2019 Young Talent Time

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
click here for freo's drafting history
If you look at our history we had consistent hits every year throughout 1999 to 2006 period then a cracker 2008 then fyfe thats about it.

then in 2013 alex pearce
2014 blakely, hughes and langdon (who is leaving), weller (who has left)
2015 tucker
2016 mccarthy, hamling, logue, darcy, cox, ryan, duman and hill (whos leaving) probably our best draft/trade haul ever
2017 brayshaw, cerra, matera, wilson, switta and hugh dixon i feel like everyone else would struggle to be best 22 in a top four finishing team so i omitted giro, banfield and tom north.
2018 valente, sturt, hogan, conca and lobb.

Over our history we have never had such a concentration(2016-2018) of hits the problem is we haven't given them time to develop or gel. If we nail this draft I would have never felt so positive for freo's future.
I think our late 2000s rebuild seemed better than it was because it was carried by the drafting hits from 1999- 2006. We do not have the depth of post 25 talent freo have from the late 2000s rebuild this means the young ones seem exposed in the current rebuild and not as good as what they will grow to become. In other words i think our young talent is better this time around compared to the late 2000s rebuild.

Great post. I really like posts that backup my line of thought without me having to go do the hard work :D.

IMO the trick to drafting and trading is simply do it consistently over an extended period. I think you should go for A grade trading at times but shouldn’t do it every year as you’ll end up with a bunch of stars surrounded by spuds as trading for A graders usually weakens your draft hand. See last year.

We traded well last year and I hope we go for a strong draft this year as the draft is always the cheapest way to get A grade talent that will compliment the list above.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
Great post. I really like posts that backup my line of thought without me having to go do the hard work :D.

IMO the trick to drafting and trading is simply do it consistently over an extended period. I think you should go for A grade trading at times but shouldn’t do it every year as you’ll end up with a bunch of stars surrounded by spuds as trading for A graders usually weakens your draft hand. See last year.

We traded well last year and I hope we go for a strong draft this year as the draft is always the cheapest way to get A grade talent that will compliment the list above.
Cheers
But just finished watching brisbane and it takes time.

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even though I've been thinking we need more speed and skills in the forward half and midfield all year (even more so if we lose hill and Langdon) I still find myself coming back to wanting Ash, Gould and/or Rivers in the draft.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sydney took Robertson

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some rum into me and a lot pissy

We need speed, skills and willingness to make positive risks ( yes, their are dumb risks).

Stephens is the one we should be looking at. Great skills and ability to run. Sure, he looks bad if he isn’t getting good ball from inside.

The massive but is that we beat Essendon on the in side but had nothing on the outside.

It’s all about balance, too inside isn’t good and too outside is bad as while.

In my view, there isn’t the quality inside midfield needs but more honest good foot soldiers.

Stephens is the man, great stats in SANFL because the quality of inside ball coming out to the outside vs the national championships.

People will get frustrated with him, because he needs to be feed. Again, it’s all about balance.

Nter1

Debutant
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some rum into me and a lot pissy

We need speed, skills and willingness to make positive risks ( yes, their are dumb risks).

Stephens is the one we should be looking at. Great skills and ability to run. Sure, he looks bad if he isn’t getting good ball from inside.

The massive but is that we beat Essendon on the in side but had nothing on the outside.

It’s all about balance, too inside isn’t good and too outside is bad as while.

In my view, there isn’t the quality inside midfield needs but more honest good foot soldiers.

Stephens is the man, great stats in SANFL because the quality of inside ball coming out to the outside vs the national championships.

People will get frustrated with him, because he needs to be feed. Again, it’s all about balance.

You're pissed and I'm hallucinating. Stephens could be very damaging. I'm warming to him.

If we were to have picks 6 and 7 (assuming GC get a priority pick), my preference would probably be for Stephens and Robertson. Two very impressive options and reckon they fill a need. Someone like Jarvis Pina later in the draft would be a good get off the half back

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we were to have picks 6 and 7 (assuming GC get a priority pick), my preference would probably be for Stephens and Robertson. Two very impressive options and reckon they fill a need. Someone like Jarvis Pina later in the draft would be a good get off the half back
Has to be Stephen's with our first. He reminds me of hill.... and robertson with our first 2 if available. Imagine how well hawthorn would have done with Tom Mitchell playing. That is who robertson will end up like.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has to be Stephen's with our first. He reminds me of hill.... and robertson with our first 2 if available. Imagine how well hawthorn would have done with Tom Mitchell playing. That is who robertson will end up like.
Sharp could be the big bodied winger, that is available later and has huge upside. Like Stephens he has played
League, and he is a good receiver.
For all the talk of Hill, great player, Gaff over the distance has become A grade and he was touted as only outside
He has worked hard on his game, and if Sharp has the desire to learn, work ethic, a guy his size could be
Unstoppable.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dale can you tell me/us who the WA ruck draft bolter is from the article in the West
Callum Jamieson 19 playing Colts (overage) for Claremont and U18 rep. 200 cm ruck forward. Playing for Claremont V Peel Colts now, anyone watching?

WAFL state talent manager Adam Jones said "We didn't get to showcase him in the ruck as much as we would've liked (in the championsips) because of Luke's dominance, but he's really showing what he's capable of in the Colts."

One of 16 West Aussies invited to the national combine in October.

Back