2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Something eats up points associated with a bid for Henry anyway...it is a matter of: More picks that still give us talent while also preserving all our 2020 picks (no deficit). Would prefer Young, Henry re bid, Robertson and Sharp (and points and picks intact) than to Young and Serong/Stephens and Henry and deficit

Robertson isn't getting past Gold Coast, nor are we getting Young in that scenario either (Geelong are only trading up to get ahead of Adelaide)

We would have 8, henry, 17 and 24 and no deficit next year
Plus later bids that would of been eaten up if there was a bid on Henry around 10-14 previous

I guess it all depends on who and where we rate the top players

Plus later bids that would of been eaten up if there was a bid on Henry around 10-14 previous

I guess it all depends on who and where we rate the top players
If Stephens and Young (or Ash or Flanders) are both there at our picks, I would stick with that. If one of those is gone I would consider the pick swap.

A bid at 10 from Carlton for Henry would require 1116 points and pick 15 (because of Green) is worth 1112, if we took the extra 4 points from pick 18 where would the remainder go? Into next year or a pick this year? If we lost both 14 and 17 (temporarily) to a bid for Henry, it wouldn't really be worth it

Something eats up points associated with a bid for Henry anyway...it is a matter of: More picks that still give us talent while also preserving all our 2020 picks (no deficit). Would prefer Young, Henry re bid, Robertson and Sharp (and points and picks intact) than to Young and Serong/Stephens and Henry and deficit
This is in essence what Cal was insinuating last night. If McAsey is still on the board after Pick 6 (crows pick Stephens) then Geelong will come very hard at freo and blues pick 7-9 or 8-10 (green bid). As you mention, one way to prevent points deficit is to simply evaluate & then pick Henry ourselves or have a pick that is near enough to when the exact bid falls. Would 14 do the job? Maybe. Would we get Robertson then at 17? or vice versa? Maybe. Seems risky and could easily backfire. Interesting thought though.

Belly might just go safe and want to choose a couple of midfield guns high up top 10. I would be happy with Flanders, Cerong, Robertson, Stephens at 7-8 as would most people and get our midfield unit batting 10-12 deep. Imagine Brayshaw, Cerra, Flanders, Robertson, Valente getting to work with Fyfe, Conca, Walters, Barra. Throw in your Blakely, Tucker & Banfield into the mix.

A bird in the hand, is worth 2 in the bush
Not if the two birds combined equal more than the one. Young and Stephens appear (to me at least) to be must haves. Serong doesn't. Freo don't see much difference between Serong and Robertson. So having Robertson (= to Serong) and then throw in a outside jet like Sharp would seem a better option.

could we trade back on both picks in that case (before matching). Trade 7 + 49 back for 14 + 17, then trade 8 + 58 back for 15 + 20, then we use 14 to match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robertson is not getting a lot of respect in the media...just named on the bench on AFL.com best draftee team. He seems a very driven young man anyway, but I wonder if stuff like that would drive him even more to be a top tier AFL player

The only trade I would do at this stage is pick 8 to Carlton for pick 9 if we got something very good out of it like pick 24 from Geelong and can’t split Stephens and serong. Carlton can then stuff around with Geelong if they like but I wouldn’t want to trade out of the top 10. There is a reason why everyone is desperate to get in this year.

Carlton trade up, bid on Henry which we match then they take Young...
the suggestions I have seen are that Carlton don't have much to trade up with (next 2019 pick 43), but potentially open to trade down if the player they want (Stephens) is gone and McAsey still available to split for a couple of highish picks e.g. with Geelong/GC/Hawks

I understand it's fun to hash out possible trades and we're all filling in the time as we eagerly wait for the draft but can't see it happening.

It'd basically be lunacy to trade down and I think we can pretty much guarantee it won't happen if any 2 of Young, Stephens, Serong or Robertson are on the board at 7 and 8 (although I doubt we'd take both Serong and Robertson).

It's risky business and we'd need a bloody ripper deal and a mountain of luck to guarantee the picks aren't chewed by a Henry bid.

Knightmare has 12 West Aussies going in his phantom including Warner going at 34, one pick ahead of Sharp.

Has a Daniel Mott going to us late in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back