2020/21 A-League Grand Final - Melbourne City V Sydney FC

Remove this Banner Ad

This is ridiculous if its 50% for one venue should be 50% for all venues!

It makes some sense to limit your total risk. It's still 25% at the MCG, which is what the govt put on the table yesterday. So everyone has a bit of a win.

More importantly - we're a step closer to getting more people back through the gates for the next few months.

Now stop talking about venues and we can focus on the biggest game of the year and not the usual undertones (I'm not going to bring up the socceroo section issues 🤣).

It makes some sense to limit your total risk. It's still 25% at the MCG, which is what the govt put on the table yesterday. So everyone has a bit of a win.

More importantly - we're a step closer to getting more people back through the gates for the next few months.

Now stop talking about venues and we can focus on the biggest game of the year and not the usual undertones (I'm not going to bring up the socceroo section issues 🤣).
What risk? Covid or the 'Delta Variant' is now pretty much redundant in Victoria. For now.
I just don't like it! These bloody rules and restrictions made up on the fly. Just smacks of nobody knowing how to handle.. sorry Sutton not knowing how to handle anything and placing rules just for the sake of it... lazy.

Anyway yes lets focus on the match. Hopefully we get the official statement from the APL soon.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain why Swans and GWS have migrated to Melbourne to escape the growing C-19 numbers in Sydney, yet we are discussing playing this A-League GF in Sydney??
No way.
In all fairness, and amidst this C-19 uncertainty, the GF should be deferred a week, and be played 3 or 4 July in Melbourne.
That way, ALL the players who represented their country in Kuwait, are eligible to play, having quarantined for 2 weeks.
Surely, the players who helped get both teams to their positions this season should NOT be penalised for playing for Australia.
Is the A-League serious about showcasing the best players for a GF?

Can anyone explain why Swans and GWS have migrated to Melbourne to escape the growing C-19 numbers in Sydney, yet we are discussing playing this A-League GF in Sydney??
No way.
In all fairness, and amidst this C-19 uncertainty, the GF should be deferred a week, and be played 3 or 4 July in Melbourne.
That way, ALL the players who represented their country in Kuwait, are eligible to play, having quarantined for 2 weeks.
Surely, the players who helped get both teams to their positions this season should NOT be penalised for playing for Australia.

Giants should be playing in Canberra.

But neither here nor there.

Will definitely be played in Melbourne with the 50% crowds.

No way.

Is the A-League serious about showcasing the best players for a GF?

The Grand Final can't be delayed due to the TV rights expiring June 30th.

The Grand Final can't be delayed due to the TV rights expiring June 30th.
Sydney fc and Melbourne had been placed in a bio bubble to counter any changes to travel restrictions. Sydney currently hasn't changed the capacity restrictions in venues. From what has been said previously Melbourne was the aim, if there was crowds it was going to be in Melbourne.

Sydney fc and Melbourne had been placed in a bio bubble to counter any changes to travel restrictions. Sydney currently hasn't changed the capacity restrictions in venues. From what has been said previously Melbourne was the aim, if there was crowds it was going to be in Melbourne.

It's quite comical. "No lockdowns coming here" but the AFL is fleeing and the NSW origin and NRL staff fled town today too.

Sports usually get a quite chat to make arrangements and get out of Dodge before bigger announcements are made. Thursdays/Fridays are the norm for snap lockdowns.

The AFL are still sweating on the crowd caps - so looks like an official answer tomorrow...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's probably not the greatest thing in terms of exposure and mainstream media coverage that it's being played less than 3 hours before State of Origin game 2 kicks off but at least it's happening.

I more meant that the reporting of the result and discussion in the mainstream media will be overshadowed by Origin talk.

Not if City win. No one in Melbourne really cares about NRL or State of Origin, which is a code and event for nuffies.

Happily secured my seat. Ticket master sucks though. Dickheads.
They available to non-members yet?

I assume it'll be a sell out but being City I'm not sure? Can't see many Sydney people coming down for the game with the border shut/shutting to (greater) Sydney.

Wouldn't mind going along as a neutral.

They available to non-members yet?

I assume it'll be a sell out but being City I'm not sure? Can't see many Sydney people coming down for the game with the border shut/shutting to (greater) Sydney.

Wouldn't mind going along as a neutral.
Open to the public at 8pm tonight. There will be plenty of tickets. We only got official confirmation at lunchtime that the game is on.

Nerves building up nicely (or poorly depending on your POV)

This is the third A League GF I Will have attended (my mate got me tickets to the first two Melbourne Victory ones ugh), but this is the first one I am totally emotionally, financially, spiritually invested in.
It's a shame it's only going to be half full, but I am.so happy it is at AAMI Park.

Win or lose, I am extraordinary proud of my cl in and what we have achieved this season under Kisnorbo.

It's taken longer than I hoped, but we have arrived as a powerhouse in the A League.

I don't care about the bitter neutrals who complain about oil money, City's success is good for the A League and code in general in Melbourne/Vic.

I am gonna really enjoy the day, regardless of the result. Been a Heart diehard from day one.. Never once supported Victory.

Nerves building up nicely (or poorly depending on your POV)

This is the third A League GF I Will have attended (my mate got me tickets to the first two Melbourne Victory ones ugh), but this is the first one I am totally emotionally, financially, spiritually invested in.
It's a shame it's only going to be half full, but I am.so happy it is at AAMI Park.

Win or lose, I am extraordinary proud of my cl in and what we have achieved this season under Kisnorbo.

It's taken longer than I hoped, but we have arrived as a powerhouse in the A League.

I don't care about the bitter neutrals who complain about oil money, City's success is good for the A League and code in general in Melbourne/Vic.

I am gonna really enjoy the day, regardless of the result. Been a Heart diehard from day one.. Never once supported Victory.
You're not a powerhouse in the A League, you need sustained success to even contemplate declaring yourself that. I hope City do well and I hope that success gets fans onboard because even if you win successive titles the club won't be considered a powerhouse of anything if only 5k fans are showing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back