2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine Henry is one of the best players in the draft; if we have to spend pick 7, then pick 7 it should be. Getting tricky because "we want a bargain" will only bring us ruin.
You’ve definitely much better gauge on these things than me ysaye so I’ll take your word for it and I agree some seem more preoccupied with trying to get a “deal “ for Henry by wanting to alter our entire drafting around this rather than just paying what his worth and taking the leagues 20% discount as we should and in all likelihood will.

There is the flip side to this tho and that is if the club definitely doesn’t rate him around that 7-10 range (think “reaching” a little is ok)and he is nominated around this mark then I’d hope the club would then have the fortitude to pass and continue on with their outlined drafting strategy (obviously then looking at alternative player to replace what attributes Henry would bring but cheaper -ala Taylor or taheny)

Reckon he strikes me as a Geelong type player and gone at 17
Geelong takes the players I want every single ****ing year.

Nathan Kreuger - tick, Esava Ratugolea - tick, Quinton Narkle - tick, Jordan Clark - tick, Brandan Parfitt - tick, Tim Kelly - tick, Gryan Miers - tick

Very glad they don't have earlier picks this year - although I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin my party yet again.

Geelong takes the players I want every single ****ing year.

Nathan Kreuger - tick, Esava Ratugolea - tick, Quinton Narkle - tick, Jordan Clark - tick, Brandan Parfitt - tick, Tim Kelly - tick, Gryan Miers - tick

Very glad they don't have earlier picks this year - although I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin my party yet again.

The Dogs do it to me. But only because we overlook genuine homegrown talent.

Yeah I’m the same ,a very geelong like pick is rivers.
Tho I’m more worried about them picking sharp at 14- another that screams Geelong to me .

Geelong is looking very stagnent and needs a bit of a pick me up in ball movement... so suspect they have a need for speed..might also need a bit of grunt on the inside due to ageing midfield. IMHO

...Henry is a wingman. Calling him a forward is like calling Joel Western a forward, he's a midfielder.

I get that they are both flashy, creative guys but in my opinion their best work is done up the field, on the ball.
Yep you only need to look at his stats in colts and U18 Carnival - not a lot of goals.

Not even bothering man, sounds like you have some things going on with Carlton/SoS, and that's not what I came here for. Peace.

Aren't Flanders/Serong mid/fwds? Weightman is the reason I was inquiring TBH. Would actually be keen to shift down to his probable drafting range and/or bring our other picks up a bit.

And yep, wouldn't be shocked to see you guys trade your Pick 10 past us and Melbourne.
Flanders is more fwd. Henry is more mid. Serong 50%\50% from what I’ve seen.

WTG is right and I’m sure he has no issues with SOS. You can paint it whichever way you like but not achieving the trade for Papley is massive (huge) fail. You have a high quality fwd who wants to come to club, wants to be closer to family and would absolutely kill it for Carlton and then you don’t get the trade done after 10 friggin days of stuffing around. Oh that’s right you got 34 year old club favourite back and you’ll get lucky with Martin in PSD but listening to Jason Dover last night Martin is pretty stressed and upset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton probably wanted a pick back
Ok maybe. I stopped following it after a few days. Last I heard was that Carlton were happy to give pick 9 but that Sydney might not let Papley go if the Daniher thing fell through. Who knows really. I know they refused to give up 9 for 15 and Martin.

Unless we have a significant WAG development program already in place, I suggest we go for home grown WA talent this year.

Otherwise, in guessing what pick we take the non-WA player, we should also similarly take a guess at what picks we might get for them when they leave after reaching their peak and maximum value (the good ones anyways).

Didn’t think we’re that keen
grown 2cm?

I'd be pretty happy with Jackson, Robertson and Henry as our first three picks. Seeing Naughton carve it up after being taken at 9 has been a bit of a kick in the guts. I'd hate for that to be Jackson in 2 years time for someone else. Particularly with the talk over Darcy lately.

Unless we have a significant WAG development program already in place, I suggest we go for home grown WA talent this year.

Otherwise, in guessing what pick we take the non-WA player, we should also similarly take a guess at what picks we might get for them when they leave after reaching their peak and maximum value (the good ones anyways).
Pick 7 Robertson would be a reach. The good thing that around thstit’s only SA and country Vic kids.

Pick 10 Happy to get Rivers or Robertson.

If we want to go WA only maybe downgrade our pick 7 to picks 9 or 11.

Seems like it's almost exclusively WA players that are being talked about in this thread, but we've always drafted best available. And if you look at our picks, it's questionable that the best available would be a WA player.

Luke Jackson - top 10
Deven Robertson - 10 to 15
Jeremy Sharp - 15 to 25
Elijah Taylor - 15 to 30
Trent Rivers - 20 to 30
Mitch Georgiades - 25 to 40

The value selections from WA will be mid to late round selections like Jai Jackson, Trey Ruscoe, Callum Jamieson, Ben Johnson and Jake Pasini. And assuming we get two picks in before a Liam Henry bid, it seems unlikely we'd have more than one pick after the first round.

Seems like it's almost exclusively WA players that are being talked about in this thread, but we've always drafted best available. And if you look at our picks, it's questionable that the best available would be a WA player.

Luke Jackson - top 10
Deven Robertson - 10 to 15
Jeremy Sharp - 15 to 25
Elijah Taylor - 15 to 30
Trent Rivers - 20 to 30
Mitch Georgiades - 25 to 40

The value selections from WA will be mid to late round selections like Jai Jackson, Trey Ruscoe, Callum Jamieson, Ben Johnson and Jake Pasini. And assuming we get two picks in before a Liam Henry bid, it seems unlikely we'd have more than one pick after the first round.

What is your dream scenario for us Chris?

And what would you consider if not a dream but still a win for us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back