2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you have a bit of a basketball background and can understand that it's an unforgivable lack of awareness if each defender just assumes a kick will come off the right foot and doesn't pressure the left for lefties.
I do have a basketball background.

Coached for a number of years.

Left and right didn't come into it, as I taught my players to force baseline and keep any drives out of the middle.

Football is a different game.

Footballers do lack awareness.

Last edited:
I think you have a bit of a basketball background and can understand that it's an unforgivable lack of awareness if each defender just assumes a kick will come off the right foot and doesn't pressure the left for lefties.
Don't want offend the basketball fans here but obtaining proficiency in passing a bball 8 metres with your non preferred hand is possibly a little easier than learning to kick a footy 40 on the run with your opposite.

Going to cover your opponents right foot is natural. If you don't (I.e. you don't make an assumption which way they're going) you're making it easier for them to get round you.
You basically have to know someone is left footed, and then it's an intellectual excersize rather than pure habit. (Which is slower and some people are bad at etc.)

They may be better kicks on their left foot but how are they when kicking on their right? Some would be, but not that many are any good at all I'd guess

Left footers should be easier to defend for right handers as you are naturally going to the right and smother to the right.

Is it a lack of awareness that defenders don't realise they're on a leftie and could take away the left and force to their non preferred right but instead let them get past to kick on their left?

It’s 3% better across both feet is the stat

Don't want offend the basketball fans here but obtaining proficiency in passing a bball 8 metres with your non preferred hand is possibly a little easier than learning to kick a footy 40 on the run with your opposite.

Going to cover your opponents right foot is natural. If you don't (I.e. you don't make an assumption which way they're going) you're making it easier for them to get round you.
You basically have to know someone is left footed, and then it's an intellectual excersize rather than pure habit. (Which is slower and some people are bad at etc.)
No "offense" at all.

Dribbling,shooting and passing with your non dominated hand is easier than kicking. Hand passing would be on par.

No "offense" at all.

Dribbling,shooting and passing with your non dominated hand is easier than kicking. Hand passing would be on par.
No "offence" taken but I was talking "defence". I think defence of left footed players in AFL is poor, where many get their left foot kicks away when often they can't or won't kick on their right. I am questioning where players have a lack of awareness as to whether the player is a leftie, becasue they should be easier to defend.

Especially compared to bball when a dominant left hander would never get past an aware defender.

Draft guru Kevin Sheehan says the 2019 draft class stacks up with the highly touted group from 2018
Jon RalphHerald Sun
Sunday, 20 October 2019 2:33PM

Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson will join the Gold Coast Suns in the draft.
Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson will join the Gold Coast Suns in the draft. Credit: News Corp Australia, Tony Gough

Footy’s draft guru Kevin Sheehan says this year’s draft crop could end up just as strong as the so-called “superdraft” which produced stars including Sam Walsh, Ben King and Connor Rozee.
And AFL talent manager Sheehan says there are signs clubs are working hard to uncover the next Sydney Stack or Marlion Pickett as they finally try to support players with chequered pasts.
The national draft will be held over two days on November 27-28, with the pre-season and rookie drafts to be held immediately afterwards on either November 28 or 29.
This year’s draft is so well stocked with midfield prospects that as few as five key position players could be taken in the top 40 selections.
Oakleigh’s Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson will head to Gold Coast as the first two picks, Rowell having been best on ground in the past two NAB League Grand Finals and this year’s clash against Casey.
But while some recruiters have talked down this draft’s top-end talent, Sheehan believes it starts with real quality then evens out between picks 20-60.
Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson will join the Gold Coast Suns in the draft. Credit: News Corp Australia, Tony Gough
“I always pick 40 players and I had no trouble getting a pretty good 40,” he said.
“I could pick 20 quality kids straight away and then I had another 40 I could have included.
“Compare them to the top 20 from last year, kids like Walsh and Rozee, I think it’s in the same boat. These kids in the top 20 are pretty strong.
“Then in the next 40 it’s very even, so the player you want to pick at 21 might be the same as 41 or 61.
“Of those top 20, more than 15 would have been All Australian mid-year, so their form has been rock solid through the whole season and national championships.”
Richmond secured premiership hero Pickett in the mid-season draft after a jail stint early in his football career and Stack over summer after all 18 clubs overlooked him in the national and rookie drafts.
MORE AFL
“Clubs are talking to some kids this year who have some pretty well-known challenges in front of them,” Sheehan said.
“They should be backing in their system and believing those kids can overcome the challenges if they have the talent. Last week they did that at the South Australian and WA state screenings, they are digging deep and not being put off by anything that might have scared them prior to last year’s draft.”

