2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks

I meant that like if you use up the pick and there’s like 10points left to take off a pick they dont bother. That’s was my understanding but I might be wrong
My mistake. That would be sensible, handing out pick #73 over and over for 9 points would be silly

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Won’t be surprised if Carlton bid on him with their Adelaide pick as they need a small forward
Not a big issue. Adelaide will finish 8th or 9th. They played very well against WCE. Therefore will be pick 10,11 or 12 (GCS might get a mid range first round Priority pick set at 11) or 11/12 if GCS get the first PP at no. 1.

When I say we want an another early 1st round pick I’m saying pick 5-7 before our first pick which will likely be pick 7 or 8. So my point remains and we use a couple of second round picks to match a bid at 10-12. We effectively end up with 3 picks in the top 12 which is a win whatever way you look at things. Early 1st picks and 2nd round picks is the key.

If we gain Tim Kelly it will be for one of the top 10 picks which is fine and doesn’t change anything. Instead of 6,8,12 we end up with Tim Kelly, 8,12. I would expect Langdon if he in fact goes will get us a very early second rounder which combined with our existing 2nd pick will have quite a few points left over (after discount).

Ie say we have to use pick 21 (from Langdon trade) and pick 27 to bid match pick 12 (after discount will cost 1014 pts). 21 and 27 combined is 1581pts and therefore the net effect is 27 slides back to 33.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
That's a pretty basic way of looking at it.

the difference in likely career output of pick 60 v 100 is minimal but pick 100 is on a cheaper 1year contract.

It is basic. But why risk someone you want being taken, just to get someone on a one year contract. We shouldn’t be drafting anyone if we don’t think they deserve longer than a year anyway.

Hopefully money isn’t that much of an issue for us at the moment.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
I think unfortunately it's just not a good year to play the trade down for points game.

Just take the 20% discount on Henry and move on. I'd rather do that and see if we can get a couple of the WA kids in Rivers/Taylor/Jackson than just trying to maximise pure points value.

50/50 we do something weird instead

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem is if next years draft is actually terrible and everyone agrees then nobody is going to give you picks this year for next.

If they don't all agree then it's really just gambling. I'm bullish about us next year, but not nearly bullish enough (especially with our injury record and the real possibility of losing all our outside run this trade period) to think that gambling is a good idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It was an AFL.com article I believe. Best part is it says right there in the article that opinions on next year are divided.

I think from what I can see it looks patchy as the best players are perhaps not AFL level midfielders. In WA for example, at this point the players we expect to see are Logan McDonald who is a 193 cm forward who he a great contested mark and has kicked large bags at times (hopefully he grows a bit), Nathan O'Driscoll who is a whippy half back / wing who racks up possessions with a good kick (Davo suggested he could be a potential pick 1)and maybe Brandon Walker (Freo NGA) who is an athletic half back who can intercept mark and would be a good general defender who was great in the U16s. Joel Western looks like he might be the other midfielder to watch for WA but he is very undersized for AFL levels at 172cm or whatever....and this is a similar pattern for many other states. Good players for half back lines, difficult to place tall roles (Thilthorpe from SA who is a ruck), and tiny mids roles...

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
ive Long been keen for us to trade next years first.
There comes a time when youve got to load up/pull the trigger and that time for freo is now(even more so for ross)

It’s time to start consolidating the list

Get another decent junior in now in which case he’s got 12 mths AFL development in ahead of a puck next year.

But more so this year I think represents not only good value in the 10-30 range(where our future first would likely get us a pick )but the number of WA players available then with most all fitting desperate needs .

I want to see us bring a few of them through like we did in 2008 and wc have done a few times previously

ive Long been keen for us to trade next years first.
There comes a time when youve got to load up/pull the trigger and that time for freo is now(even more so for ross)

It’s time to start consolidating the list

Get another decent junior in now in which case he’s got 12 mths AFL development in ahead of a puck next year.

But more so this year I think represents not only good value in the 10-30 range(where our future first would likely get us a pick )but the number of WA players available then with most all fitting desperate needs .

I want to see us bring a few of them through like we did in 2008 and wc have done a few times previously
Yeah I think its time to pull the trigger here. WC and Brisbane did it really well, Carlton to a lesser extent (thought they are lucky Teague pulled them from the abyss).

If we are going to contend before Fyfe and Walters are doneski I dont think drafts after this years will be too relevant.

Back the list in, if as everyone says, next year was always the plan to be making finals and start looking like a threat and get an extra first this year.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I think its time to pull the trigger here. WC and Brisbane did it really well, Carlton to a lesser extent (thought they are lucky Teague pulled them from the abyss).

If we are going to contend before Fyfe and Walters are doneski I dont think drafts after this years will be too relevant.

Back the list in, if as everyone says, next year was always the plan to be making finals and start looking like a threat and get an extra first this year.

I like the idea as well.

Next year we look like having a good squad of NGA players.

Pull the trigger this year, load up in late points next year.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I like the idea as well.

It is a fair point about next year's NGA. In addition I am very keen to grab the likely WA players from this draft. I see it as building the club's culture, and also think that a lot of the boys available can fit our list needs quite well. I'm not suggesting an exclusive rule, but a WA bias in this draft could pay dividends.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Grainger-Barass looks very good for next year
Agree, he was awesome in the champs game i saw him in.

I like the idea as well.

Our nga stocks are b. walker (who had 7 possessions in the last Colts game i saw), the weaker twin, and 172cm western. Admittedly i am bullish about Joel due to his output this year and his pace but at that height he needs to be exceptional for afl.

My point is i dont think our first is going to be in play for nga next year based on what we know so far. If we want to trade in to 2019 thats fine but i doubt next year's nga factors into it.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
The vic pool is weak, that is why they say draft is not good. WA and SA full of good players.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a few gems in the late draft for Vic (Lachie Stapleton, Mitch Mellis, Zak Pretty, Angus Hanrahan, Adam Carafa) but I 100% agree. I think come mid season draft next year we'll see more 19 Year Old WA/SA/Allies players being drafted. Some blokes like Regan Clarke, Jai Jackson and Jake Pasini i see all being picked mid season if they miss out this year.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree, he was awesome in the champs game i saw him in.

Our nga stocks are b. walker (who had 7 possessions in the last Colts game i saw), the weaker twin, and 172cm western. Admittedly i am bullish about Joel due to his output this year and his pace but at that height he needs to be exceptional for afl.

My point is i dont think our first is going to be in play for nga next year based on what we know so far. If we want to trade in to 2019 thats fine but i doubt next year's nga factors into it.
Totally agree.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a few gems in the late draft for Vic (Lachie Stapleton, Mitch Mellis, Zak Pretty, Angus Hanrahan, Adam Carafa) but I 100% agree. I think come mid season draft next year we'll see more 19 Year Old WA/SA/Allies players being drafted. Some blokes like Regan Clarke, Jai Jackson and Jake Pasini i see all being picked mid season if they miss out this year.
I want the club to hold two rookie lists for pre-season and have a host of train on players.

Best two players get a rookie spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back