2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

If Carlton trade ahead of us to grab Young we are going to need do some punching on with them.

I'd almost suggest the punching should be done to the team that trades Carlton the pick. If it's Adelaide for example, and their expecting McAsey at Carlton's pick 9, we could take Stephens at 7 then look at trading 8 to someone chasing McAsey.

I'm still going Young and Stephens (if Adelaide go McAsey). If Sydney or Adelaide go Stephens then I'm not sure what we'll do - probably Serong.

Sneaky Bell Theorem #1027

I have a feeling Carlton want Stephens so us talking up Serong (over Stephens), making them think he'd slip to them, might dissuade them from trying to trade up in front of us to get him.

I'd almost suggest the punching should be done to the team that trades Carlton the pick. If it's Adelaide for example, and their expecting McAsey at Carlton's pick 9, we could take Stephens at 7 then look at trading 8 to someone chasing McAsey.
Geelong?

Yeah I’m not too big on Flanders either-everyone goes on about how he’s a Christian petracca type-well petracca May have the hype but he certainly doesn’t have the game to match and in fact does seem to have regressed.-I’ll give them one similarity tho , both are awful kicks.

It’s for that I reckon Sydney’s will throw the first curve and Won’t take him, I reckon they may go young.

yep, put that over the airwaves. potentially no loss to us as we still could end up with Stephens, Henry and Robertson. Adelaide becomes the loser. Not worth their risk.

Yeah good call. I’d 100% do that.
Most likely Geelong,
I’d let Adelaide know about it too

Yeah I’m not too big on Flanders either-everyone goes on about how he’s a Christian petracca type-well petracca May have the hype but he certainly doesn’t have the game to match and in fact does seem to have regressed.-I’ll give them one similarity tho , both are awful kicks.

It’s for that I reckon Sydney’s will throw the first curve and Won’t take him, I reckon they may go young.

Agree. Young, Stephens or even Robertson makes more sense for Sydney to take imo.

I'm still going Young and Stephens (if Adelaide go McAsey). If Sydney or Adelaide go Stephens then I'm not sure what we'll do - probably Serong.

Sneaky Bell Theorem #1027

I have a feeling Carlton want Stephens so us talking up Serong (over Stephens), making them think he'd slip to them, might dissuade them from trying to trade up in front of us to get him.

Yeah was thinking this too.

Friggin ESPN stole my 2016 Draft Day game...

Happy Melt Draft Day everyone!

Only 6 hours until it all starts and then maybe as little as four hours enduring random commentary to get to find out who we are taking with our first pick! Hoorah!

I hope everyone has their own play-along games at home ready to roll. If not, here's some that may help:
  • Draft Buzzword Bingo- you can make your own board but here are some phrases to get you started:
    • High Ceiling
    • Soft Hands
    • Elite
    • Undersized
    • Intangibles
    • Raw Ability
    • Project Player
    • Explosiveness
    • In and Under
    • Missing Piece of the Puzzle
    • Interesting Pick
    • I Didn't See That Coming Emma
  • Draftee Price is Right - why wait a couple of years when you can judge a player's worth right now? Ignore shades of grey, assign every draftee to your 'spud' or 'gun' pile as they are selected.
  • Selection Shots - alcohol is imperative in getting through watching any draft but beer can take too long to take the edge off. Whip out your mock draft (or find one online) and if you get your selection wrong then down the hatch with your favourite cocktail shot. Disclaimer: It is highly possible you get none right in this strange draft so please be responsible and BYO bucket.
  • Angry Emails - it's hard to write legible emails once intoxicated so please pre-prepare your abusive emails to the club and have them already open on the desktop of your computer so you can just mash the keyboard to send them for immediate relief (and later regret). Works similarly well for ex spouses I have heard. Disclaimer: Clearly this is not a new idea though as some BF posters already use this strategy for their posts.
  • Ventriloquist Voice Over - after the first dozen picks the descriptions of players become fairly generic and boring, so mute the sound and take over yourselves. It will be hilarious (except for those of you not drunk). Need a vocabulary? Just refer to your Draft Buzzword Bingo board. Funny voices welcome.
  • Hackdorn Darts - what can be more fun and stress relieving for the whole family than throwing darts at a picture of the worst "journalist" in Australia? Interestingly you can also turn a picture of any person's face in to a Hackdorn lookalike just by throwing darts at it.
So there's some ideas to help survive the evening. Feel free to come up with your own and share.

Here's to getting none of the players we wanted or expected :thumbsu: Enjoy the day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris

Your summation?

We nailed the Hayden Young pick. He should have been a top 4 pick.

Once Dylan Stephens was off the board (great pick by Sydney) I think we probably made the right pick with Caleb Serong. I think he was the best value at that spot, and offers some real flexibility in terms of ball winning and goal kicking that others maybe didn't. For those concerned about having so many small guys, realistically half our sub 180cm guys could be delisted in a year if they don't improve next season. Then it's not an issue at all. I think Serong plays a decent amount of football next year.

And well, Liam Henry will just be a star.

