Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely phantom draft season now, so where might the SA players go? My ranges are looking a bit like this at the moment...

Dylan Stephens - 6 to 12
Will Day - 15 to 25
Will Gould - 18 to 30
Jackson Mead - 25 to 40
Harry Schoenberg - 25 to 50
Cameron Taheny - 30 to 50
Kysaiah Pickett - 40 to 60
Dyson Hilder - 40 to 70
Karl Finlay - 40 to 70
Josh Shute - 40 to 70
Josh Morris - 40 to rookie
Callum Park - 50 to rookie

And of those invited to the state screening, I think Harrison Magor is probably most likely to go late in the national draft.

Do you know how Harry Schoenberg tested at the combine? Seems 25-50 is a bit late given the year he had. Could be a Zac Bailey type bolter?

Can you see Lachlan Hoile finding a spot late on a rookie list? Coming off a collarbone injury still tested at the combine, and by the looks of the results were no where near as good as he got earlier in the year at the SANFL testing day. I feel there Is a lot of potential and in a professional environment he could turn into something really good.
Whats everyone's thoughts?

Hard to line up. Good without being dominant. Certainly something about him. He looks a smooth mover and left footers always look slightly better. Probably didn't get to see enough of him against better talent to get a great assessment. Who knows but might just miss out. Beauty is that these days he can come back and have a big over age year and still be right in the mix if he does miss out.

Pouring over draft profiles, what's Daniel Sladojevic like and could his skill set transition to the top level? Sounds like he was a highly touted 16 - year old but was caught up by others his same age rather quickly. Looked at his SANFL 18's stats and he still put together a reasonable season. 38 in 10 games.

Hi again Chris, just on Gould...I'm quite surprised with how so many have had him drifting out to be late first and into second round (based it seems on his build and testing).

I was sceptical at first when you had him in the top ten earlier but must say after studying him more closely in the games, listening to his interview, and basically matching him one for one against each rank player, I still think he is in the top ten talent wise. I note too he is quick by hand, reads the play well, astute and certainly moves and reacts fast when he needs too.

Where do you have him on 'talent' and likely draft (is it still 18-30?)

Do you know how Harry Schoenberg tested at the combine? Seems 25-50 is a bit late given the year he had. Could be a Zac Bailey type bolter?

I don't have his testing numbers on me, but athletic testing isn't really his strong suit. He's a footballer. Perhaps a 25-40 range would have been fairer on him, but I wouldn't personally be taking him in the first round. I'm not sure he has the ceiling that clubs would like from a first rounder, he does everything well without having a standout element to his game - and sometimes that's what an inside mid needs to set them apart.

I think he'll prove to be a good value mid to late second rounder.

Pouring over draft profiles, what's Daniel Sladojevic like and could his skill set transition to the top level? Sounds like he was a highly touted 16 - year old but was caught up by others his same age rather quickly. Looked at his SANFL 18's stats and he still put together a reasonable season. 38 in 10 games.

Came into the season with some expectations on him, but I doubt did enough to get drafted. The SA team was crying out for a semi decent key forward at the Champs and he couldn't nail it down. Kicked a lot of goals in the U18s for South but at his height he needed some bigger performances when it counted. No guarantee Adelaide will even list him as a Cat B rookie, I'd take a free hit on him though.

Hi again Chris, just on Gould...I'm quite surprised with how so many have had him drifting out to be late first and into second round (based it seems on his build and testing).

I was sceptical at first when you had him in the top ten earlier but must say after studying him more closely in the games, listening to his interview, and basically matching him one for one against each rank player, I still think he is in the top ten talent wise. I note too he is quick by hand, reads the play well, astute and certainly moves and reacts fast when he needs too.

Where do you have him on 'talent' and likely draft (is it still 18-30?)

I still have him at #6 on my big board. That hasn't changed during the season.

But I also still think he goes in the 18-30 range, maybe closer to 18-25 - wouldn't surprise to see someone trade up to get him at the top of the second round, perhaps a finals bound team if they overlook him in the first round. He isn't a player that will suit every team, how he's rated will depend on game style more than a lot of other draft prospects. But he ticks so many boxes for me and based off his performances so far, I just can't see how he won't be successful.

I think he'd be a perfect fit for Brisbane, I've always said they should take him. And for leadership and his aggressive style, Gold Coast should be looking very closely too.

