Draft Watcher 2019 Young (SA) Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might try to predict the first round, see how accurate I am. But otherwise, no more updates from me. I always think rankings shouldn't change once the season is over, personal rankings shouldn't be impacted by rumours. And now everyone's mock drafts are just copying what Twomey and other media guys are saying anyway. So it's all the same.

But some final first round notes from me...

- Adelaide shouldn't take Fischer McAsey. I'm not particularly sold on the Adelaide midfield going forward, and this draft is good for tall defenders in the second and third rounds. They could take a midfielder with their first pick, and then draft the entire SA back line in Gould, Finlay and Hilder with their remaining picks

- Kysaiah Pickett is more than good enough to be a first round pick. I've read people saying he hasn't produced or doesn't have much development to come, but that's ridiculous. He's so talented and will only get better. If he played the entire season in U18 football, he'd have probably had plenty of 20+ disposal games and it wouldn't be a question

- I still think Will Gould wins the rising star next year, and it's just crazy to me that he could go outside the top 25. I also think Cameron Taheny and Elijah Taylor go later than they should, while I think Jeremy Sharp should be a late first rounder with Mitch Georgiades

I know nobody asked, but I'll still give my thoughts anyway...

- Sydney nailed their pick. Dylan Stephens was the best available and they rightfully stuck to my board. He should play all 22 games next year and I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops. And with two picks upcoming in the second round, the Swans are in a great spot

- And with Stephens off the board, I don't mind the Fischer McAsey pick for Adelaide

- I had Caleb Serong ranked lower than where he went, but he'd have been my pick for Fremantle given how the draft had fallen. Hayden Young was the standout pick, but Serong is a good compliment. I wrote up profiles for him and a few others Fremantle were linked to, and the profiles I wrote were enough to convince me he was a better choice than Sam Flanders

- I wonder if Gold Coast will be regretting their trade up. I don't think Flanders is 'good enough' that I'd be targeting him, and trading out two high picks to do it. There was talk that they were into Deven Robertson, and maybe they didn't think he'd still be available at 17 or 22. But if they stayed where they were, could have gotten him and another WA player in Trent Rivers or maybe reached slightly on Will Gould who could transform the Suns team. I think I'd rather the quantity of two picks, especially when the quality is the same (or even better)

- I liked the trade from Carlton's perspective, since they probably would have picked Brodie Kemp at 11 anyway and I would have felt a lot more comfortable taking him at 17. If I had to pick a high profile bust from this first round, it would probably be him (or Flanders)...but Kemp has huge amounts of potential, so it's worth the risk

- Couple of great SA selections in Kozzie Pickett and Will Day. I like the picks. Day was never making it out of the top 15, his upside is as good as anyone in the draft. And Pickett is just fun to watch

- The Mitch Georgiades pick was inspired. I said earlier in the week that he should be a first round pick, I didn't think he actually would be. I had a conservative final ranking of 22, but he's the best tall forward in the draft and would have gone top 10 if he played this year

- My highest rated players left are Will Gould and Finn Maginness, but I wasn't expecting them to be first round picks. I do think Deven Robetson was unlucky, he could be the player in a few years time in which BigFooty might win over the recruiters. Everything says he could be the next Worpel or Parker. One thing I'll be watching is where Cameron Taheny and Elijah Taylor go, wouldn't surprise me if it's not until the third round. And with teams not being afraid to take injured players, Flynn Perez should be one of the first to go in the second round

- Sydney nailed their pick. Dylan Stephens was the best available and they rightfully stuck to my board. He should play all 22 games next year and I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops. And with two picks upcoming in the second round, the Swans are in a great spot

- And with Stephens off the board, I don't mind the Fischer McAsey pick for Adelaide

- I had Caleb Serong ranked lower than where he went, but he'd have been my pick for Fremantle given how the draft had fallen. Hayden Young was the standout pick, but Serong is a good compliment. I wrote up profiles for him and a few others Fremantle were linked to, and the profiles I wrote were enough to convince me he was a better choice than Sam Flanders

