Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more game to go for SA. I think injuries have hurt them this year, not many but to players I feel would have been key to their game plan. Riley Thilthorpe would no doubt have led the ruck, and we saw on Friday how at important moments Country were able to kick goals from quick centre clearances. While I suspect Taj Schofield and Trent Burgoyne would have been used as outside midfielders, without them the SA midfield is quite one paced.

I also think Anzac Lochowiak was pretty unlucky not to get a chance. In reserves football this year, he's averaged 15 touches and 8 tackles a game - including 21 tackles in his last two games. Perhaps a bit underwhelming at school football, but his pressure would have been welcome in the forward half. From the reserves game yesterday...

Anzac Lochowiak - 12 touches, 12 tackles, 3 clearances, 1 goal
Oliver Grivell - 17 touches, 4 marks, 6 rebound 50s

Can't understand why Grivell was dropped from the squad either. Even if they felt they were too tall in the back half, Grivell likely would have been a more productive forward option than Sladojevic, Freitag and Morris.

Final game is against the Allies on Wednesday. Kysaiah Pickett will definitely come in, I suspect for either Brady Searle or Declan Carmody. Jordan Moore might get another game since he travelled over there, but I'm not sure for who.

Almost that time of the year when I turn this into an Australia wide draft thread. Probably do that on the weekend, put up my top 50 overall. But until then, one last look at how the SA kids are faring leading into tomorrow's game...

SA Big Board

1. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from Norwood) - draft range 4 to 10
I wouldn't say Stephens has quite been at his best consistently over the Championships, but I think he's done enough to cement himself as one of the top line midfielders in this draft - and arguably the best outside midfielder available. Teams will value his running ability and foot skills highly, with the view to start him on a wing and move inside over time.

2. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from Glenelg) - draft range 8 to 18
I have no doubts at all that Gould will be a good player and for a long time - if anyone from this draft is going to become a 200 game player and captain, it'll be him. He could slot in at half back in any team now and do well. And he's made for taking the kick outs, nobody in the draft is a better kick over 50m. It's impossible not to like the way he plays. I have a feeling he may slip into the middle of the first round, which would be crazy good value for a finals team. Gold Coast should find a way to get him though, even if it means trading Jack Martin.

3. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from Norwood) - draft range 15 to 40
He's been hampered by injury at the Championships, and it could well hurt his draft stocks. His best is top 3 in the draft though, few have his pure talent or ability in the forward half. Performances at league level in the SANFL have been excellent, with 11 goals from his first 3 games - get back to 100% and play like that again, and he still looks a first round pick. Plays the DeGoey type forward role from the goal square, he's a difficult match up. Still developing a midfield game though.

4. Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 20 to 50
As solid a defender as you'll find. He's an elite intercept mark for a junior, he's got strong hands and reads the play well. When SA kick long after a behind, it's often to Finlay in a contest. Bit of Tom Clurey in the way he plays, unassuming but you just know he'll win his battle more often than not.

5. Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from Woodville) - draft range 12 to 25
Just a good player who does everything well. Doesn't necessarily have any one elite trait, but he's versatile and consistent. Thought his game against Country was by far his best and most influential, the earlier rounds he was good without standing out. Smart player in close, probably starts across half forward for the first couple of years. Has been on the verge of playing seniors in the SANFL, hopefully that will come soon.

6. Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 20 to 50
I find it hard to separate Finlay and Hilder as prospects, and they even play similar games. Also a strong intercept mark, Hilder has even more ideal size and has league experience in the SANFL. And for someone his size, he's surprisingly good with ball in hands and rebounds strongly.

7. Will Day (187cm, 70kg from West Adelaide) - draft range 25 to 40
Plenty of people in SA were excited about Day heading into the Championships, and he's certainly delivered and caught the attention of many more people. One of SA's best and most consistent players across the first three weeks, would be close to AA selection. I've always talked about how highly I rate skinny kids who can mark, it shows natural talent and the ability to read the play. Tested very well for speed, endurance and leap earlier this year too. I know others talk about his potential as an outside midfielder, but he's a half back for me.

8. Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from Woodville) - draft range 20 to 50
Hasn't quite had the Championships that he would have liked so far, but he still finds a way to get onto the highlight reel each week. In terms of pure talent, he's as good as any small forward from the last few years. He's a high flyer, but still does the Pickett name proud with the way he hits. Always impossible to know where small forwards will be taken.

9. Harry Schoenberg (180cm, 78kg from Woodville) - draft range 25 to 50
On the flipside, Schoenberg has definitely had the Championships he would have liked. SA's most consistent midfielder, he just keeps racking up the touches - and it's exactly what he does in the SANFL too. He's not a bullocking inside type, but he's smart and positions himself well to get first touch. He's a one touch player and has nice hands in close. Kicking is clean and he generally makes good decisions. I feel clubs will consider him to have a lower ceiling than others, doesn't have ideal size for his role and doesn't have the overall hurt factor to move outside. Definitely a role for him though and recent draft history suggests his type goes second/third round.

10. Joshua Shute (187cm, 73kg from Sturt) - draft range 40 to 70
Flying under the radar a little, I think Shute has had a sneaky good Championships and is firming as a mid round raft pick. He's the type of player that scouts and recruiters will like. Nice size at 187cm, he's a good kick and has strong hands overhead. Offers the versatility to play wing, half back or half forward.

11. Jed McEntee (177cm, 74kg from Sturt) - draft range 40+
12. Oliver Grivell (191cm, 86kg from Sturt) - draft range 40+
13. Harrison Magor (183cm, 83kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 50+
14. Josh Morris (186cm, 76kg from Woodville) - draft range 50+
15. Callum Park (188cm, 67kg from Glenelg) - draft range 60+

Probably the more likely of the rest of the kids to have their names called. Grivell is a good overhead mark for a third tall at either end, Morris has potential as a forward and is a proven goal kicker in the SANFL U18s. McEntee would be a certainty if he were 5cm taller, but I think he's still good enough. Magor has the versatility to play as a ball winning midfielder or in the back half. While Park has shown promise as a skinny outside midfielder/flanker.

Almost that time of the year when I turn this into an Australia wide draft thread. Probably do that on the weekend, put up my top 50 overall. But until then, one last look at how the SA kids are faring leading into tomorrow's game...

SA Big Board

1. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from Norwood) - draft range 4 to 10
I wouldn't say Stephens has quite been at his best consistently over the Championships, but I think he's done enough to cement himself as one of the top line midfielders in this draft - and arguably the best outside midfielder available. Teams will value his running ability and foot skills highly, with the view to start him on a wing and move inside over time.

2. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from Glenelg) - draft range 8 to 18
I have no doubts at all that Gould will be a good player and for a long time - if anyone from this draft is going to become a 200 game player and captain, it'll be him. He could slot in at half back in any team now and do well. And he's made for taking the kick outs, nobody in the draft is a better kick over 50m. It's impossible not to like the way he plays. I have a feeling he may slip into the middle of the first round, which would be crazy good value for a finals team. Gold Coast should find a way to get him though, even if it means trading Jack Martin.

3. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from Norwood) - draft range 15 to 40
He's been hampered by injury at the Championships, and it could well hurt his draft stocks. His best is top 3 in the draft though, few have his pure talent or ability in the forward half. Performances at league level in the SANFL have been excellent, with 11 goals from his first 3 games - get back to 100% and play like that again, and he still looks a first round pick. Plays the DeGoey type forward role from the goal square, he's a difficult match up. Still developing a midfield game though.

4. Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 20 to 50
As solid a defender as you'll find. He's an elite intercept mark for a junior, he's got strong hands and reads the play well. When SA kick long after a behind, it's often to Finlay in a contest. Bit of Tom Clurey in the way he plays, unassuming but you just know he'll win his battle more often than not.

5. Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from Woodville) - draft range 12 to 25
Just a good player who does everything well. Doesn't necessarily have any one elite trait, but he's versatile and consistent. Thought his game against Country was by far his best and most influential, the earlier rounds he was good without standing out. Smart player in close, probably starts across half forward for the first couple of years. Has been on the verge of playing seniors in the SANFL, hopefully that will come soon.

6. Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 20 to 50
I find it hard to separate Finlay and Hilder as prospects, and they even play similar games. Also a strong intercept mark, Hilder has even more ideal size and has league experience in the SANFL. And for someone his size, he's surprisingly good with ball in hands and rebounds strongly.

7. Will Day (187cm, 70kg from West Adelaide) - draft range 25 to 40
Plenty of people in SA were excited about Day heading into the Championships, and he's certainly delivered and caught the attention of many more people. One of SA's best and most consistent players across the first three weeks, would be close to AA selection. I've always talked about how highly I rate skinny kids who can mark, it shows natural talent and the ability to read the play. Tested very well for speed, endurance and leap earlier this year too. I know others talk about his potential as an outside midfielder, but he's a half back for me.

8. Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from Woodville) - draft range 20 to 50
Hasn't quite had the Championships that he would have liked so far, but he still finds a way to get onto the highlight reel each week. In terms of pure talent, he's as good as any small forward from the last few years. He's a high flyer, but still does the Pickett name proud with the way he hits. Always impossible to know where small forwards will be taken.

9. Harry Schoenberg (180cm, 78kg from Woodville) - draft range 25 to 50
On the flipside, Schoenberg has definitely had the Championships he would have liked. SA's most consistent midfielder, he just keeps racking up the touches - and it's exactly what he does in the SANFL too. He's not a bullocking inside type, but he's smart and positions himself well to get first touch. He's a one touch player and has nice hands in close. Kicking is clean and he generally makes good decisions. I feel clubs will consider him to have a lower ceiling than others, doesn't have ideal size for his role and doesn't have the overall hurt factor to move outside. Definitely a role for him though and recent draft history suggests his type goes second/third round.

10. Joshua Shute (187cm, 73kg from Sturt) - draft range 40 to 70
Flying under the radar a little, I think Shute has had a sneaky good Championships and is firming as a mid round raft pick. He's the type of player that scouts and recruiters will like. Nice size at 187cm, he's a good kick and has strong hands overhead. Offers the versatility to play wing, half back or half forward.

11. Jed McEntee (177cm, 74kg from Sturt) - draft range 40+
12. Oliver Grivell (191cm, 86kg from Sturt) - draft range 40+
13. Harrison Magor (183cm, 83kg from North Adelaide) - draft range 50+
14. Josh Morris (186cm, 76kg from Woodville) - draft range 50+
15. Callum Park (188cm, 67kg from Glenelg) - draft range 60+

Probably the more likely of the rest of the kids to have their names called. Grivell is a good overhead mark for a third tall at either end, Morris has potential as a forward and is a proven goal kicker in the SANFL U18s. McEntee would be a certainty if he were 5cm taller, but I think he's still good enough. Magor has the versatility to play as a ball winning midfielder or in the back half. While Park has shown promise as a skinny outside midfielder/flanker.

I think Stephens inside ability is being underrated by many thanks to him playing sanfl. When he’s played against his own age group in sa his clearance numbers are absurd. The eye test in champs backed this up imo. Had lots of very nearly pulled off contested work that I reckon would have come off with a few extra kgs.

I’m massive on finlay. Just think you can’t teach the attack on the ball he had. Some team with multiple picks and a need for defenders should pounce mid draft on hilder and finlay and pair them together. Will be a bargain buy.

Schoenberg around packs visually reminds me of a bee in a garden. Just blitzes around contests.

I think meads kicking is an elite trait. Absolutely one of my favourite kicks with ability to weight kicks. Above average speed in decision making. I have lots of negatives I don’t like about mead though that people are tired of hearing about.