But I also still think he goes in the 18-30 range, maybe closer to 18-25 - wouldn't surprise to see someone trade up to get him at the top of the second round, perhaps a finals bound team if they overlook him in the first round. He isn't a player that will suit every team, how he's rated will depend on game style more than a lot of other draft prospects. But he ticks so many boxes for me and based off his performances so far, I just can't see how he won't be successful.

I think he'd be a perfect fit for Brisbane, I've always said they should take him. And for leadership and his aggressive style, Gold Coast should be looking very closely too.
I’d take him at our first pick. It would take one of the top 12 prospects (Kemp) sliding for me to overlook Gould.

But I can see Brisbane drafting Rivers if he’s still available at our first pick.

It's definitely phantom draft season now, so where might the SA players go? My ranges are looking a bit like this at the moment...

Dylan Stephens - 6 to 12
Will Day - 15 to 25
Will Gould - 18 to 30
Jackson Mead - 25 to 40
Harry Schoenberg - 25 to 50
Cameron Taheny - 30 to 50
Kysaiah Pickett - 40 to 60
Dyson Hilder - 40 to 70
Karl Finlay - 40 to 70
Josh Shute - 40 to 70
Josh Morris - 40 to rookie
Callum Park - 50 to rookie

And of those invited to the state screening, I think Harrison Magor is probably most likely to go late in the national draft.

Been three weeks since this, so what's changed? Not much really.

Kysaiah Pickett looks to be the big mover, with there being genuine talk of him going in the teens. I'm fully onboard with that - if Weightman is a chance to go top 10, then Pickett has to be a first rounder. You can't teach the talent that he has. I just assumed that clubs would discount him as a small forward, but it seems like they might finally be realising that small forwards can win games.

Otherwise I still think the Gould and Taheny ranges are pretty accurate. The only ones I'd change...

Dylan Stephens - 4 to 12
Kysaiah Pickett - 12 to 25
Karl Finlay - 30 to 50

Would be perfect Scott Thompson replacement for North.

Chris, I recently read eDPS refer to this draft as "stupidly even", and have seen others offer that sentiment, especially after the top echelon. I would love to hear your opinion on how that may effect clubs decisions on draft day, and asked him the following;

With your description of the draft as "stupidly even", how will that impact clubs decisions? Can we expect any of the following;
  • a greater focus on needs being key factors
  • a greater focus for WA and SA clubs preferring local players
  • any preferences from the development clubs
  • a reduced likelihood of clubs to bid on NGA or F/S options
  • a greater focus on players who will impact early
  • a reduction in "project" players
What are your thoughts?

I think it's even in that draft boards will be very different after the top 20.

Maybe that means non Victorian teams will preference those from their state, or maybe needs will be given preference. But I think all it really means is that BigFooty will be saying there's lots of bolters and being quick to say a team overpaid or lost the draft.

Maybe that means non Victorian teams will preference those from their state, or maybe needs will be given preference. But I think all it really means is that BigFooty will be saying there's lots of bolters and being quick to say a team overpaid or lost the draft.
*Even quicker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris, I recently read eDPS refer to this draft as "stupidly even", and have seen others offer that sentiment, especially after the top echelon. I would love to hear your opinion on how that may effect clubs decisions on draft day, and asked him the following;

With your description of the draft as "stupidly even", how will that impact clubs decisions? Can we expect any of the following;
  • a greater focus on needs being key factors
  • a greater focus for WA and SA clubs preferring local players
  • any preferences from the development clubs
  • a reduced likelihood of clubs to bid on NGA or F/S options
  • a greater focus on players who will impact early
  • a reduction in "project" players
What are your thoughts?

David Noble has said in an interview, that with this draft being so even, and the ability for clubs to trade live picks, he expects clubs to target need and list fit very early.

We’re already seeing almost every clubs fans discuss team needs and list fit, from Melbourne at pick 3 and back.

Almost no one is talking about drafting best player available at their pick.

Knightmare is the only draft watcher that stands out to me, as telling people x player is a bit of a reach at y pick and their team would better off looking at a, b or c.

[USER=105307]Knightmare[/USER] is the only draft watcher that stands out to me, as telling people x player is a bit of a reach at y pick and their team would better off looking at a, b or c.
[/QUOTE]
My dumb down is for this sentence, if you want to stroke ego go to his thread and praise him, nothing to do with Noble or Chris25. This and pie for life thread I enjoy reading without reply much so please........ When I enjoy certain content I don't need to put my opinion out for the sake of it.

