2019 Young Talent Time

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
What do you mean not sure how a ball winning inside mid fits with our team. We've been screaming for extra grunt work in the middle all year. Yeah we'll most likely lose 2 outside runners (Hill/Langdon) but that doesn't mean we still don't need inside mids.

It will also allow more rotation through the middle, even give Fyfe more rest up forward. In the end he'll fit perfectly in the side I feel.
Michael Barlow believes he is more an inside midfielder.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
50m kicks both left and right.

The thing for us, we have too inside mids and not enough outside mids.

With all the talk about Blakely, and Cerra going into the middle, and maybe getting Acres, not sure how we can fit them all.

Rotation is how we fit them all. Also I think Cerra would be nice to have outside and occasional inside.

Inside: Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Brayshaw
Outside: Shill, Walters, Cerra, Tucker

Centre square looks like: Darcy, Fyfe, Blakely, Cerra. Hill and Tucker on the wings. Mundy/Walters either forward or bench. Plenty of room for more rotation.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rotation is how we fit them all. Also I think Cerra would be nice to have outside and occasional inside.

Inside: Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Brayshaw
Outside: Shill, Walters, Cerra, Tucker

Centre square looks like: Darcy, Fyfe, Blakely, Cerra. Hill and Tucker on the wings. Mundy/Walters either forward or bench. Plenty of room for more rotation.
Conca, and Acres?

Tucker more suited to inside but can play outside due to his running ability but his spotting up targets is a concern.

Cerra has the skills for the outside but not the break away speed or running ability.

Sure, we can play Mundy and Walters and possibly Fyfe forward but that robs class in the middle.

The other guys are B trade talent, sure Brayshaw and Cerra can develop into A graders in a few years.

Not sure S Hill can play a whole year.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
50m kicks both left and right.

The thing for us, we have too inside mids and not enough outside mids.

With all the talk about Blakely, and Cerra going into the middle, and maybe getting Acres, not sure how we can fit them all.
I agree with you and plenty of inside mids would be fine if we are using the Ross role playing plan. Our uncontested play is where we fall
down.
We saw the same from the Dee's this year when their forward line was below par, Plan A only.
The issue I see with holding first round picks is that we have yet to see a GWS, Dee's, Blues dominate the competition. Fans get excited by the
Supposed best talent, but as 18 year olds they can go either way, it's why so many rookie players, later picks end up being steals.
Especially this draft where it goes deep and the talent is even after the first 5 picks, if pick 6 gave us two more picks in the second round I
Would go for it.
That and take the WA boys as a collection, already have chemistry.
Stephens, Gould put that in the bank, then go local, for me that would give this draft an A, and take the Awseome foursome from here.

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
I need to watch a few more videos of him.

I really feel we need more polish and I don't think he provides it.

I am not sure how he fits in a team with cerra, Brayshaw, Fyfe, Blakely

Strengths: Production, attack on the ball, contested ball winning, freakish reflexes on ground ball pickups, stoppage work, work rate, endurance, speed, agility, evasion, tackling, pressure around the ground, distribution by hand, moves the ball on quickly, courage, leadership on and off the field

Weaknesses: Scoreboard impact, ball use under pressure, unclear versatility

By the time Robertson hits his straps maybe Fyfe will be starting to decline.

Bell may be looking further forward.

I do think we could use an explosive inside mid to go with Cerra and Brayshaw though, and poor footskills these days is a real killer.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
What do you mean not sure how a ball winning inside mid fits with our team. We've been screaming for extra grunt work in the middle all year. Yeah we'll most likely lose 2 outside runners (Hill/Langdon) but that doesn't mean we still don't need inside mids.

It will also allow more rotation through the middle, even give Fyfe more rest up forward. In the end he'll fit perfectly in the side I feel.
Brayshaw and Cerra will play this role in 1 or 2 years.

I am not sure we need another right now, when we are crying out for forward flank, winger, forward pocket.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
By the time Robertson hits his straps maybe Fyfe will be starting to decline.

Bell may be looking further forward.

I do think we could use an explosive inside mid to go with Cerra and Brayshaw though, and poor footskills these days is a real killer.
Ideally we would want all 3 of Fyfe, Walters, Mundy playing more minutes forward. It's why I would love Bolton in
The team rotating with Sonny.
Need big preseasons from Tucker, Valente, Sturt, and maybe another coach will turn many of our flankers into
a mid, winger.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Brayshaw and Cerra will play this role in 1 or 2 years.

I am not sure we need another right now, when we are crying out for forward flank, winger, forward pocket.
Ben Sokol(late pick)Stephens, Henry plus Robertson and maybe Rivers if we split a pick would be a solid draft covering all you requested

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ben Sokol(late pick)Stephens, Henry plus Robertson and maybe Rivers if we split a pick would be a solid draft covering all you requested
Not sure Sokol is still interested in AFL at the top level? But if he nominates a rookie spot could be the deal.
Taylor with Henry, but I would be disappointed if we don't use our own backyard to build symmetry.
Must be at least 7 WA boys that will get drafted, with Robertson, Henry, Jackson touted first round, leaves
plenty of options later.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure Sokol is still interested in AFL at the top level? But if he nominates a rookie spot could be the deal.
Taylor with Henry, but I would be disappointed if we don't use our own backyard to build symmetry.
Must be at least 7 WA boys that will get drafted, with Robertson, Henry, Jackson touted first round, leaves
plenty of options later.
Love to get the WA kids but how without reaching too much or reducing the Henry bargain?