Draft guru Kevin Sheehan says the 2019 draft class stacks up with the highly touted group from 2018
Jon RalphHerald Sun
Sunday, 20 October 2019 2:33PM

Footy’s draft guru Kevin Sheehan says this year’s draft crop could end up just as strong as the so-called “superdraft” which produced stars including Sam Walsh, Ben King and Connor Rozee.
And AFL talent manager Sheehan says there are signs clubs are working hard to uncover the next Sydney Stack or Marlion Pickett as they finally try to support players with chequered pasts.
The national draft will be held over two days on November 27-28, with the pre-season and rookie drafts to be held immediately afterwards on either November 28 or 29.
This year’s draft is so well stocked with midfield prospects that as few as five key position players could be taken in the top 40 selections.
Oakleigh’s Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson will head to Gold Coast as the first two picks, Rowell having been best on ground in the past two NAB League Grand Finals and this year’s clash against Casey.
But while some recruiters have talked down this draft’s top-end talent, Sheehan believes it starts with real quality then evens out between picks 20-60.
“I always pick 40 players and I had no trouble getting a pretty good 40,” he said.
“I could pick 20 quality kids straight away and then I had another 40 I could have included.
“Compare them to the top 20 from last year, kids like Walsh and Rozee, I think it’s in the same boat. These kids in the top 20 are pretty strong.
“Then in the next 40 it’s very even, so the player you want to pick at 21 might be the same as 41 or 61.
“Of those top 20, more than 15 would have been All Australian mid-year, so their form has been rock solid through the whole season and national championships.”
Richmond secured premiership hero Pickett in the mid-season draft after a jail stint early in his football career and Stack over summer after all 18 clubs overlooked him in the national and rookie drafts.
MORE AFL
“Clubs are talking to some kids this year who have some pretty well-known challenges in front of them,” Sheehan said.
“They should be backing in their system and believing those kids can overcome the challenges if they have the talent. Last week they did that at the South Australian and WA state screenings, they are digging deep and not being put off by anything that might have scared them prior to last year’s draft.”
Based on this I wouldn’t be opposed to trading next years first/seconds for another first round pick this year.

There’s enough talent and WA prevalence to warrant stacking our list with as many as Robertson, Jackson, Henry, Rivers, Sharp, Taylor, Georgiades, Garcia as possible in my opinion.

Last edited:
Based on this I wouldn’t be opposed to trading next years first/seconds for another first round pick this year.

There’s enough talent and WA prevalence to warrant stacking our list with as many as Robertson, Jackson, Henry, Rivers, Sharp, Taylor, Georgiades, Garcia as possible in my opinion.
Yes my thinking as well if the option comes up.

Only for top 10 though.

I’d get into Carlton:

9> 2020 1st
(We can give them pick 69 to sweeten the deal - that pick will move forward quite a bit if not used early in the ND for pts).

We would have a nice draft hand with: 8,10, 11, 14 (Henry), 79 (pass)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do have a basketball background.

Coached for a number of years.

Left and right didn't come into it, as I taught my players to force baseline and keep any drives out of the middle.

Football is a different game.

Footballers do lack awareness.

Put them in a yard of 100 feisty horned merino rams ....and they will learn awareness fairly quickly. :cool:

I'm bored at work, so it's time for another draft...

I think GWS will trade up to #3, with Melbourne dropping back to #6. Luke Jackson would maybe be a reach, but I think they'll have identified him as a need and want to get in ahead of a Tom Green bid. Plus there are only so many young midfielders GWS can bring in. And then saving us from an early Liam Henry bid will be Port Adelaide trading #13 and #30 to Melbourne for their original first round pick #9 in order to get Fischer McAsey.
nice. A couple of questions;
Do we risk not getting Stephens by targeting him second, especially with Port holding a pick in between our first two?
Is there a potential live trade for us using 22 and a future second if a Henry bid comes a little later?

Would do future 1st for pick 9 instantly, not sure Carlton would be keen though

If things fall the right way and we may be keen on a 4th pick the following suggestion or like;

Brisbane currently have 2020 picks 1,3,3, wondering about their 2020 Academy draft possibilities, they have quite a few entering at the beginning of the year.

If Henry has not been bid on prior to 16 they may trade -
no bid up to 15incl. so offer Brisbane 22 and 2020 1st - for 16, 48,52,55,72 and 2020. What we don't use once the Henry bid comes up (if reasonable pts left) we try to exchange for 2020 something.

Don't think Hawthorn, Port, Bulldogs, Geelong would be interested but GCS might do something though we would have to find our extra picks to meet the Henry bid from elsewhere.

Am I the only one with practically no interest in Jackson?

I feel like people are getting carried away with his potential. I think, he'll end up in no-mans-land. Too short to ruck and genuine midfielders will just run off him.

First pick for me is a coin flip between Stephens and Flanders. Stephens for obvious reasons. Flanders looks like an absolute bull, starting forward and getting more midfield time as his tank grows. Could even see him starting in the centre at bounces, then drifting forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back