- I wonder if Gold Coast will be regretting their trade up. I don't think Flanders is 'good enough' that I'd be targeting him, and trading out two high picks to do it. There was talk that they were into Deven Robertson, and maybe they didn't think he'd still be available at 17 or 22. But if they stayed where they were, could have gotten him and another WA player in Trent Rivers or maybe reached slightly on Will Gould who could transform the Suns team. I think I'd rather the quantity of two picks, especially when the quality is the same (or even better)

- I liked the trade from Carlton's perspective, since they probably would have picked Brodie Kemp at 11 anyway and I would have felt a lot more comfortable taking him at 17. If I had to pick a high profile bust from this first round, it would probably be him (or Flanders)...but Kemp has huge amounts of potential, so it's worth the risk

- Couple of great SA selections in Kozzie Pickett and Will Day. I like the picks. Day was never making it out of the top 15, his upside is as good as anyone in the draft. And Pickett is just fun to watch

- The Mitch Georgiades pick was inspired. I said earlier in the week that he should be a first round pick, I didn't think he actually would be. I had a conservative final ranking of 22, but he's the best tall forward in the draft and would have gone top 10 if he played this year

- My highest rated players left are Will Gould and Finn Maginness, but I wasn't expecting them to be first round picks. I do think Deven Robetson was unlucky, he could be the player in a few years time in which BigFooty might win over the recruiters. Everything says he could be the next Worpel or Parker. One thing I'll be watching is where Cameron Taheny and Elijah Taylor go, wouldn't surprise me if it's not until the third round. And with teams not being afraid to take injured players, Flynn Perez should be one of the first to go in the second round
Going to be very interesting to see what pick trades eventuate now. Could be a very active session coming up after the night off. Any way Fremantle can make up the points deficit Chris to go into 2020 clean?

Hey Chris, what did you think of the Bulldogs pick?

I see you had him at 23 in your ratings - was 15 a realistic reach for him given our list?

It’s felt inevitable that we were taking Weightman in this draft unless Rowell made it through to pick 15!!!

Going to be very interesting to see what pick trades eventuate now. Could be a very active session coming up after the night off. Any way Fremantle can make up the points deficit Chris to go into 2020 clean?

The whole points deficit isn't something I ever bothered learning about. It seems complicated.

Hey Chris, what did you think of the Bulldogs pick?

I see you had him at 23 in your ratings - was 15 a realistic reach for him given our list?

It’s felt inevitable that we were taking Weightman in this draft unless Rowell made it through to pick 15!!!

The picks from 12 to 15 went as expected. Once Bergman was off the table, Cody Weightman was the obvious choice for the Bulldogs. I do like him, he's a lively type and has potential to play up through the wings. I don't think he was much of a reach, seemed like 10-15 was his range and a few other clubs liked him too.

In my rankings I had a bunch of guys ahead of him that were never going to be top 15 picks (Gould, Taheny, Taylor, Sharp, Finlay) just because I really like them. They'd have been more of a reach than Weightman, even though it would be a reach I'd support.

Sydney swans with some pearlers with Stephens Gould And Taylor I reckon.

I think that’s a stunning haul.

Sydney can add me to the payroll whenever they like. They did very well getting my 3rd, 6th and 15th best players.

On the SCG, I reckon Will Gould be amazing. With his power runs and 50+ metre kick, he'll cover half the ground.

Best picks of Day 2 for me...

- Gould at 26 and Taheny at 50. Great value for both, and great team fits for both players. You just know Taheny is going to be a star at Geelong
- Sharp at 27. I'm all for the trade Gold Coast did, I know they gave up a first for a second but it shows they're serious about the now rather than the next draft. Get an extra year of development into Sharp, who is a first round talent and just as good as Jack Martin
- Riccardi at 51. Really smart drafting by the Giants, best key forward available on Day 2 and the one most ready for senior action
- I also liked Jamieson, Smith and Taylor

I find it hard to question too much. With so few players getting drafted, a lot of clubs went early on their personal favourites to ensure they didn't miss out - but I'm all for that. Have to back yourself in. Take Minairo Frederick for example, his highlight video is as good as anyone in the entire draft. If I was being critical, I didn't really like Essendon's draft. It's always tough to balance getting immediate impact while looking towards the future, but two talls who will take years to develop plus a small forward who isn't as good as what they already have leaves me wanting a bit more.