I think Stephens inside ability is being underrated by many thanks to him playing sanfl. When he’s played against his own age group in sa his clearance numbers are absurd. The eye test in champs backed this up imo. Had lots of very nearly pulled off contested work that I reckon would have come off with a few extra kgs.

I’m massive on finlay. Just think you can’t teach the attack on the ball he had. Some team with multiple picks and a need for defenders should pounce mid draft on hilder and finlay and pair them together. Will be a bargain buy.

Schoenberg around packs visually reminds me of a bee in a garden. Just blitzes around contests.

I think meads kicking is an elite trait. Absolutely one of my favourite kicks with ability to weight kicks. Above average speed in decision making. I have lots of negatives I don’t like about mead though that people are tired of hearing about.
The allies have changed to a smaller skilled forward line , how do you think SAs defence will line up tomorrow night ie match ups

This is the Allies, SA yet to be published

ALLIES
B:21. Luke Parks52. Dirk Koenen8. Tom Griffiths
Sydney AcademyGold Coast AcademyBrisbane Academy
HB:46. Noah Cumberland26. Liam Delahunty36. Sam Thorne
Brisbane AcademyGWS AcademySydney Academy
C:15. Will Martyn3. Connor Budarick9. Mitch O’Neill
Brisbane AcademyGold Coast AcademyTasmania Devils
HF:2. Hewago Paul Oea37. Joshua Gore5. Braeden Campbell
Gold Coast AcademyGold Coast AcademySydney Academy
F:32. Jake Steele47. Jeromy Lucas31. Hamish Ellem
Tasmania DevilsGWS AcademySydney Academy
R:54. Ben Kelly22. Tom Green16. Ben Jungfer
Murray BushrangersGWS AcademyNorthern Territory
Int (from):
24. Joel Jeffrey20. Matt McGrory1. Errol Gulden
Northern TerritoryGWS AcademySydney Academy
4. Malcolm Rosas jnr12. Ashton Crossley42. James Peatling
Northern TerritoryGold Coast Academy

The allies have changed to a smaller skilled forward line , how do you think SAs defence will line up tomorrow night ie match ups

This is the Allies, SA yet to be published

ALLIES
B:21. Luke Parks52. Dirk Koenen8. Tom Griffiths
Sydney AcademyGold Coast AcademyBrisbane Academy
HB:46. Noah Cumberland26. Liam Delahunty36. Sam Thorne
Brisbane AcademyGWS AcademySydney Academy
C:15. Will Martyn3. Connor Budarick9. Mitch O’Neill
Brisbane AcademyGold Coast AcademyTasmania Devils
HF:2. Hewago Paul Oea37. Joshua Gore5. Braeden Campbell
Gold Coast AcademyGold Coast AcademySydney Academy
F:32. Jake Steele47. Jeromy Lucas31. Hamish Ellem
Tasmania DevilsGWS AcademySydney Academy
R:54. Ben Kelly22. Tom Green16. Ben Jungfer
Murray BushrangersGWS AcademyNorthern Territory
Int (from):
24. Joel Jeffrey20. Matt McGrory1. Errol Gulden
Northern TerritoryGWS AcademySydney Academy
4. Malcolm Rosas jnr12. Ashton Crossley42. James Peatling
Northern TerritoryGold Coast Academy

I love sa’s backline. It’s packed full of draftable players.

How they will function as a unit against another team I don’t know exactly. I pay less attention to that and not much attention to allies forward line other than the obvious stuff like Rosas torching people who let him get goalside

Ask Chris25.

I tend to pick a few players and watch them really closely when I watch these games.

SA will just play their usual defenders. Back the talls in to intercept mark and not let it hit the ground. Magor might play as a defender again too, alongside O’Brien, Edwards and Day.

If the Allies do go short, maybe Gould gets some midfield time. Probably just means Moore won’t get a game though.

