2019 Young Talent Time

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
They should definitely be running the eye over him. Good to hear, and thanks for the gossip.

I would expect Freo would be doing it Due Diligence on any players it expects to be available or possibly available around our first 2 draft picks.

Both in WA and interstate.. I also expect they already have a short list of who they would prefer.....

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
If kemp slips to us because of his knee we should take him.
Fremantle should take the most talented player avaliable.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If kemp slips to us because of his knee we should take him.
Fremantle should take the most talented player avaliable.

Jackson over Kemp. They are both taller (198cm versus 192cm) players that move well (but are not absolute speedsters), both good hands in the coal face, both not noted kicks, both project into lots of different roles but Jackson can play one more position (ie. ruck) in addition to the speculation to other roles and has a very good record at that one position, also has already a good record of getting large numbers of possessions, whereas Kemp is not an anything at this stage and will take time to have that position found (He looked best as a 3rd defender role) - I find we give Kemp bonus marks for "poise". Add on the bonus points for being WA and it is not even close - if you are a Vic club maybe your bonus points the other way tip you over the edge in the other direction?

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Jackson over Kemp. They are both taller (198cm versus 192cm) players that move well (but are not absolute speedsters), both good hands in the coal face, both not noted kicks, both project into lots of different roles but Jackson can play one more position (ie. ruck) in addition to the speculation to other roles and has a very good record at that one position, also has already a good record of getting large numbers of possessions, whereas Kemp is not an anything at this stage and will take time to have that position found (He looked best as a 3rd defender role) - I find we give Kemp bonus marks for "poise". Add on the bonus points for being WA and it is not even close - if you are a Vic club maybe your bonus points the other way tip you over the edge in the other direction?

There's also the argument that Jackson can only play that one position.

For me, there's no chance he develops into a 'midfielder' and a slim chance he develops into a key forward. Jackson is a ruckman (easily the best in the draft), who could probably be developed as a key defender if ruck doesn't work out. Don't get me wrong, I like Jackson. I think we've spoken about him being a Paddy Ryder type mobile ruck who could rest forward. But, he's a ruckman and that's almost a point against when it comes to being an early pick.

I'm certainly not as big a Kemp fan as some on BigFooty, but his midfield potential should see him picked first even with his injury. His 27 disposal match against SA was impressive, mostly because he was doing proper midfield work and not just flashing in and out because of his size.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There's also the argument that Jackson can only play that one position.

For me, there's no chance he develops into a 'midfielder' and a slim chance he develops into a key forward. Jackson is a ruckman (easily the best in the draft), who could probably be developed as a key defender if ruck doesn't work out. Don't get me wrong, I like Jackson. I think we've spoken about him being a Paddy Ryder type mobile ruck who could rest forward. But, he's a ruckman and that's almost a point against when it comes to being an early pick.

I'm certainly not as big a Kemp fan as some on BigFooty, but his midfield potential should see him picked first even with his injury. His 27 disposal match against SA was impressive, mostly because he was doing proper midfield work and not just flashing in and out because of his size.

Fair points Chris - I agree that being a ruck will count against any ruckman when it comes to draft order and I don't think we would ever see Jackson as a massive wingman or anything like that; but I think this draft will penalise clubs that pigeon-hole players more than normal. I think from more recent games, Jackson can be "different" in being a ruck who adds significant midfielder-like ability (not a goal kicking one, but a workhorse one) when the ball comes to ground.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very difficult to compare players that play different roles.

Big Midfilders win games.

Kemp at 192cm who can play key back is a better than a ruck.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s been a bit of Jackson talk in the top 5-10 over the last couple of months, and it hasn’t gone away. So we’ll see what happens. Just not sure I’d pull the pin with our first pick.

Surprised to hear that Chris and would like to know where it is coming from. Sharp is ahead of Jackson (despite some untrue suggestions he lacks effort) in recruiters eyes and I would think Robertson and Henry (may slide a little) and possibly Taylor too all ahead. That said I have Jackson about pick 14-16.

Agree with your rating Kemp though I would think most clubs hesitate with very early picks when it is something like an acl and a serious one at that.

Chris given we more than likely will have our first pick at say 8 to 10, and I know you rate Stephens, what three or four players would you think are in the mix for best available at that pick, presuming a mid?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
Had some thoughts are sydney a chance to take robertson i know he isnt rated at that position but sydney love those sorts of players.
Also given that we will already have henry in the first round i wonder if the club is more willing to take risks with its drafting.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Had some thoughts are sydney a chance to take robertson i know he isnt rated at that position but sydney love those sorts of players.
Also given that we will already have henry in the first round i wonder if the club is more willing to take risks with its drafting.

