2020/21 Championship, Lower, Non-League & EFL Trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that profit was post admin and post points deduction and few years after sale of Elland road.

Yep, after the squad was sold off and costs massively reduced.

Incredible the loans Risdale was taking out back then. Takes some effort to rack up a £50m loss in one year back then.

Yep, after the squad was sold off and costs massively reduced.

Incredible the loans Risdale was taking out back then. Takes some effort to rack up a £50m loss in one year back then.
Even more incredible that he was able to screw things up at other clubs.

Leeds posted massive losses for the 2 years prior to going bust. 49m in losses alone just in 2003. Not sure where you are getting your information from.

I guess it depends when you think they went bust. They went into administration in 2007 but they were financially ****ed as early as 2003. Ridsdale was forced out in March 2003, and they had started to sell off the squad (and the goldfish).

They were so desperate at that point that the money they were making from sales often didn't cover the money they still owed on those players. And in a lot of cases they were still covering a lot of wages for players that had left.

I posted about their finances on BF when they released their 00/01 accounts. They'd made the CL semi finals, made a small profit.

They were relying on champions League revenue (£18m in 00/01 iirc) to avoid huge losses, had bought a heap of players on deferred payments, and were borrowing against future gate income.

It was a financial disaster waiting to happen but nothing UEFA would have gotten involved with.

Can't find the site I used to use for historical financial information so I'm going off memory.

Certainly FFP would not have allowed them to take out huge loans at above average interest rates.

One of the bad things about FFP is that it doesn't stop a club taking out big loans and increasing debt. As long as you can afford the repayments

Debt was the initial focus of FFP, but that got changed by the establishment clubs before it was implemented.

I guess it depends when you think they went bust. They went into administration in 2007 but they were financially f’ed as early as 2003. Ridsdale was forced out in March 2003, and they had started to sell off the squad (and the goldfish).

They were so desperate at that point that the money they were making from sales often didn't cover the money they still owed on those players. And in a lot of cases they were still covering a lot of wages for players that had left.

I posted about their finances on BF when they released their 00/01 accounts. They'd made the CL semi finals, made a small profit.

They were relying on champions League revenue (£18m in 00/01 iirc) to avoid huge losses, had bought a heap of players on deferred payments, and were borrowing against future gate income.

It was a financial disaster waiting to happen but nothing UEFA would have gotten involved with.

Can't find the site I used to use for historical financial information so I'm going off memory.

One of the bad things about FFP is that it doesn't stop a club taking out big loans and increasing debt. As long as you can afford the repayments

Debt was the initial focus of FFP, but that got changed by the establishment clubs before it was implemented.

FFP forces clubs to spend wirhim
I guess it depends when you think they went bust. They went into administration in 2007 but they were financially f’ed as early as 2003. Ridsdale was forced out in March 2003, and they had started to sell off the squad (and the goldfish).

One of the bad things? Since FFP started massive losses in European football has been turned around to a profit of 700m euros.

Clubs being limited in the amount of losses they can run up is a good thing no matter which way you play it.

Leeds were spending outside their means - something not allowed under FFP. No matter what way you play it they would have been better off if Ridsdale was tied to FFP and not allowed to spend massively outside Leeds' means.

Aside from seeing Sunderland trying to FINALLY get promoted back to the Championship, I'm also really looking forward to seeing how Jersey Bulls FC do in the 8th tier. Would be very interesting if they ever got into the EFL.

Aside from seeing Sunderland trying to FINALLY get promoted back to the Championship, I'm also really looking forward to seeing how Jersey Bulls FC do in the 8th tier. Would be very interesting if they ever got into the EFL.

Hadn't even seen that story, that's pretty cool.

Hadn't even seen that story, that's pretty cool.

Won just about every game in the 8th tier last season but then COVID hit and the season was voided so they got left in the division which is a shame because they were going to get promoted no matter what. Hopefully they can get that promotion this season though. Honestly one of the most unique stories around right now so it's nice to hop on them early. It is interesting that no island club (in particular Jersey and IoM) have ever made it to the EFL or even the Conference. Their tax laws alone would make them bigger financial powerhouses then Salford are right now.

Interesting comments from Warnock on opening game loss to Watford. Called their goal a Sunday league goal and that Watford didn’t have a clue how to break them down and his goalie effectively played as a cb in the second half.

Funny from what I saw Watford had a number of players out injured, and Ben Foster was barely troubled... barely one threatening shot. Boro were as clueless going forward. 5 wins and 5 losses so for Warnock..suppose can understand the deflection

Interesting comments from Warnock on opening game loss to Watford. Called their goal a Sunday league goal and that Watford didn’t have a clue how to break them down and his goalie effectively played as a cb in the second half.

Funny from what I saw Watford had a number of players out injured, and Ben Foster was barely troubled... barely one threatening shot. Boro were as clueless going forward. 5 wins and 5 losses so for Warnock..suppose can understand the deflection

Yeah very weak Watford side still looked pretty comfortable against Boro. Granted I only watched the last half hour but seems like Colin making a fool of himself again surprise surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won just about every game in the 8th tier last season but then COVID hit and the season was voided so they got left in the division which is a shame because they were going to get promoted no matter what. Hopefully they can get that promotion this season though. Honestly one of the most unique stories around right now so it's nice to hop on them early. It is interesting that no island club (in particular Jersey and IoM) have ever made it to the EFL or even the Conference. Their tax laws alone would make them bigger financial powerhouses then Salford are right now.
clubs with no history coming into the EFL is a precedent I don't like.

Made me do some research, they did win every game last season
27-0-0 when the season was called off.

I mean, it was in the first news article I found when I searched them, not the deepest of research required really lol.

Birmingham or Brentford tonight?
Brum. Bees will s**t the bed, went from being a really charismatic club to their manager being an utmost s**t and their players being primadonnas and bad sports.

Hope your right, I think Wycombe will beat Rotherham as well
I reckon Wycombe will do well. at this rate at least one 'stable' club gets stung points and then another ends up with a takeover problem. I think they'll just make it.

Canvey Island?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back