Remove this Banner Ad

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Didcot, Yateley, Winnersh, Taplow
Really sad, very old club who spent a lot of time in the Football League. Never a nice thing to see. I'll be having a drink for a proper club from football's heartland tonight.

A little more info on Southend's plight.

Southend United winding-up petition adjourned for fourth time until 28 October

There was also another bright and cheery article on the BBC website this morning stating that other clubs could find themselves in serious difficulty if fans aren't allowed to return in the near future.

EFL: Future of some Football League clubs beyond Christmas in doubt

Now, on a brighter note, some clubs have been given the go ahead to have fans return. At the moment it is limited to only 1,000 fans, but it is a start. One of the 10 clubs chosen is Carlisle United. :thumbsu:

Carlisle United given green light for fans to return to Brunton Park

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
if it's happening to this many clubs, they should place them on hiatus for a season and relegate them to League Two for next year or something. you can't have all these teams just evaporating. not just because of the loss of history, but promoting say 5-10 semi-professional clubs into the Football League all of a sudden will present its own issues. you need proper infrastructure and a system in place to make that leap. otherwise those clubs will also go.

if it's happening to this many clubs, they should place them on hiatus for a season and relegate them to League Two for next year or something. you can't have all these teams just evaporating. not just because of the loss of history, but promoting say 5-10 semi-professional clubs into the Football League all of a sudden will present its own issues. you need proper infrastructure and a system in place to make that leap. otherwise those clubs will also go.

What do you mean by hiatus? Players just gonna earn no money for a year?

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Carlisle United have gone through a bit of a clean out to start the season, about a dozen players were let go and dozen new ones brought in, most of them I don't know anything about. Not overly confident for the season ahead, but I'm happy to be surprised.

The draw for the season was released over night and Carlisle start the season in Cambridge on September 12. The big game though is the first Cumbrian derby since the 70's when Barrow travel to Brunton Park on October 3. Would have loved to have been there, shame it can't happen. The return derby is in Barrow in April 10, hopefully that is a game I can go and watch live.

Nice to see that Barrow / Carlisle rivalry reborn after 50 odd years. Might take a while to rekindle a true rivalry after so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the formation of the league in the 1880's more than 50 clubs have folded, most have never returned. It is a regular occurance, but it does seem that over the last 20 years, as the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" grows wider, that more and more clubs are falling by the wayside. Bury and Macclesfield have gone over the last 12 months and Southend are on the brink. I'm not sure what is happening with Wigan, but they look like they could be in some trouble and Bolton are still not out of the woods, although their situation is looking a lot better than 12 months ago.

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Since the formation of the league in the 1880's more than 50 clubs have folded, most have never returned. It is a regular occurance, but it does seem that over the last 20 years, as the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" grows wider, that more and more clubs are falling by the wayside. Bury and Macclesfield have gone over the last 12 months and Southend are on the brink. I'm not sure what is happening with Wigan, but they look like they could be in some trouble and Bolton are still not out of the woods, although their situation is looking a lot better than 12 months ago.
I said this a few weeks ago in this thread – there was a remarkable stability in the league between the wars and arguably 2000s.

I think that was just due to the humility of even most Premier League clubs. your Oldham Athletics and Covs went up with little expectation and noble budgets. it was the big three and Blackburn Rovers for a bit who were the only ones really competing, but back then, the difference in squad value of a mid-second div team and one who finished 6th wasn't that big. blows me the * away the amount of money clubs have to spend to even finish 10th and the owners of sides finishing 15th.

it coincides with a lot of alienation in senior, high level, top division football.

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Can’t the FA funnel more money from broadcast rights to lower leagues? As mentioned above post the gap between haves and havenots way too wide.
at the expense of the Premier League sides? no way, their pull is massive. no chance.

they can't anyway, the Premier League is owned by its 20 members and they get all its riches. the FA live off England basically.

I've found it weird how hard it is to watch lower tier football on TV. there's like five televised matches a week and most of them are mid-week Championship fixtures. fta broadcasters are a bit irrelevant and obviously don't have the money, but there are some huge fanbases yet to be tapped into. there's a heavier weighting of Saturday 3pm games during the blackout though but I dunno, Blackburn Rovers, Derby County, Forest, Wednesday, Birmingham City are better supported than several clubs above em.

at the expense of the Premier League sides? no way, their pull is massive. no chance.

they can't anyway, the Premier League is owned by its 20 members and they get all its riches. the FA live off England basically.

I've found it weird how hard it is to watch lower tier football on TV. there's like five televised matches a week and most of them are mid-week Championship fixtures. fta broadcasters are a bit irrelevant and obviously don't have the money, but there are some huge fanbases yet to be tapped into. there's a heavier weighting of Saturday 3pm games during the blackout though but I dunno, Blackburn Rovers, Derby County, Forest, Wednesday, Birmingham City are better supported than several clubs above em.

iFollow has picked up the slack.

Well actually reading up the PL does pay the EFL solidarity payments. Looks like they pay roughly £5m to each Champ club and only £500 to each L1 & L2 club. They could easily up that the tight ***** based on their massive earnings.

SM heads up later this morning on BEIN2 at 11.50am showing Chelsea v Hull from ‘76 season. It’s from Chelsea tv so not sure if it means it will be pleasant viewing for oppo fans

Oh that's cool, thanks! I'll be out unfortunately but presumably will be on demand on Kayo. Will let City fans know. Will check the result beforehand in case it's a battering. Vaguely suspect this might be an FA Cup clash but could be wrong. :tearsofjoy:

Also speaking of, we've been selected for TV Coverage against Fleetwood next month which is great.

EDIT: You sure it was 76? Neither of those games seem particular thrillers haha.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 10.23.44 am.png

Could be the 1977 game?

Oh that's cool, thanks! I'll be out unfortunately but presumably will be on demand on Kayo. Will let City fans know. Will check the result beforehand in case it's a battering. Vaguely suspect this might be an FA Cup clash but could be wrong. :tearsofjoy:

Also speaking of, we've been selected for TV Coverage against Fleetwood next month which is great.

EDIT: You sure it was 76? Neither of those games seem particular thrillers haha.

View attachment 964987

Could be the 1977 game?
Sorry yeah says ‘76/77 season so likely latter game

Sorry yeah says ‘76/77 season so likely latter game

Haha yeah fair enough, but cheers for the heads up I'll let City fans know.

Just looked it up and your legend Billy Bremner was in our midfield that season!

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Was thinking about watching the AFC Wimbledn game tonight and noticed that ifollow have upped their prices from $9 to $12 a game. Good business considering how many more are likely to tune in this year but a 25% increase is enough to put me off, will probably watch the odd game if it gets interesting as the season gets going but really need the Wombles to make it to the Championship so I can see a few more games.

Was thinking about watching the AFC Wimbledn game tonight and noticed that ifollow have upped their prices from $9 to $12 a game. Good business considering how many more are likely to tune in this year but a 25% increase is enough to put me off, will probably watch the odd game if it gets interesting as the season gets going but really need the Wombles to make it to the Championship so I can see a few more games.

Are you able to watch multiple clubs games? I can only watch my club's games. Opted for the season pass since that works out pretty affordably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back