GWS will only upgrade their first rounds for pick 2 or 3.

We could trade pick 6 to Port for picks 9,27.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love to get the WA kids but how without reaching too much or reducing the Henry bargain?

GWS will only upgrade their first rounds for pick 2 or 3.

We could trade pick 6 to Port for picks 9,27.
Keep only one first rounder, Henry on points, 2 second rounders fingers crossed and take others 3rd, 4th round.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Keep only one first rounder, Henry on points, 2 second rounders fingers crossed and take others 3rd, 4th round.
Let’s look at it.

B Hill for pick 5.
Langdon for pick 20.
Already have picks 6,24.

That gives us picks 5,6,20,24.

Picks 5,6 are too early for the WA kids.

Depends on the Henry bid. He goes early we lose both picks 20 and 24, with another pick coming back in the third round.

He goes late, we keep pick 24.

Maximum, WA kids is 2 including Henry.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Let’s look at it.

B Hill for pick 5.
Langdon for pick 20.
Already have picks 6,24.

That gives us picks 5,6,20,24.

Picks 5,6 are too early for the WA kids.

Depends on the Henry bid. He goes early we lose both picks 20 and 24, with another pick coming back in the third round.

He goes late, we keep pick 24.

Maximum, WA kids is 2 including Henry.
Unless we split pick 6 for 2 picks in the teens, guess it depends where our targets are rated

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
I would prefer Gould, Kemp or Ash over Robertson.

I really think there skills when they have the ball is something we need.
We will be having the same convo in 2 years about them going home being Vic metro kids*

* except Gould

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unless we split pick 6 for 2 picks in the teens, guess it depends where our targets are rated
GWS wants pick 2 or 3.

Brisbane has picks 15,19.

West Coast has picks 14, 22.

Let’s go with the lions trade.

Then we have picks 5,15,19,20,24

Pick 5 goes on Stephens

Picks 15,19,20 goes Henry and Two of Robertson/Sharp/Rivers/Jackson

Pick 24 on Taylor

Nets us Stephens, Henry, 2 WA kids, and Taylor.

Would the Lions want to do the trade?

They need a ruck, Jackson is in the 14-20 range.

They like Vic country kids, and need an inside monster like Kemp. Pick 6 gives them access to Kemp,Young,Flanders,and Serong.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Robertson pick would be in line with placing a high value on character, although we’re screaming out for skill and pace. Valente and Robertson captain of their state teams, Andy oozing leadership, Sturt and Cerra cleanskins/not dickheads.

and we will need a few hard nut talented mongrels for the leaders to lead lol, "uncouth protectors" so to speak.;)

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Knightmares take on Robertson

8. Deven Robertson

Best position:
Inside midfield

Height, weight: 182cm, 80kg

Recruited from: Perth

Projected draft range: 5-25

Plays like: Adam Treloar

August Rankings: 8

Rationale: Nephew of Darren Glass, Robertson is one of the most productive ball winning midfielders in the pool. Winning the Larke Medal for the best player during the Under-18 Championships, Robertson was as consistent and influential as any during the carnival.

Strengths: Production, attack on the ball, contested ball winning, freakish reflexes on ground ball pickups, stoppage work, work rate, endurance, speed, agility, evasion, tackling, pressure around the ground, distribution by hand, moves the ball on quickly, courage, leadership on and off the field

Weaknesses: Scoreboard impact, ball use under pressure, unclear versatility

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
plenty of options later.
He is going to the combine

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
click here for freo's drafting history
If you look at our history we had consistent hits every year throughout 1999 to 2006 period then a cracker 2008 then fyfe thats about it.

then in 2013 alex pearce
2014 blakely, hughes and langdon (who is leaving), weller (who has left)
2015 tucker
2016 mccarthy, hamling, logue, darcy, cox, ryan, duman and hill (whos leaving) probably our best draft/trade haul ever
2017 brayshaw, cerra, matera, wilson, switta and hugh dixon i feel like everyone else would struggle to be best 22 in a top four finishing team so i omitted giro, banfield and tom north.
2018 valente, sturt, hogan, conca and lobb.

Over our history we have never had such a concentration(2016-2018) of hits the problem is we haven't given them time to develop or gel. If we nail this draft I would have never felt so positive for freo's future.
I think our late 2000s rebuild seemed better than it was because it was carried by the drafting hits from 1999- 2006. We do not have the depth of post 25 talent freo have from the late 2000s rebuild this means the young ones seem exposed in the current rebuild and not as good as what they will grow to become. In other words i think our young talent is better this time around compared to the late 2000s rebuild.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
plenty of options later.

He is doing the WA combine so he is presumably interested, and presumably some teams are half interested.

Back