My unpopular thought is that Robertson is chance to go anywhere from probably pick 3 onwards. The reasoning behind that hypothesis is that based upon output to date at Nationals you will get at the least a player with outstanding character and onfield leader who has demonstrated that he can rack up the ball. If he can be tested at the combine I am told by others he will likely demonstrate good pace, agility and endurance. Recruiters have skin in the game and as such they regularly play to "not lose" with high end picks. We have just had a discussion about Kemp and Jackson and the reason I can see them dropping down the order is the possibility of them being busts, and that for mine is also true of many of the players being talked about in the Top 10. But Robertson's "low end" is that he is an untidy kick but probably still racks up the ball and puts the effort in to get the best out of himself - and we want a good pick for Ed Langdon?

And lastly (and not that importantly) he suits the needs of those clubs at those early points in the draft - would he add something / fit a need for Gold Coast's midfield? Absolutely.....same with Sydney, St Kilda, North....

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was thinking the same.
Can very much see Sydney taking him

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Something from the Sunday rag

Attachments

• 2C9CE6F8-7CD9-41D8-85B3-AE345A160182.png
    2C9CE6F8-7CD9-41D8-85B3-AE345A160182.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 222

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
The way the game is going (focus on speed, running and class), in the context of where our midfield stocks are at, I would almost be inclined to roll the dice on Sharp with an early pick. Guy always looks a class above. I’d overlook any perceived personality issues for a player of his clear skill.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
The way the game is going (focus on speed, running and class), in the context of where our midfield stocks are at, I would almost be inclined to roll the dice on Sharp with an early pick. Guy always looks a class above. I’d overlook any perceived personality issues for a player of his clear skill.
Not with our first but definitely if we get another late first/early second, I agree.
If wc get a chance at him I reckon they’d have no probs pulling the trigger

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not with our first but definitely if we get another late first/early second, I agree.
If wc get a chance at him I reckon they’d have no probs pulling the trigger

If I had to rank outside mids in this draft with run and carry.

Ash, and D Stephens would be above Sharp.

So I wouldn’t pull the trigger on sharp if the other 2 were still on the board.

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would seem a pretty obvious pick for Adelaide to pick up Dylan Stephens with their first pick (the pick they receive from Carlton), he picked up another 25 touches in the Norwood league team over the weekend. I think our first pick may be to late to get our hands on him.

I like the idea of getting Robertson as he would add lots of inside strength, ball winning ability and a natural born leader, but with our team already lacking skill i worry about picking him up. Who else would be a viable selection at our first pick?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would seem a pretty obvious pick for Adelaide to pick up Dylan Stephens with their first pick (the pick they receive from Carlton), he picked up another 25 touches in the Norwood league team over the weekend. I think our first pick may be to late to get our hands on him.

I like the idea of getting Robertson as he would add lots of inside strength, ball winning ability and a natural born leader, but with our team already lacking skill i worry about picking him up. Who else would be a viable selection at our first pick?
I hope Ash gets to us. I'm bullish on him being able to move to the wing or possibly the guts. Line breaking speed which he actually uses and seems a good kick.

1. Stephens (backing Chris' judgement)
2. Ash
3. Robertson

I hope Ash gets to us. I'm bullish on him being able to move to the wing or possibly the guts. Line breaking speed which he actually uses and seems a good kick.

1. Stephens (backing Chris' judgement)
2. Ash
3. Robertson
Thoughts on Young? Don’t think he has the midfield capacity or no chance of being at our pick?

I’m really big on Kemp personally but he’s probably not quite what we need

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thoughts on Young? Don’t think he has the midfield capacity or no chance of being at our pick?

I’m really big on Kemp personally but he’s probably not quite what we need
Bit of both. Feel like he'll be so good down back you wouldn't move him.

Yeah I was right into Kemp up until the knee. Don't want that baggage.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit of both. Feel like he'll be so good down back you wouldn't move him.

Yeah I was right into Kemp up until the knee. Don't want that baggage.

Kemp before ACL injury was my best utility...

Don’t know how bad his ACL is, no doubt medicos at the combine will be fully informed.

Re Young.., has some go to moments..

Not sure about his fitness component.

Freo typically likes the guys who do extremely well in the fitness and endurance testing at the combine.

For Freo that will sort the people out on the short lists. Has historically.

Freo’s game plan under Lyon requires 2 way runners.

Back