Best remaining players heading into the rookie draft for me - Karl Finlay, Darcy Cassar, Dyson Hilder, Cooper Sharman and Callum Park. I still think Finlay will be a very good player for a long time, just a matter of when he gets onto a list. But when only 65 players get taken it's hard to be too surprised at players missing out, if you weren't rated a top 40 prospect then you were 50/50 at best to go in the national draft.

- Gould at 26 and Taheny at 50. Great value for both, and great team fits for both players. You just know Taheny is going to be a star at Geelong
- Sharp at 27. I'm all for the trade Gold Coast did, I know they gave up a first for a second but it shows they're serious about the now rather than the next draft. Get an extra year of development into Sharp, who is a first round talent and just as good as Jack Martin
- Riccardi at 51. Really smart drafting by the Giants, best key forward available on Day 2 and the one most ready for senior action

I find it hard to question too much. With so few players getting drafted, a lot of clubs went early on their personal favourites to ensure they didn't miss out - but I'm all for that. Have to back yourself in. Take Minairo Frederick for example, his highlight video is as good as anyone in the entire draft. If I was being critical, I didn't really like Essendon's draft. It's always tough to balance getting immediate impact while looking towards the future, but two talls who will take years to develop plus a small forward who isn't as good as what they already have leaves me wanting a bit more.

Best remaining players heading into the rookie draft for me - Karl Finlay, Darcy Cassar, Dyson Hilder, Cooper Sharman and Callum Park. I still think Finlay will be a very good player for a long time, just a matter of when he gets onto a list. But when only 65 players get taken it's hard to be too surprised at players missing out, if you weren't rated a top 40 prospect then you were 50/50 at best to go in the national draft.

Chris ...As some one I like to read when they expand on SA talent ... could you please ..give me a little more on Tarheey and perhaps a bit on the kid we have taken in the rookie Close ...

Certainly some a very happy to have got Tar for P50 ... we trade multiple late picks to get him ..(not sure exactly on the deal) .. the highlights I have seen he does look to have very sticky hands overhead. Would you say he kicks a lot of setshot goals from on the lead marks?

Close seems to have record a couple of good results at the SA combine but I dont think he was mentioned at all in phantoms.. Another kid ..Harrison Magor seemed to star at the combine ..no one interested in him?

And Hilder and Finlay .. didnt get draft ? I wonder if they may be Mid season options

Last edited:

Thoughts on jy Farrar

Chris ...As some one I like to read when they expand on SA talent ... could you please ..give me a little more on Tarheey and perhaps a bit on the kid we have taken in the rookie Close ...

Certainly some a very happy to have got Tar for P50 ... we trade multiple late picks to get him ..(not sure exactly on the deal) .. the highlights I have seen he does look to have very sticky hands overhead. Would you say he kicks a lot of setshot goals from on the lead marks?

Close seems to have record a couple of good results at the SA combine but I dont think he was mentioned at all in phantoms.. Another kid ..Harrison Magor seemed to star at the combine ..no one interested in him?

And Hilder and Finlay .. didnt get draft ? I wonder if they may be Mid season options

I've been a massive fan of Taheny for the last two and a bit years. I still think he's top 10 in the draft for pure talent. Unfortunately he just wasn't able to get his body right this year, he played through knee and quad issues. Judging by the likes of Cooper Stephens and Mitch Georgiades, he probably would have been better off not playing and letting his underage form do the talking.

He's a versatile player. He's particularly strong on the lead as a forward, good initial take off and a good mark. Most of his goals do come from marks and set shots, he can kick them from anywhere within 50m. But he can also push further up the ground, and played off half back a bit last year. And you can see with his some of his chase downs how fast he is. He does share quite a few of the same attributes as Jordan Murdoch, with a better forward game.

