2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think I'd melt over any selection. We just don't know yet how any of these guys will translate to AFL level. Rowell could be a bust for all we know.

I'd prefer Young and Stephens but wouldn't be cut up about Serong. Lachie Neale was too short, not quick enough and not damaging enough either apparently. Some guys are just natural footballers.

Kicking Query Dampens Hype On Robertson

BRADEN QUARTERMAINE

Deven Robertson is adamant his kicking ability will not stifle his AFL career as the captain of WA’s victorious under-18 outfit prepares to learn his draft fate in Melbourne tonight. Robertson is one of three WA under-18 stars who will attend the first round of the national draft at Marvel Stadium, with ruckman Luke Jackson and forward Liam Henry. The 18-year-old inside midfielder won the Larke Medal, awarded to the best player at this year’s under-18 titles, but could slip outside the top 10 amid concerns about his kicking. “It’s something I’ve worked on throughout the year and it’s something I’m continuing to work on,” Robertson said. “But there is no perfect player, everyone is working on something . I’m confident that I’ve got the work ethic to continue to improve it.” Robertson has had kicking training this year with former WA under-18 mentor Andrew Lockyer. The Perth product will be joined by parents Troy and Mareesa at the draft, while his uncle Darren Glass will be on hand at West Coast’s table in his role as the Eagles’ new list manager. Robertson grew up wanting to play for the Eagles, but conceded that prospect was unlikely given they had traded out of the first two rounds. The teenager admitted to being so nervous yesterday he hadn’t eaten and said he had no preference regarding staying home or moving interstate. If Fremantle pass on him with picks seven and eight, Robertson will most likely head interstate. “It’s less than 24 hours away now so I can’t wait to get it over with,” he said. “I think any opportunity would be an amazing opportunity. I have spoken to the Dockers a few times, but you still just never know. “They can be as interested as they want in you, but they could be a little bit more interested in another player. “We’ll wait and see.” Fremantle appear certain to take Henry as their third pick, with a bid set to come after their two top-10 selections, but football manager Peter Bell yesterday offered no guarantees. “It’s a difficult one because there’s a lot of unknown about when a bid might come for Liam,” Bell told the club website. “So obviously we’ve planned for all the different scenarios and realistically when a bid does come, then we’ll assess whether we want to match that bid.” Subiaco forward Ben Sokol is looming as the State’s leading mature-age contender after winning the WAFL’s goal kicking this year with 51 majors. Lions premiership coach Beau Wardman said Sokol deserved an opportunity. “He can’t have done much more than what he has with his goal-kicking ability and his marking,” Wardman said. “I think the growth in his maturity over the last two or three years has got him in a really good headspace. “He’s really settled off the field, his on-field performances have become really consistent and I think he would be a good acquisition at AFL level for a club that might be interested.” › Having conquered their Year 12 studies at Carey Grammar, Victorian best mates Noah Anderson and Matthew Rowell are ready to conquer a new challenge in the AFL. The pair are almost certain to be snapped up by Gold Coast with the first two selections tonight, continuing their football journey side by side. They have not only been classmates and played alongside each other with Carey Grammar, but have come through the Oakleigh Chargers’ program together, played junior football with and against each other, and even won a basketball championship on the same team. While their mates are living it up at schoolies celebrations in Byron Bay, Anderson and Rowell have been patiently awaiting the draft, which they will attend with their families. “There hasn’t been any sleepless nights. I’m more just really excited,” Anderson said. He is tipped to be picked second behind Rowell, the standout player in the draft. with Chris Cavanagh

Freo will probably have no chance at Jackson, but I reckon there's every chance Robertson would've been working on his kicking already today like he did yesterday and as he will tomorrow. He's shown some toe as well. If Young slides he'd be too good a get to pass up at 7-8-ish, but Robertson has so many good qualities and so much going for him as the WA captain in pairing up with Henry.

Pretty happy with Young, Robertson and Henry haul.

Freo will probably have no chance at Jackson, but I reckon there's every chance Robertson would've been working on his kicking already today like he did yesterday and as he will tomorrow. He's shown some toe as well. If Young slides he'd be too good a get to pass up at 7-8-ish. Pretty happy with Young, Robertson and Henry haul.
I like this haul as well. Won't be disappointed if we end up with any 2 of Ash / Stephens / Robertson / Young along with Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno, talking about Pickett at 10 doesn't exactly instil me with great confidence in their decision-making abilities...
If the Dee's are thinking small forward they would be better offering that pick for two later. Adding 3 players from approx. first round
has to be a win.
A Jackson, Pickett, Serong, Weightman and Sharp. Addresses small forward, attacking wing with Langdon and a ruck/forward/mid
hybrid.

Twomey floating a few permutations, including one where we take Flanders over Serong if Sydney go early on Stephens, and another where Carlton trade up with Adelaide to take Young if McAsey is still there (because we probably won't take him).

JLo about to come on.

When does the actual thing start?

1:30am for all the footy fans in Chicago. Lol

Gonna be an early morning....glad I have off work tomorrow. I’ll need to watch the highlights of the two players we pick with 7&8 that no ones heard of....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carlton really can’t afford to trade up but I guess anything is possible. They have Paperly in their sights for 2020 and not sure they want the hype and negativity involved in swapping first rounders again. I get the feeling they will sit and see who slides out of Young, Stephens and Serong. Not a bad scenario for them - a little like losing the toss on a greenish pitch but on a clear sunny day.

If they do trade up then just pick Stephens and Serong. Stephens seems to be more in the mix for Adelaide’s pick 6. Young is also in the mix for Sydney’s pick 5 along with Flanders.

Whatever the scenario we will end up with two of Flanders, Young, Stephens, Serong and Robertson.

Has nothing to do with what is actually true. Anyone can get lucky calling pocket aces with 2-7 off. What I care about is whether the information presented makes it reasonable to believe what is claimed. Prior to P4L this morning I didn't think that was the case.

Fair enough, you might be new to the AFL draft.

Every year Cal Twomey gets a heap of mail with regards to which teams are looking at each player. Then you will find Knightmare and BF follows that information. As much as people want to bag Cal, he certainly does get some information out and Freo supporters are almost certain as to which three players are highly likely to be selected.

Once you get out passed the first 10 or so picks, that is when the information is a little harder to predict, but Cal often knows which teams are sniffing around which players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back