Last edited:
I did this a couple of weeks ago, but was waiting until after the BigFooty draft. So my November rankings...

1. Matthew Rowell (178cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
2. Noah Anderson (188cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
3. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)
4. Hayden Young (188cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
5. Tom Green (188cm, 85kg from NSW/ACT)
6. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from SA)
7. Lachlan Ash (186cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
8. Finn Maginness (187cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
9. Luke Jackson (198cm, 94kg from WA)
10. Liam Henry (179cm, 67kg from WA)

11. Brodie Kemp (192cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
12. Deven Robertson (182cm, 80kg from WA)
13. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from SA)
14. Fischer McAsey (195cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
15. Elijah Taylor (185cm, 75kg from WA)
16. Sam Flanders (182cm, 81kg from Vic Country)
17. Caleb Serong (178cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
18. Will Day (187cm, 70kg from SA)
19. Jeremy Sharp (187cm, 79kg from WA)
20. Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from SA)

21. Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from SA)
22. Mitch Georgiades (192cm, 80kg from WA)
23. Cody Weightman (177cm, 73kg from Vic Country)
24. Cooper Stephens (188cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
25. Miles Bergman (186cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
26. Trent Rivers (188cm, 85kg from WA)
27. Darcy Cassar (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
28. Josh Worrell (195cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
29. Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from SA)
30. Trent Bianco (178cm, 70kg from Vic Metro)

31. Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from SA)
32. Dylan Williams (185cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
33. Harrison Jones (194cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
34. Harry Schoenberg (180cm, 78kg from SA)
35. Sam DeKoning (200cm, 85kg from Vic Country)
36. Hugo Ralphsmith (188cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
37. Cooper Sharman (190cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
38. Sam Philp (185cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
39. Callum Jamieson (200cm, 81kg from WA)
40. Thomson Dow (183cm, 72kg from Vic Country)

41. Mitch O’Neill (181cm, 70kg from Tasmania)
42. Jay Rantall (184cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
43. Joshua Shute (187cm, 73kg from SA)
44. Jake Pasini (192cm, 81kg from WA)
45. Charlie Comben (199cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
46. Callum Park (188cm, 67kg from SA)
47. Flynn Perez (187cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
48. Trey Ruscoe (190cm, 90kg from WA)
49. Brock Smith (188cm, 81kg from Vic Country)
50. Jai Jackson (185cm, 80kg from WA)

51. Nick Bryan (202cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
52. Liam Delahunty (192cm, 90kg from NSW/ACT)
53. Riley Garcia (176cm, 70kg from WA)
54. Tyrone Thorne (167cm, 60kg from WA)
55. Fraser Phillips (187cm, 72kg from Vic Country)
56. Ben Johnson (180cm, 65kg from WA)
57. Ned Cahill (178cm, 77kg from Vic Country)
58. Josh Morris (186cm, 76kg from SA)
59. Jack Mahony (177cm, 71kg from Vic Metro)
60. Josh Honey (184cm, 85kg from Vic Metro)

I've always said rankings shouldn't change much once the season is over. If they do, it's generally that you're changing your opinions based on what other people are saying. Best to just stick with what you think.

So since September, only 2 players have moved more than 3 or 4 spots - Kysaiah Pickett moved from 26 to 21, and Mitch Georgiades from 35 to 22. I've been talking up Georgiades as an early second round pick on the Fremantle board for months, so it's time my rankings were updated to reflect that. There's no 'tall' forward that I would pick before him.

I was going to stop at 50, but then I wanted to include the players from 51 to 54. Which meant I expanded to 60, I'm not sold on the last few names though. I considered using the last few spots for 19 year olds and mature aged players, but I'll do a separate list for them.

I did this a couple of weeks ago, but was waiting until after the BigFooty draft. So my November rankings...

I've always said rankings shouldn't change much once the season is over. If they do, it's generally that you're changing your opinions based on what other people are saying. Best to just stick with what you think.

So since September, only 2 players have moved more than 3 or 4 spots - Kysaiah Pickett moved from 26 to 21, and Mitch Georgiades from 35 to 22. I've been talking up Georgiades as an early second round pick on the Fremantle board for months, so it's time my rankings were updated to reflect that. There's no 'tall' forward that I would pick before him.

