Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ll get 5. Saints fans want something back, Freo fans want more on top of 5. Freo have leaked that 5 will be required or he stays

We’ll have 5, it’s a question of what comes with it or goes back

You would probably lose your second and maybe get a fourth back or something along those lines.

Pick 5 - Young
Pick 6 - Stephens
Henry

Stephens to replace Hill long term.
Young, massively improve your kicking skills
Henry - kicking skills and small forward ability.

Not a bad haul to improve your list. You would really hope that Brayshaw and Cerra can transition into the midfield.

We’ll get 5. Saints fans want something back, Freo fans want more on top of 5. Freo have leaked that 5 will be required or he stays

We’ll have 5, it’s a question of what comes with it or goes back
As a neutral, I don't see Hill being worth pick 5 without something coming back to the Saints. Possibly something like Pick 5 and 2020 1st Round Pick for Brad Hill and 2020 Second Round Pick (just speculating)

You would probably lose your second and maybe get a fourth back or something along those lines.

Pick 5 - Young
Pick 6 - Stephens
Henry

Not a bad haul to improve your list. You would really hope that Brayshaw and Cerra can transition into the midfield.
Plus, if rumours are true, they may cash in on Blakely and get another decent pick.

Pick 5 - Young
Pick 6 - Stephens
Henry

Disagree on the bolded given the money offered and contract status but we'll see.

I'm 100% on the Stephens train and he has to be our priority for me. He is everything we need.

As a neutral, I don't see Hill being worth pick 5 without something coming back to the Saints. Possibly something like Pick 5 and 2020 1st Round Pick for Brad Hill and 2020 Second Round Pick (just speculating)
That's worse for St Kilda than just Hill for 5.

Anyhow, it's hard for clubs to argue players aren't worth much in trade when they're offering silly money at the same time.

Bit late and I know a few others have mentioned the GF stats, but...

League
Luke Partington - 23 touches, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 1 goal
Will Gould - 18 touches, 4 marks, 8 rebound 50s
Brad Close - 17 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal

Reserves
Dylan Stephens - 26 touches, 5 tackles, 5 clearances
Cameron Taheny - 8 touches, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 goals
Harry Schoenberg - 20 touches, 6 tackles, 6 clearances
Lachlan McNeil - 19 touches, 5 inside 50s, 1 goal
Jackson Mead - 14 touches, 4 clearances, 1 goal
Jamie Coff - 12 touches, 6 marks, 7 hitouts, 1 goal
Kysaiah Pickett - 6 touches, 5 tackles, 2 goals

U18s
Luke Beecken - 12 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal
Ben Jungfer - 12 touches, 4 tackles, 1 goal
Josh Morris - 9 touches, 4 marks, 3 goals, 2 behinds
Damon Freitag - 11 touches, 36 hitouts

There was a bit of quiet hype around Josh Morris early - what do you make of his season and draft prospects?

There was a lot of hype for him off one game really, looking impressive in the SA trial match. Pre Champs I had him as one to watch, but questioned how he would go with the step up in competition simply because he came from a fair way back this year. He has talent though and flashed some of his potential. I think he'll still come into the draft mix from the third round on.

Hi Chris any gut feeling where the pick for Henry comes in?

We'll still have to wait and see how the picks look after the trade period, but gut feel would be in the 12-15 range. But that could definitely change. If Essendon get two top 10 picks for Daniher, then maybe that second one could go towards a bid on Henry. There's nobody else like Henry at the top of this draft, so a team could easily go early on him.

I'm expecting 3 first round bids at the moment - Green (3-5), Henry (12-15) and Maginness (15-20) who I still think is the most underrated player in the draft.

We'll still have to wait and see how the picks look after the trade period, but gut feel would be in the 12-15 range. But that could definitely change. If Essendon get two top 10 picks for Daniher, then maybe that second one could go towards a bid on Henry. There's nobody else like Henry at the top of this draft, so a team could easily go early on him.

I'm expecting 3 first round bids at the moment - Green (3-5), Henry (12-15) and Maginness (15-20) who I still think is the most underrated player in the draft.
I reckon you’ll be proven right on Maginness, his speed test from today will help.

I reckon you’ll be proven right on Maginness, his speed test from today will help.

I've had him top 10 since the lead in to the Championships, and that hasn't changed. I like players who improve in their draft year, especially ones who improve significantly. And Finn has done just that. If we're talking inside midfielders, he's my #3 in the draft after Rowell and Green. Plus he has the ability to go forward too.

His testing only solidifies that rating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had him top 10 since the lead in to the Championships, and that hasn't changed. I like players who improve in their draft year, especially ones who improve significantly. And Finn has done just that. If we're talking inside midfielders, he's my #3 in the draft after Rowell and Green. Plus he has the ability to go forward too.

His testing only solidifies that rating.
Yah, I reckon he’ll be one of those that magically moves up rankings prior to draft night, despite not playing any more footy

Cheers for all the info!

