2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney haven't met with Dyl Stephens parents (we have 3-4 times). So i reckon its Adelaide the only danger of taking him - assuming we want him.

• Having a few familiar faces around the club has helped him settle in.
  • Really dedicated playing group, driven to make the club better.
  • Spent some good time with the young guys, lots of good characters among that group. Wants to develop them and give them opportunities.
  • Talked about adding skill to the group and develop the players holistically. Has been a focus on designing skill improvement drills with the aim of better game-day kicking. LeCras will have an impact on that.
  • Has had a limited impact on the recruiting process and decision-making - said he's about empowering others and that it would be wrong of him to get too involved when the recruiting team has put hours over the year on players, so will leave them to make those decisions tonight.
  • Liam terrific person, we're excited about the opportunity of him being at the club if that's how it happens. Haven't spent enough time with him to get a tie yet.
  • We're a little unsure about what will be picked ahead of us, but really important that we get kids of high character. We got Aish and Acres, but will still look to add some depth outside.
  • Want to set up an environment where kids want to stay here for their whole career, where if kids want to be the best they can be then Freo is the club for them.
  • Said in terms of style, he is a really defensive-minded coach but wants players to play on instinct and read the cues in front of them.
  • Hogan crash innocuous, a bit sheepish about flipping his car but body is fine. Starting to build his running and kicking loads.
  • Cerra and AB, want to give them the best opportunity to play mid. Players are flexible and nobody plays 100% mid these days, but under Josh Carr they'll the get the opportunity playing there early in the year.

I dont think I'd melt over any selection. We just don't know yet how any of these guys will translate to AFL level. Rowell could be a bust for all we know.

I'd prefer Young and Stephens but wouldn't be cut up about Serong. Lachie Neale was too short, not quick enough and not damaging enough either apparently. Some guys are just natural footballers.
Totally agree with this. It’s all a lottery in the end. You can get a gem at pick 50 and a dud in the top 10.

There seems to be a misconception regarding the go home factor to be considered when drafting players from Vic country. The majority of these boys end up going home after very short careers with Freo because they are not much good at football.
Apart from Mundy, Walker and Subes would be our best performers from Vic country.

Many hours of listening to Twomey et al, perusing various phantoms, looking through draft profiles, listening to Freo official and player interviews...

Still no ******* idea who we are going to get tonight. Time well spent.

and we may still change our picks LOL ...I'd take the offer from Cats if they included 24 for our 49

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My constantly changing expectations - early edition draftmas:

Probably just clutching (and hopful for Chris23 too) but:

1. "Stephens being interviewed atm. Has had lots of contact with us, we've met with his parents three or four times."
  2. "We're a little unsure about what will be picked ahead of us, but really important that we get kids of high character. We got Aish and Acres, but will still look to add some depth outside." (JLo)
  3. View attachment 785426

Dyl having a chat to J-Lo....
    1+2+3 = Stephens

Personally I'd love Young but I just cannot see him sliding to us. He's too good. Expect, in Young's unavailability, we take Robertson and Henry.

Apoligies if this question has been answered but I have no Foxtel atm..Can I watch live on the AFL app(I dont use Telstra). Or ..what is my best option for live updates

Very excited about the possibilities today..Seems the top 10 plus are all very good
Bring home Young Stephens and Henry Belly and I will be stoked

Apoligies if this question has been answered but I have no Foxtel atm..Can I watch live on the AFL app(I dont use Telstra). Or ..what is my best option for live updates

Very excited about the possibilities today..Seems the top 10 plus are all very good
Bring home Young Stephens and Henry Belly and I will be stoked
Draft Night LIVE
Not a subscriber? For the first time ever, Cal Twomey, Nat Edwards, Mitch Cleary and Riley Beveridge will bring you Draft Night Live on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App on day one of the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

You can stay up to date with everything that's happening with in-depth analysis of the players and a step ahead of the decision-making in the draft rooms with Cal's unparalleled knowledge of what the clubs are thinking.

We'll also bring you interviews with some of the young players who are fresh off realising their childhood dream of becoming an AFL player. Watch Draft Night LIVE from 6.30pm AEDT.

Wonder how far Geelong will go with their offer to get an early pick to get McAsey, latest is their currently offering 14 and 17. Even if we included say 7, 2020 2nd, 58 and 73 for 14,17 and 24 I would take it.

Wonder how far Geelong will go with their offer to get an early pick to get McAsey, latest is their currently offering 14 and 17. Even if we included say 7, 2020 2nd, 58 and 73 for 14,17 and 24 I would take it.

What would be the point when 14 is going to get eaten up with a Henry bid anyways...

Would it not be ironic if, after all the talk on these boards, we ended up with Jackson, Robertson and Henry?

If this were the case, Kim Hagdorn would have to say something positive about Freo.

No he wouldn’t. He would somehow claim credit for talking us into it. Up until they turned out not to be the best players, then he would blame our development.

Fair enough, you might be new to the AFL draft.

Every year Cal Twomey gets a heap of mail with regards to which teams are looking at each player. Then you will find Knightmare and BF follows that information. As much as people want to bag Cal, he certainly does get some information out and Freo supporters are almost certain as to which three players are highly likely to be selected.

Once you get out passed the first 10 or so picks, that is when the information is a little harder to predict, but Cal often knows which teams are sniffing around which players.
I've been following for 4 or 5 years. Twomey seems to be around 70% right for the top 10 but probably only 50/50 for us and only when it gets really close to the draft.

I'm not claiming he knows nothing, because he clearly knows more than anyone. What I am claiming is that he certainly doesn't know 100%.

What would be the point when 14 is going to get eaten up with a Henry bid anyways...

Something eats up points associated with a bid for Henry anyway...it is a matter of: More picks that still give us talent while also preserving all our 2020 picks (no deficit). Would prefer Young, Henry re bid, Robertson and Sharp (and points and picks intact) than to Young and Serong/Stephens and Henry and deficit

I’ve noticed all the phantoms have now switched to serong and young for us. Only fox footy is left as Stephens. As long as nothing crazy happens from here I’ll be happy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back