I was going to stop at 50, but then I wanted to include the players from 51 to 54. Which meant I expanded to 60, I'm not sold on the last few names though. I considered using the last few spots for 19 year olds and mature aged players, but I'll do a separate list for them.

ive been thinking and saying the same about Georgiades, best tall forw by a mile imo, i just wish we had seen him this year.

I've talked a fair bit about the bigger name SA prospects, mainly those invited to the national combine. But what about those who attended the state screening?

Luke Beecken SA Woodville West Torrens, Trent Burgoyne SAWoodville West Torrens, Lachlan Burrows SA Sturt, Brad Close SA Glenelg, Jamie Coff SA Woodville West Torrens, Henry Crauford SA Norwood, Elliot Dunkin SA West Adelaide, Jy Farrar SA Adelaide SANFL, Damon Freitag SA South Adelaide, Cole Gerloff SA Norwood, Oliver Grivell SA Sturt, Lachlan Hoile SA Woodville West Torrens, Tom Hutchesson SA Adelaide SANFL, Reid Kuller SA Glenelg, Mihael Lochowiak SA Sturt, Anzac Lochowiak SA Sturt, Harrison Magor SA North Adelaide, Jed McEntee SA Sturt, Jordan Moore SA Glenelg, Luke Partington SA Glenelg, James Rowe SA Woodville West Torrens

For me, the best player in this group is Harrison Magor. I think he has the potential to go in the main draft, somewhere in the later rounds. He's a good size and versatile midfielder. Ball magnet contested mid in the U18s, but showed he can play in the back half for SA. He just does most things well. I imagine some teams will view him as good value pick, others may not view him as a high ceiling type pick. And for the teams who don't value Magor, I think Reid Kuller could be the SA mid they look towards. He's smaller at 180cm, but he's a country kid with limited exposure at Glenelg and has a high upside. He won Glenelg's U18 B&F despite playing just 8 games. Does everything you want from an inside midfielder and is a good kick too.

There's also a few mature aged players in the mix here. I have Elliot Dunkin, Luke Partington and Cole Gerloff at #2, #5 and #8 respectively in my rankings of the best mature aged options in the draft. Henry Crauford is an interesting option as a big bodied project ruck, but I think he might need another season in the SANFL first. The same can probably be said for Jy Farrar, he has talent but teams will probably want to see a full season from him first and he's signed on with Sturt for the 2020 season. But a combine invite after just 2 games is pretty impressive.

Of the rest, Jordan Moore will likely be one of the best KPDs available in the rookie draft. I think he gets picked up. Oliver Grivell would be an outside chance, mainly because he projects more as a third tall. Jed McEntee and Lachlan Hoile may get a look in, based on disposal numbers and Hoile does at least some decent size for a midfielder. And I wouldn't be surprised if a team took a one year chance on Trent Burgoyne, see if they can get him healthy but it would be risky to use a senior list spot on him. I suspect Port Adelaide will get their wish and have him available in the rookie draft.

One player I will mention is Michael Frederick, the twin brother of Port Adelaide Cat B rookie Martin. He played as an overager in the SANFL U18s this year, and improved a lot as the season went on. Saved his best game for the Grand Final and was BOG, and got a late call up to the state combine as a result of that. He's been playing more as an outside mid/half forward, offers some serious run and is a great kick. If Port can still Cat B him, he'd be another who is worth a look in.

Harrison Magor - 50 to rookie
Elliot Dunkin - 50 to rookie
Reid Kuller - 60 to rookie
Luke Partington - 60 to rookie
Cole Gerloff - 60 to rookie
Jordan Moore - rookie
Trent Burgoyne - F/S rookie
Michael Frederick - rookie

I've talked a fair bit about the bigger name SA prospects, mainly those invited to the national combine. But what about those who attended the state screening?

For me, the best player in this group is Harrison Magor. I think he has the potential to go in the main draft, somewhere in the later rounds. He's a good size and versatile midfielder. Ball magnet contested mid in the U18s, but showed he can play in the back half for SA. He just does most things well. I imagine some teams will view him as good value pick, others may not view him as a high ceiling type pick. And for the teams who don't value Magor, I think Reid Kuller could be the SA mid they look towards. He's smaller at 180cm, but he's a country kid with limited exposure at Glenelg and has a high upside. He won Glenelg's U18 B&F despite playing just 8 games. Does everything you want from an inside midfielder and is a good kick too.