I'm a big fan of his, and you can't argue with some of his performances at league level for Norwood. He just had a down year.

Brad Close was just a big improver this season for Glenelg, particularly in the second half of the year. He got more comfortable in the forward half and looked to become a bit more selfish, and I mean that in a good way. He's just a clean player, and could easily push for a debut. Maybe won't be a regular best 22, but he'll be there if needed and perform well.

Disappointing that neither Karl Finlay or Dyson Hilder got drafted. But there were barely any KPPs who got a shot after the top 30. I expect both will play a lot of senior football next year in the SANFL and be well and truly on the radar again.

Thoughts on jy Farrar

Can't help you. I'm not sure I saw either of his league games for Adelaide. But there was interest from more than just the Gold Coast, very much a low risk high reward pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The highlights reel of Michael Frederick is sensational.

There must be some knock on him. Never saw his name come up in any discussions at all.

The highlights reel of Michael Frederick is sensational.

There must be some knock on him. Never saw his name come up in any discussions at all.

i think its Martin Frederick and i think he was a Port NGA last season, but they passed on him, theres some talk about him in Chris' draft thread last year.

I've been a massive fan of Taheny for the last two and a bit years. I still think he's top 10 in the draft for pure talent. Unfortunately he just wasn't able to get his body right this year, he played through knee and quad issues. Judging by the likes of Cooper Stephens and Mitch Georgiades, he probably would have been better off not playing and letting his underage form do the talking.

He's a versatile player. He's particularly strong on the lead as a forward, good initial take off and a good mark. Most of his goals do come from marks and set shots, he can kick them from anywhere within 50m. But he can also push further up the ground, and played off half back a bit last year. And you can see with his some of his chase downs how fast he is. He does share quite a few of the same attributes as Jordan Murdoch, with a better forward game.

I'm a big fan of his, and you can't argue with some of his performances at league level for Norwood. He just had a down year.

Brad Close was just a big improver this season for Glenelg, particularly in the second half of the year. He got more comfortable in the forward half and looked to become a bit more selfish, and I mean that in a good way. He's just a clean player, and could easily push for a debut. Maybe won't be a regular best 22, but he'll be there if needed and perform well.

Disappointing that neither Karl Finlay or Dyson Hilder got drafted. But there were barely any KPPs who got a shot after the top 30. I expect both will play a lot of senior football next year in the SANFL and be well and truly on the radar again.
I think it’s being proven this year with Stephens georgiades and Perez if you are good enough you’ll get drafted, as long as you’re ticking all the boxes in rehab. Players trying to play through injuries because they are worried missing games might affect their chances can do more harm than good.

Chris25 thanks for your contribution again this year. Always good to have local talent watchers.

Thanks. Every year I say I'm going to cut back, and I always get sucked back in. Maybe next year...

Thanks. Every year I say I'm going to cut back, and I always get sucked back in. Maybe next year...

Always appreciate what you share, and great respect for your knowledge of the players.

Have one for you that I was surprised did'nt get picked up. Park, he is a poor man's Stephenson and Day but also looks to have plenty of upside. Why do you think he was overlooked Chris....and could he be in the mix next year?

Personally think he was a great fit for the Pies and they interviewed him 3 times and decided not to go with Riccardi which is a shame as i think he would have been great there.
Chris25 thanks for your contribution again this year. Always good to have local talent watchers.

Thought i would quote you but also anybody els who may know more regarding the 2 Brisbane Academy kids Richmond collected in cumberland/Martyn

Personally think he was a great fit for the Pies and they interviewed him 3 times and decided not to go with Riccardi which is a shame as i think he would have been great there.

Thought i would quote you but also anybody els who may know more regarding the 2 Brisbane Academy kids Richmond collected in cumberland/Martyn
Rumour up here that Martyn already misses the QLD weather and wants a trade home.

😜

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back