2019 Young Talent Time

trentjac

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
He has never played against Men, so he isn’t above any of them right now... forgot he is probably behind Crowden as well.

Playing U18’s is one thing, stepping up to bigger bodies, experienced hands is a totally different game!
Normally I would agree, but this kid is 88kg in a 178cm frame. Sam Walsh did bloody well last year who is taller (6cm pffft) but an extra 8kg heavier.
I reckon he will go alright

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Serong fits a Prestia and/or Zorko kind of mould and I don't think too many would mind (in a footy sense) having either of those running around for Freo. Being good mates with Young is a big tick. Not only helping with both settling in for the longer term, but also in a mini-on field connection sense to, having played a bit of footy together.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Serong fits a Prestia and/or Zorko kind of mould and I don't think too many would mind (in a footy sense) having either of those running around for Freo. Being good mates with Young is a big tick. Not only helping with both settling in for the longer term, but also in a mini-on field connection sense to, having played a bit of footy together.
going to cop a bit for this but I used to watch a fair bit of WC back in the day (before I saw the light - came from a bball background like Pendelbury and jackson so what did I know) and watching the extended highlights and everything else I can find on him, Serong plays a lot like I remember of DKerr.

Inside mid, if the balls anywhere near him he's into it or a tackle, clean hands in tight, knows what he wants to do with it, strong mark against taller opponents, loves to back himself for a goal from fifty. I know, so wrong (I hope he doesn't like fire), but so right too.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
going to cop a bit for this but I used to watch a fair bit of WC back in the day (before I saw the light - came from a bball background like Pendelbury and jackson so what did I know) and watching the extended highlights and everything else I can find on him, Serong plays a lot like I remember of DKerr.

Inside mid, if the balls anywhere near him he's into it or a tackle, clean hands in tight, knows what he wants to do with it, strong mark against taller opponents, loves to back himself for a goal from fifty. I know, so wrong (I hope he doesn't like fire), but so right too.

Yeh I see that, hope he stays well clear of the white line!

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t necessarily think Carter should be Category B. He’s more likely to play games than Dillon O’Reilly and probably any player we pick tomorrow who isn’t a mature ager.

It’s all about what’s best for our list going forward. I’m not overly confident Meek is satisfactory back up to Darcy (by himself anyway - I want to option of Lobb the forward at all times) so I’d rather get the extra ruck.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t necessarily think Carter should be Category B. He’s more likely to play games than Dillon O’Reilly and probably any player we pick tomorrow who isn’t a mature ager.

It’s all about what’s best for our list going forward. I’m not overly confident Meek is satisfactory back up to Darcy (by himself anyway - I want to option of Lobb the forward at all times) so I’d rather get the extra ruck.
Carter looked miles off AFL standard to me in his games. Showed some glimpses but you wouldn't dare play him in a final. Agree O'Reilly is nowhere near it either, but we don't have the option of putting him as Cat B.

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I personally see Lobb as our first ruck for 2020

But do agree freo need a Ruckman

Is Nick Robertson from Brisbane worth a look too?

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t think we have any rookie spots, a few nominated upgrades... would like Freo to upgrade Butters And Leno to B Level

Have to say no idea about our second draft day pick up Frederick but he does look like if available he should have gone on the rookie list not the main list.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Im miles off being a doubter obviously, but ther reason why I like him more than most is because ive at least seen him play once in a full game. I saw one game on the afl app. Vic Country versus South Australia. Below is the summary of that game.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-28/u18-champs-vic-country-downs-reigning-champs-to-stay-unbeaten
Serong was fantastic. His kicking under pressure still needs work, but his long kicking in space is terrific at times. He is also great on his non preferred left foot. Had ten tackles in the game I saw and applies wonderful pressure. I know he has been compared to Grey, but at underage level he reminds me more of a cross between Devon Smith and Lachie Neal. He has Smith's terrific pressure, long kicking, decent speed and Neale's in and under work. Too early to tell if he will be able to do that at afl level, but the impressive thing Ive noticed is how hard he pushes himself to win contests at underage level. Also think he will end up a better athlete than plenty in the draft. He moves well now, but hell drop a bit of weight and become more explosive once he joins in afl training.

Meanwhile apparently Young was the most popular choice to be taken at pick 3 according to a survey done on the head afl recruiters with the names being withheld of who had what opinion. He can kick both sides as well .Actually so can Henry. Im seeing a pattern developing here.
Dual sidedness a real feature of our drafting this year.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very happy with our draft haul. We addressed list weaknesses by adding skill, speed and smarts and addressed positional needs by adding pace inside and small forwards.

Just need to top it off by adding Butters and Thomas.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think we either have to add some mature age KPD depth or some more outside run with the remaining spot.

With us getting Western and Walker next year I'm thinking KPD depth might be the best option. Although we might also run 1 short on the list with the intention of picking someone up in the SPP next year.

Back