There's also a few mature aged players in the mix here. I have Elliot Dunkin, Luke Partington and Cole Gerloff at #2, #5 and #8 respectively in my rankings of the best mature aged options in the draft. Henry Crauford is an interesting option as a big bodied project ruck, but I think he might need another season in the SANFL first. The same can probably be said for Jy Farrar, he has talent but teams will probably want to see a full season from him first and he's signed on with Sturt for the 2020 season. But a combine invite after just 2 games is pretty impressive.

Of the rest, Jordan Moore will likely be one of the best KPDs available in the rookie draft. I think he gets picked up. Oliver Grivell would be an outside chance, mainly because he projects more as a third tall. Jed McEntee and Lachlan Hoile may get a look in, based on disposal numbers and Hoile does at least some decent size for a midfielder. And I wouldn't be surprised if a team took a one year chance on Trent Burgoyne, see if they can get him healthy but it would be risky to use a senior list spot on him. I suspect Port Adelaide will get their wish and have him available in the rookie draft.

One player I will mention is Michael Frederick, the twin brother of Port Adelaide Cat B rookie Martin. He played as an overager in the SANFL U18s this year, and improved a lot as the season went on. Saved his best game for the Grand Final and was BOG, and got a late call up to the state combine as a result of that. He's been playing more as an outside mid/half forward, offers some serious run and is a great kick. If Port can still Cat B him, he'd be another who is worth a look in.

Harrison Magor - 50 to rookie
Elliot Dunkin - 50 to rookie
Reid Kuller - 60 to rookie
Luke Partington - 60 to rookie
Cole Gerloff - 60 to rookie
Jordan Moore - rookie
Trent Burgoyne - F/S rookie
Michael Frederick - rookie
If Fremantle were to look at a project ruck with a late pick/rookie, who would you recommend Chris? I am thinking less of a journeyman, plodder type, and more one with athleticism.

I am happy with Darcy and Lobb on our list, but both have had injury issues, as has Meek (yet to make it onto the training track this pre-season), and I think the part-timers on our list like Taberner and Cox are unconvincing to be generous.

I don't think Jackson is out of the picture as an early draft option for us, but I think it is better for us to look midfield and forward early in the draft, and a value project ruckman later, or even next season.

If Fremantle were to look at a project ruck with a late pick/rookie, who would you recommend Chris? I am thinking less of a journeyman, plodder type, and more one with athleticism.

I am happy with Darcy and Lobb on our list, but both have had injury issues, as has Meek (yet to make it onto the training track this pre-season), and I think the part-timers on our list like Taberner and Cox are unconvincing to be generous.

I don't think Jackson is out of the picture as an early draft option for us, but I think it is better for us to look midfield and forward early in the draft, and a value project ruckman later, or even next season.

Callum Jamieson would be the obvious answer. It would likely involve trading into the middle of the draft, I'd expect him to go anywhere from 30-60 depending on how each club ranks the ruck options. He'd be the best option for us, but would also cost the most (outside of Jackson). The other options in the main draft would be Nick Bryan, Charlie Comben and Jack Bell, but I'd just stick with Lloyd Meek and try to fast track him if I didn't get Jamieson.

Otherwise, best bet as a rookie might be Ajang Ajang. He doesn't have the elite athleticism that most of the undersized rucks possess, but he would at least give us a different look at the position.

Chris25 would you as a Fremantle fan consider 29 and 34 for 22 and 58 on draft night if the bid for Henry comes after Fremantle’s pick 10?
Surely under the new rules every club that faces a bid just takes the offer (or doesn't, as the case may be) that leaves them the best residual outcome. Might be that, might not.

Last edited:
Surely under the new rules every club that faces a bid just takes the offer (or doesn't, as the case may be) that leaves them the best residual outcome. Might be that, might not.
Yeah, under my proposed trade, the residual offer probably is something like, instead of Fremantle’s pick 58 being pushed back 6 to 8 spots it instead moves forward 4 to 6 spots.

So essentially upgrading pick 64 to 54 in the overall scheme of the draft.

Other than the big names, I haven't paid a whole heap of attention to the 2020 guys. I'll have a look and see. Edwards and Borlase should be enough though, don't be greedy.
hi Chris. Ogilvie was interviewed today and said that Tariek Newchurch is the mystery NGA player that Adelaide has access to next year as well.

do you know anything about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back