Remove this Banner Ad

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
This is the thread to discuss the ongoing ODI World Cup Super League. It essentially acts as the initial qualifier for the 2023 World Cup and consists of 13 teams (the 12 test playing nations + the Netherlands) playing 24 matches (8 x 3 match series) with each match being worth 10 points. This is how it stands at the moment:

Capture.PNG

The top 8 teams at the end of the league automatically qualify for the World Cup. The remaining 5 have to battle it out with 5 other teams from the lower leagues for the remaining 2 World Cup spots. The idea is to give the often maligned "meaningless" ODI bilateral series some context. Given a lot of the series played in this won't gather enough interest to have their own thread I'd thought it'd be a good idea to have this all encompassing thread for those series.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
Another reason I wanted to make this thread is because there's a former World Cup Winner (+ 2-time runner up) who I think are in huge danger of missing out on an automatic spot. Sri Lanka have a tough draw as it is - they don't get to play Ireland or the Netherlands - and in their first 5 matches they have lost all of them to the West Indies (3-0) and Bangladesh (currently 2-0). Teams they will likely be competing with for the final few spots.

Mar 5, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
Congratulations to the Netherlands on their 2-1 win over Ireland. Bertus de Jong's 'Red List' system is quite on the money:

South Africa are looking weak, but may be saved by those below them. Sri Lanka are in enormous trouble, and I would not be surprised to see them finish in last (though I don't think they will).

Remove this Banner Ad