2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetically if we held picks 5,6,20 and 24. And Henry was bid on at say pick 16, presumably we would use pick 20 to absorb most of the points, however in the case of a deficit, do we have to use 24 (which would then be downgraded) accordingly. Or can we cover the remaining deficit with a later pick?
We would have to use the next pick after that, but assuming that means we spent too many points, we then get back a draft pick to that value. henry being bidded on at 16 would be covered in full by pick 20 because of the discount, but in this hypothetical if he was bid on at pick 12, pick 20 would be taken away and pick 24 would be moved down the draft order to match the points (think it’d move down to about 30 or so)

I’d probably struggle taking Robertson that early. He’s more a 10-20 prospect for me. I had him in the Fremantle mix, if we had a pick in the 8-10 range and other players were gone.

I’d take Dylan Stephens and one of Lachie Ash or Brodie Kemp. Having two picks would enable us to take a risk on Kemp.

But working out a way to get Stephens, both Robertson and Taylor via a pick downgrade/trade and Henry would be even nicer.
How would Robertson fit into a midfield with Fyfe, Cerra, Blakely and Brayshaw?

Is he versatile to play on a back flank or forward flank when not playing in the midfield?

My dream draft would be Stephens, Rivers, Taylor and Henry

I’d probably struggle taking Robertson that early. He’s more a 10-20 prospect for me. I had him in the Fremantle mix, if we had a pick in the 8-10 range and other players were gone.

I’d take Dylan Stephens and one of Lachie Ash or Brodie Kemp. Having two picks would enable us to take a risk on Kemp.

But working out a way to get Stephens, both Robertson and Taylor via a pick downgrade/trade and Henry would be even nicer.

Pretty sure Rivers and Sharp will be ahead of Taylor...and should be. Chris I like Ash and Kemp is obviously a risk with a fairly bad knee injury to recover from, can you make a case for Will Gould? Is he quick enough? Where would he go in the draft?

Is he versatile to play on a back flank or forward flank when not playing in the midfield?

Yes please to many inside and not enough outside can hurt us just look at 2012 to 2015 (their was a stat where if stephen hill got 25 we won 90% of games which is a huge reliance).

Filling our list needs we should prioritise:

Outside midfielder in the absence of Hill and/or Langdon, stocks are low as is - Stephens.

General attacking defender to release Cerra and Blakely into the midfield - Sharp/Ash.

Small forward - Henry.

I like the look of Robertson, just feel with Brayshaw, Cerra, and Blakely spending more time there with Valente waiting for a spot he’d be surplus of needs.

#35 Isaiah Butters

In just his second game of WAFL Colts, Butters showed he belongs at the level with a lively performance against Subiaco. He collected 18 possessions, took six marks, laid three tackles, recorded three inside 50s and kicked two goals in a dazzling display.

I’d play Blakely on a wing, Fyfe can rotate forward more often. Can never have too many good midfielders.

I’m probably not as high on Rivers as others on here. Solid second round prospect as a half back.

Pretty sure Rivers and Sharp will be ahead of Taylor...and should be. Chris I like Ash and Kemp is obviously a risk with a fairly bad knee injury to recover from, can you make a case for Will Gould? Is he quick enough? Where would he go in the draft?

I’d have Taylor ahead of Sharp and Rivers. Think he has more potential and could be anything.

I could easily make a case for Gould. I love the way he plays and he has enough speed/power. But I don’t know whether we really need a third or fourth tall defender in the first round, even if he’d be an upgrade on what we have. I reckon he goes 12-20.

Can never have too many good midfielders.
Tell that to Melbourne, all these inside mids and not one of then can kick the ball inside 50 to the advantage of their forwards. A mix between inside bulls and classy outsiders is needed.

Blakely on a wing would be just as bad a Langdon IMO.

I’d play Blakely on a wing, Fyfe can rotate forward
more often. Can never have too many good midfielders.

I’m probably not as high on Rivers as others on here. Solid second round prospect as a half back.
As always Chris. I appreciated your input.

Maybe I am overeacting but I would love a lot more speed and good skills in our side.

I like the idea of Taylor, I can see him and Henry starting next year.

I think I started in around 2009, but the first few years were probably just based on videos clips and what the media were saying.

I'm a big fan of Luke Valente, so he's the one I hope takes over as that big body in the middle. And Liam Henry on a wing opposite Hill would be nice.

A combination of most mock drafters being Victorian, that contributes to a lot of the second and third tier players mentioned being Victorian because they simply haven't seen the others. But also the two Victorians clubs do tend to have a greater pool of talent.

WA and SA usually have a small core of really good players, but strong depth surrounding them. Not necessarily early round picks, but guys who win their own ball and play to the structure. And often bigger bodies and more experience in senior football than those from Victoria. Means the U18 games are usually close.
Hey Chris, what's the go with Chayce Black? Apparently Father/Son eligible. Can he play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's all the individual player highlights from the championships? I thought it's usually up by this time of year?

Can't find it on the AFL site yet Lach but just by including 'name' to 'afl prospect youtube' in my google search found some. Example Will Gould

Last edited:
Tell that to Melbourne, all these inside mids and not one of then can kick the ball inside 50 to the advantage of their forwards. A mix between inside bulls and classy outsiders is needed.

Blakely on a wing would be just as bad a Langdon IMO.

It also hasn’t got Geelong the ultimate success that everyone was predicting when they has Ablett, Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan running around and then added Kelly.

A functional midfield is needed that’s all. Its not wins you a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back