Who are the best handful of outside mids this year? Seems the year for this type but such disparity in how some are rated.

One for next year, any info on Lachlan Jones in Port’s NGA?

Top 2 for me are Noah Anderson and Dylan Stephens, they can play both roles but I suspect will be about 60% or so outside. Then it depends on whether you consider the likes of Hayden Young and Lachie Ash to be midfielders or not. I personally don't.

I like Liam Henry in the first round, second round the likes of Darcy Cassar, Mitch O'Neill and Miles Bergman. Cody Weightman, Jeremy Sharp and Will Day could be in the 15-20 mix and develop on a wing too. And then guys like Jay Rantall, Callum Park, Josh Shute in the later second/third round.

Lachlan Jones had a good consistent season in the back line for Woodville. Strong kid, played his position well. I think he'll settle into a medium defender role, especially at the Champs next year. May move more into the midfield at SANFL level, depends if he plays U18 or reserves.

Top 2 for me are Noah Anderson and Dylan Stephens, they can play both roles but I suspect will be about 60% or so outside. Then it depends on whether you consider the likes of Hayden Young and Lachie Ash to be midfielders or not. I personally don't.

I like Liam Henry in the first round, second round the likes of Darcy Cassar, Mitch O'Neill and Miles Bergman. Cody Weightman, Jeremy Sharp and Will Day could be in the 15-20 mix and develop on a wing too. And then guys like Jay Rantall, Callum Park, Josh Shute in the later second/third round.

Lachlan Jones had a good consistent season in the back line for Woodville. Strong kid, played his position well. I think he'll settle into a medium defender role, especially at the Champs next year. May move more into the midfield at SANFL level, depends if he plays U18 or reserves.
With respect I beg to differ on Jay Rantall, no way is he an "outside" midfielder, some of his best work is done inside the contest where his elite hands are amongst the best in this draft. He is by definition very much an inside/outside mid with the added capability of hitting the scoreboard on a regular basis.

With respect I beg to differ on Jay Rantall, no way is he an "outside" midfielder, some of his best work is done inside the contest where his elite hands are amongst the best in this draft. He is by definition very much an inside/outside mid with the added capability of hitting the scoreboard on a regular basis.

Realistically, most of the midfielders in the top 50 mix are multi dimensional. They'll be drafted because they're better than their peers, and talent means you can play any position in junior football and be successful. And he's easily the most talented midfielder on a not hugely talented NAB League team.

If I had to guess, I'd say whoever drafts him will use his running ability to develop him on a wing. And that contested ability will him in good stead in the modern game. But no, he isn't an outside midfielder only at the moment.

Would have to improve his kicking massively to have any type of effect as an outside player, would think his clean and creative hands would lend him to be either an inside mid or even a forward as he doesn’t mind a goal.

Would have to improve his kicking massively to have any type of effect as an outside player, would think his clean and creative hands would lend him to be either an inside mid or even a forward as he doesn’t mind a goal.

He'd have to improve his kicking either way. But there wouldn't be too many worse kicks than Ed Langdon, and he's done pretty well for himself as an outside mid. Any decent wing these days gets involved in the contested stuff anyway.

Hi Chris

What are your thoughts on Ben jungfer

I quite like Ben Jungfer. I picked him in the BigFooty draft a couple of months ago with my last pick. I think he shows a bit of potential as an inside midfielder. He isn't a big ball winner, but he positions himself well and has shown some natural ability in close. Also moves well for the position. I thought he was unlucky to not play more for the Allies, they were crying out for a bigger body in the middle to take some pressure off Tom Green. And when he got his chance, he played pretty well. I think he's a perfect rookie list option, develop him over a couple of years and he could be a solid role player.

I've also been a fan of Kieren Parnell for the last couple of seasons. I think he's one of the most talented players to come through the NT in recent years, just had a rough run with injury. He'd be the first player I list if I was the Gold Coast.

I quite like Ben Jungfer. I picked him in the BigFooty draft a couple of months ago with my last pick. I think he shows a bit of potential as an inside midfielder. He isn't a big ball winner, but he positions himself well and has shown some natural ability in close. Also moves well for the position. I thought he was unlucky to not play more for the Allies, they were crying out for a bigger body in the middle to take some pressure off Tom Green. And when he got his chance, he played pretty well. I think he's a perfect rookie list option, develop him over a couple of years and he could be a solid role player.

I've also been a fan of Kieren Parnell for the last couple of seasons. I think he's one of the most talented players to come through the NT in recent years, just had a rough run with injury. He'd be the first player I list if I was the Gold Coast.
What position does Parnell play

What position does Parnell play

Played a bit of everywhere, midfield and forward at first. But settled into a defensive role now and has looked pretty good when I've seen him. Very good intercept player and an excellent kick, versatile at 188cm.

Is he any worse than Mitch Robinson playing on the wing for Brisbane?

If young Tom Berry doesn’t end up on a wing for us, Rantall 100% suits Fagan’s idea of a wing in our game style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back