and can kick...wouldn't be unhappy with that to be honest

I'm a big fan. He reads the play so well, and isn't afraid to take the game on. He can burst through a pack at full speed and still hit up a 50m target. Yet I still get this feeling he goes later than he should, somewhere in the 10-18 range. Which would be a huge addition for any side already playing finals. If I was Brisbane, I'd be trading up to make sure I get him.

There's no doubt Fremantle need good kicks, my only slight issues are needs and the fact we should be adding those skills to the midfield and half forward line. He'd be a massive upgrade on Hughes, but with a healthy Pearce and Ryan alongside Hamling, it would probably be Logue who makes way for Gould.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back