For the first round overall, there weren't too many real surprises - I thought Mitch Georgiades was a very good pick, and I'm not surprised that Sam Philp went in the first round. That was on the cards for a while. Unfortunately I think Carlton did well with their trade, Brodie Kemp is likely who they would have picked at #11 anyway. And I wonder if Gold Coast will be regretting moving up now that someone like Deven Robertson would have been available to them at #22.

I think I'd probably stick with what we have for now, I wouldn't be looking to trade our 2020 first to get back into the second round. I know people like Robertson and Jeremy Sharp, but there'll be WA players they love next year too. And now that the deficit has been reduced, there isn't a huge need to trade our pick next year. I'd wait until Round 3, see if anyone started dropping into the 40s or even 50s. It's not impossible Elijah Taylor could. Otherwise, I'd be looking at Callum Jamieson in the middle rounds.

Interesting that the AFL highlights of Serong make him look like a FWD/Mid, whilst Freo draft highlights have him looking like a small inside mid.. almost like a better version of Lachie Neale.

Still a midget, but if as someone suggests that a midget cull might happen at the end of the year.

If he is the second coming of Lachie Neale I’m ok with it.

Interesting that the AFL highlights of Serong make him look like a FWD/Mid, whilst Freo draft highlights have him looking like a small inside mid.. almost like a better version of Lachie Neale.

Still a midget, but if as someone suggests that a midget cull might happen at the end of the year.

If he is the second coming of Lachie Neale I’m ok with it.

I love the fact he was never touted as a draft slider, in fact I am pretty certain Carlton grab him with pick 9 if we went someone else. For a player of his size even the smallest knock on skills/personality would have him sliding down fast.

No it clearly says that clubs have a deficit limit based on the picks they have in the next draft - that's the restriction in regard to deficits, just that - nothing like what you are saying. I have never seen any article or any clause in the rules that say any picks you trade in are used to pay off a deficit - it makes no sense as the deficit is linked to the round in which the bid came. If you can produce any official reference info at all then I'm all ears.

It's all a bit moot though because if an early bid comes (resulting in a big deficit impacting our future 1st), we'd likely trade a future 2nd at the time of the bid to cover the left over deficit and maybe a future 4th to balance the trade. It would be dumb of us to let our future 1st get devalued when we have currency to avoid it. And then we could also trade another future 2nd post bid IF we wanted to buy back in to ~30s. I'm not certain we will buy back in but if someone we want has slid we can.
Sorry wayToGo_ I don’t have a link. But it looks like last nights trade for 52 and 55 wiped your debt, and you have a late pick in this years draft.

Sorry wayToGo_ I don’t have a link. But it looks like last nights trade for 52 and 55 wiped your debt, and you have a late pick in this years draft.
Bell said we still have a deficit heading into next year. Someone on here calculated it as around 250 points sitting against our rd 1 next year (think it is a 2 pick downgrade equivalent - assuming we will just wear it against our current first pick). Bell also said we'd look at our remaining future currency (eg Melb's 2nd) to see if we can get up the draft order today.

Last edited:
His point does make sense and thinking about it, I'm not sure I can recall a time when its even been mentioned as an option for us - which you think it would be at some point. The points also dont come off until the start of next years draft which could indicate they come off anything we trade back in this year first
It’s a moot point now, because you paid off your deficit with last nights trade, but if a team does carry a points deficit in to the following year, the points come off the pick/s at the conclusion of the season, once the final ladder is set, and before the trade period.

So you’re first pick pays for the points and slides back in the draft order to where it’s new points value slots it in.

Bell said we still have a deficit heading into next year - it kind of looks like we've chosen to carry over some deficit and keep that 60s pick (I didn't know you could do that but that's the only explanation I can think of). Someone on here calculated it as around 250 points sitting against our rd 1 next year (think it is a 2 pick downgrade equivalent - assuming we will just wear it against our current first pick). Bell also said we'd look at our remaining future currency (eg Melb's 2nd) to see if we can get up the draft order today.

Ok. Have missed all that, and definitely doesn’t sound right from what I was originally told in regards to trading in picks while having a current deficit.

Ok. Have missed all that, and definitely doesn’t sound right from what I was originally told in regards to trading in picks while having a current deficit.
Its a weird one, what seems to have happened is that after trading in more picks this year, pick 73 went to sleep, then after the bid was matched, it was re-activated and moved up to 67.

A points deficit was confirmed by Bell and like was said, it was indicated we are looking to be involved today so we'll see what happens

Its a weird one, what seems to have happened is that after trading in more picks this year, pick 73 went to sleep, then after the bid was matched, it was re-activated and moved up to 67.

A points deficit was confirmed by Bell and like was said, it was indicated we are looking to be involved today so we'll see what happens
Perhaps because pick #73 is the first pick that doesn't have any points? It's not involved in matching, then when the picks in between are removed it comes forward into points range?

That’s because pick 74 has no points value... but after the bid it went up as picks disappeared. It will go up again if Any other father sons/academy players are bid up.

Ie it was a sliding points accumulator.. freo was probably expecting others to come up as well assuming Green would be bid on first.

Quite clever really!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back