Still haven't had a chance to watch the last game yet, but four named to the AA side is nice. Thought Finlay and Day were particularly unlucky though. Kevin Sheehan's comments about the four players were pretty accurate for me...

Will Gould (South Australia): Medium defender who lead his state very well and showed he is a very composed player under pressure. Strong in his attack on the ball and a good user by hand and foot he provided consistent rebound for his team throughout the championships and is now a back to back All Australian at Under 18s level. Averaged 21.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 7.2 rebound 50s.

Jackson Mead (South Australia): Medium forward/midfielder who is strong and hard in the contest and courageous in his attack on the ball. Good overhead for his size and an excellent decision maker with the ball in hand, he is a prolific ball winner who averaged 21.2 disposals and 3 clearances and 5 tackles across the championships.

Harry Schoenberg (South Australia): Medium midfielder who wins the ball exceptionally well in traffic and is very creative particularly by hand, using his elite decision making and vision to great effect. Prolific ball winner for South Australia averaging 27 disposals, 4.8 tackles and 5.8 clearances to win his team’s MVP award.

Dylan Stephens (South Australia): Medium midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and creative user of the ball by hand and foot. Played on the wing and at times on the inside in the centre of the ground where he set up many forward moves for his team. A penetrating left footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals, 2.8 clearances and 4.2 tackles across the championships.

The thread will still have an SA feel to it, but I'll open it up to the whole draft pool now....

Big Board (July)
1. Matthew Rowell (178cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
2. Noah Anderson (188cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
3. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)
4. Hayden Young (188cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
5. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from SA)
6. Tom Green (188cm, 85kg from NSW/ACT)
7. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from SA)
8. Lachlan Ash (186cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
9. Finn Maginness (187cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
10. Brodie Kemp (192cm, 82kg from Vic Country)

11. Caleb Serong (178cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
12. Luke Jackson (198cm, 94kg from WA)
13. Josh Worrell (195cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
14. Liam Henry (179cm, 67kg from WA)
15. Sam Flanders (182cm, 81kg from Vic Country)
16. Deven Robertson (182cm, 80kg from WA)
17. Fischer McAsey (195cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
18. Mitch O’Neill (181cm, 70kg from Tasmania)
19. Elijah Taylor (185cm, 75kg from WA)
20. Cooper Stephens (188cm, 83kg from Vic Country)

21. Jeremy Sharp (187cm, 79kg from WA)
22. Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from SA)
23. Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from SA)
24. Will Day (187cm, 70kg from SA)
25. Trent Rivers (188cm, 85kg from WA)
26. Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from SA)
27. Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from SA)
28. Cody Weightman (177cm, 73kg from Vic Country)
29. Dylan Williams (185cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
30. Darcy Cassar (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)

31. Miles Bergman (186cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
32. Harry Schoenberg (180cm, 78kg from SA)
33. Harrison Jones (194cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
34. Trent Bianco (178cm, 70kg from Vic Metro)
35. Nick Bryan (202cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
36. Thomson Dow (183cm, 72kg from Vic Country)
37. Connor Budarick (175cm, 72kg from Gold Coast)
38. Sam DeKoning (200cm, 85kg from Vic Country)
39. Jarvis Pina (176cm, 71kg from WA)
40. Jed McEntee (177cm, 74kg from SA)

41. Trey Ruscoe (190cm, 90kg from WA)
42. Jay Rantall (184cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
43. Joshua Shute (187cm, 73kg from SA)
44. Keidean Coleman (181cm, 73kg from Brisbane)
45. Malcolm Rosas Jnr (175cm, 70kg from NT)
46. Jack Mahony (176cm, 70kg from Vic Metro)
47. Harrison Magor (183cm, 83kg from SA)
48. Charlie Dean (194cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
49. Liam Delahunty (192cm, 90kg from NSW/ACT)
50. Louis Butler (183cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)

My general thoughts are the draft is okay, not great.

