2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Even then no.

With bid picks, any picks after get eaten up. Most of the time, teams downgrade the next picks for surplus points. Unless, we do an eagle/swan hiding pick trade we don't be able to get Taylor. By the way, I think the AFL is looking to ban that type of trade.

Currently, we have picks 6,24. Taylor would be a massive reach at 6 and Robertson would be a reach as well.

If we trade Landon to the Demons for pick 19/20, that pick would be eaten up by Henry's bid.

If we lose S Hill to free agency that will net us pick 19 or 25, but we have the same issue with Henry's bid.

If we lose B Hill, that pick might be top 10. Again, that would be a massive reach for Taylor.

Therefore, Robertson and Henry are doing but Taylor is extremely unlikely.
In your scenario we end up with;
pick 6, 10 (BHill), 20 (Langdon), 21 (SHill) and 24.

Pick 6 (and a future pick sweetener) could be traded to GWS for picks 11 and 13 to get them ahead of the likely bid for their Academy kid, or to Geelong for Kelly.

Pick 10 for Robertson, then 3 picks in the 20 would get Henry and Taylor (and I think likely Jackson if we wanted).

In your scenario we end up with;
pick 6, 10 (BHill), 20 (Langdon), 21 (SHill) and 24.

Pick 6 (and a future pick sweetener) could be traded to GWS for picks 11 and 13 to get them ahead of the likely bid for their Academy kid, or to Geelong for Kelly.

Pick 10 for Robertson, then 3 picks in the 20 would get Henry and Taylor (and I think likely Jackson if we wanted).
ok, we have picks 10,11,13,20,21,24. GWS will get a bid before 10, therefore our picks will be 11,12,14,21,22,25

1. Henry gets a bid at 13, then we lose pick 14. Not great outcome. Taylor maybe gone by pick 21.
2. Henry gets a bid at 15, then we lose pick 21 and 22 but we gain pick 24. Again, Taylor might not be on the board.
3. Henry comes later than Taylor is gettable.

ok, we have picks 10,11,13,20,21,24. GWS will get a bid before 10, therefore our picks will be 11,12,14,21,22,25

1. Henry gets a bid at 13, then we lose pick 14. Not great outcome. Taylor maybe gone by pick 21.
2. Henry gets a bid at 15, then we lose pick 21 and 22 but we gain pick 24. Again, Taylor might not be on the board.
3. Henry comes later than Taylor is gettable.

I think you are expecting both Henry and Taylor to go significantly earlier than they will in reality, but who knows. But we will already have picked up Robertson and Sharp with 10 and 11 in a WA bonanza. All good.

Fremantle the last few years has involved a future 2nd rough or 3rd round pick to create trading room. I expect this year to be no different.

So what’s good in the draft this year and what’s not..

Key forwards are not that good.

Outside Mids: I like Stephens (SA), and for our second possibly Sharp ( he does seem to find the pill, but likes to keep his shorts clean).

Inside mids : Robertson should be our aim.

Utilities: I really like Kemp (VIC) and Rivers in that order.

Forwards: Henry is a no brainer and Taylor would be a cherry on the top but can’t see how we get both. Remember next year it’s Western in the NGA.

So currently we have 2 picks in the top 30..

That means only 2 of the above I suspect, unless Liam fails to get bid on til after our 2nd rounder..

What’s the odds on us trading in some more early picks!

Rookie picks: Garcia and Georgiades might be available due to current injuries!

I think you are expecting both Henry and Taylor to go significantly earlier than they will in reality, but who knows. But we will already have picked up Robertson and Sharp with 10 and 11 in a WA bonanza. All good.
They may go later, so you are quite right.

This draft is very different. The top 2 or 3 are one block and then it's very even after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club does expect him to go in the 1st round.

Have been told Taylor's off-field issues are a bit overblown as well.

Probable not early enough to affect our first pick..

Might slot in before our second. Hope not.

I suspect deals and trades to be done that will affect our 2nd round pick/s maybe even a 3rd round which we currently don’t have.

No info other than a hunch to confirm this though.

Chris25 - big fan of your work. Would like to know your thoughts on small WA mid Riley Garcia as a prospect? I watched the SA game recently and he was one of our best - quick, skillful and a good decision-maker. Any views on his draft range?

Chris25 - big fan of your work. Would like to know your thoughts on small WA mid Riley Garcia as a prospect? I watched the SA game recently and he was one of our best - quick, skillful and a good decision-maker. Any views on his draft range?

While not being anywhere near the same weight/strength, I thought Garcia's championships was comparable to Mitch Crowden's a couple of years ago. Similar numbers, did many of the same things. Garcia perhaps has more natural talent as a midfielder, but will probably face similar problems - the versatility needed when you're sub 180cm.

I think he comes into the mix from about pick 50 onwards. The ACL injury potentially discounts him even further.

While not being anywhere near the same weight/strength, I thought Garcia's championships was comparable to Mitch Crowden's a couple of years ago. Similar numbers, did many of the same things. Garcia perhaps has more natural talent as a midfielder, but will probably face similar problems - the versatility needed when you're sub 180cm.

I think he comes into the mix from about pick 50 onwards. The ACL injury potentially discounts him even further.

Cheers. I was unaware of the ACL injury. Shame for the young fella.

I'm working on a first round mock at the moment, and Fremantle's pick is looking like a tough one. With Dylan Stephens off the board, there's no real obvious pick....

1. Gold Coast - Matthew Rowell
2. Melbourne - Noah Anderson
3. Adelaide - Dylan Stephens
4. GWS (matched bid) - Tom Green
5. Sydney - Brodie Kemp
6. North Melbourne - Lachie Ash
7. St Kilda - Caleb Serong

At the moment I've got us slightly reaching for Deven Robertson as the next best midfielder, ahead of the more highly rated Hayden Young. Even if North and St Kilda finish above us, there's still no obvious pick. Perhaps Caleb Serong, I think Lachie Ash is a half back not an outside midfielder.

8. Fremantle - Deven Robertson
9. Hawthorn - Hayden Young
10. Port Adelaide - Cameron Taheny
11. Western Bulldogs - Fischer McAsey
12. Fremantle (matched bid) - Liam Henry
13. Carlton - Elijah Taylor

And I know some people are thinking it will come later, but I've got an early bid for Liam Henry. I think Port Adelaide and Carlton are the dangers, the positive is that I think Carlton will trade out their pick. But Port are a very strong chance in my opinion.

While for those interested in the WA kids, I have Luke Jackson going at #15 to GWS and Jeremy Sharp heading to the Eagles at #19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back