I think Rowell and Anderson would be in the first few picked in any draft, but I like the top 10 from 2018 more than this year. A lot of the best players this season are flankers or small midfielders. And the key forwards are the weakest for quite some time. That always hurts a draft pool. Once I got past 30, it really opened up and I was struggling to fill out the top 50.

Last edited:
2019 Big Board (July)

3. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)
5. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from SA)

Do you feel this is a slight SA bias and attempting to push their cases as being better than others think?

Just seems like some big calls to make on those two players. Stephens, is rather small and there are question marks on his damage, kicking on his right and inside ability.

Taheny - Walked around the champs not looking the best, so I guess you're basing it on his SANFL output not what he showed at the Champs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you feel this is a slight SA bias and attempting to push their cases as being better than others think?

Just seems like some big calls to make on those two players. Stephens, is rather small and there are question marks on his damage, kicking on his right and inside ability.

Taheny - Walked around the champs not looking the best, so I guess you're basing it on his SANFL output not what he showed at the Champs.
Wasnt Taheny carrying a knee injury?

I'm sure I always have an SA bias, but I don't think it's hugely at play with those two.

For me, Stephens is the best running midfielder in the draft. I think he'll be much higher rated by clubs than those on here, Twomey has talked about him consistently in the 5-10 range. Don't think it's too big a call to have him ahead of some rebounding defenders and small half forwards. I have no question marks over his inside ability, if anything I think it's good for his size and better than he gets credit for. And this whole too left sided thing is a bit silly for me, I assume people just heard the commentators say it a few times in the third match. The majority of AFL players can't kick off the opposite foot.

As for Taheny, what he's done at SANFL level over his career is worthy of being listed that early. It's like how some people still have Dylan Williams in the top 5.

I love Stephens and believe he will be a gun. Look up his stats when he’s played against his own age group in Sa. They’re dominant.

I like Chris’s rating of finlay too. 1-3 years after the draft he probably won’t be high on many re-draft lists but end of career it’s easy to see him having been a very good 200game player. I love his attack on the ball.

I love Stephens and believe he will be a gun. Look up his stats when he’s played against his own age group in Sa. They’re dominant.

I like Chris’s rating of finlay too. 1-3 years after the draft he probably won’t be high on many re-draft lists but end of career it’s easy to see him having been a very good 200game player. I love his attack on the ball.

My comparison for Finlay is Tom Clurey. It might take a few years for anyone outside of the club to know his name, but he'll be a very solid and important player.

Those re-draft lists are always midfield lists for the first 5 years, very hard for a tall to prove their worth in the first 5 years.

Finlay does have nice elements, I like a number of those taller defenders this year, but I wish there were some solid forwards to judge their ability.

For me, Stephens is the best running midfielder in the draft.

Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Serong, Robertson...
I am not completely sure what the difference between a running midfielder and a non running midfielder?

Sharp?
Bianco
Kemp
Ash, Young - I think those two have midfield potential.
Rivers - Another potential midfielder
Henry - That game against SA really showed to me he is a gun midfielder to go with his forward craft.

I think there are many midfield options that are currently showing ability either in defense or forward.

Imagine Young or Ash running along the wing compared to Stephens?

Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Serong, Robertson...
I am not completely sure what the difference between a running midfielder and a non running midfielder?

Sharp?
Bianco
Kemp
Ash, Young - I think those two have midfield potential.
Rivers - Another potential midfielder
Henry - That game against SA really showed to me he is a gun midfielder to go with his forward craft.

I think there are many midfield options that are currently showing ability either in defense or forward.

Imagine Young or Ash running along the wing compared to Stephens?

I prefer Stephens to all of them. Except obviously Rowell and Anderson, but I view them as different types of midfielders.

Flanders and Serong look like good half forwards/midfielders to me, Henry too. I think Ash and Young are developed primarily as defenders, while I'm not as high on Rivers and his midfield potential as others. Who knows what Sharp becomes. And I'm just not that big on Bianco.

Stephens has them covered on midfield performances to date, and I think has the most inside/outside potential going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back