2020/21 Championship, Lower, Non-League & EFL Trophy

Wycombe finding it hard in the Championship... 5-0 loss, going to be an ask for such a small club to stay up. Would have to be one of the smallest if not the smallest.

Probably equivalent to Yeovil Town when they made it up.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Probably equivalent to Yeovil Town when they made it up.
It's a slightly bigger town than some, but because it's so close to London I dare say there are London team fans in comparison to say a Barnsley which has the entire town behind it.

Carlisle got off the mark last night with a 2-0 win over Southend.

Southend are in a precarious position on and off the field, so this is potentially their final season in the Football league.

Carlisle got off the mark last night with a 2-0 win over Southend.

Southend are in a precarious position on and off the field, so this is potentially their final season in the Football league.

I was at their ground in 2014 for our FA Cup match against Phil Brown so holds pretty special memories for me.

Sep 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Blackburn Rovers
Wycombe finding it hard in the Championship... 5-0 loss, going to be an ask for such a small club to stay up. Would have to be one of the smallest if not the smallest.

Slightly unlucky as well, started ok but lost confidence after the first goal went in and it was all downhill from there. Still hard to see them staying up.

We are only two games into the season, but Bolton and Oldham have both started the season 0-2, two former Premiership clubs sitting at the bottom of the football league.

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Didcot, Yateley, Winnersh, Taplow
We are only two games into the season, but Bolton and Oldham have both started the season 0-2, two former Premiership clubs sitting at the bottom of the football league.
at the same time, Cov beat an established QPR 3-2 and played some good resilient football. they've been through the wringer.

I used to chat to a Bolton fan a bit and toward the end of the Premiership stay he'd always say they needed a relegation. not down to the non-leagues but still. you can turn it around.

at the same time, Cov beat an established QPR 3-2 and played some good resilient football. they've been through the wringer.

I used to chat to a Bolton fan a bit and toward the end of the Premiership stay he'd always say they needed a relegation. not down to the non-leagues but still. you can turn it around.
I think Coventry found themselves in the League Two a few years ago, so to see them back in the Championship and being competitive is a good sign.

If I was a Bolton fan I'd be a little concerned about their future, they were in real strife last season and almost suffered the same fate as Bury and Macclesfield, but they managed to find a 11th hour saviour. If these early defeats are signs that those issues are not entirely resolved, then they could find themselves in real danger of being relegated to the Conference. That could be the final nail in the coffin for the club.

scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Didcot, Yateley, Winnersh, Taplow
I think Coventry found themselves in the League Two a few years ago, so to see them back in the Championship and being competitive is a good sign.

If I was a Bolton fan I'd be a little concerned about their future, they were in real strife last season and almost suffered the same fate as Bury and Macclesfield, but they managed to find a 11th hour saviour. If these early defeats are signs that those issues are not entirely resolved, then they could find themselves in real danger of being relegated to the Conference. That could be the final nail in the coffin for the club.
they were routinely being talked about as being completely expelled. for a while they didn't have a stadium at all, I think the City of Coventry owns it and held them to ransom and they were playing somewhere pretty random for a while. playing in Birmingham isnt ideal but in this season... guess it's ok.

Jul 15, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Barnsley FC, Melbourne City, Bulls
Fantastic win, Thomas Mayer a signing from nowhere is doing bits, lovely cross in for Wilks. 2 from 2 and undefeated in all comps (tinpot EFL Trophy aside), fantastic start to the season.

I liked Wilks at Barnsley, hope he keeps scoring :thumbsu:

I liked Wilks at Barnsley, hope he keeps scoring :thumbsu:

Looks terrific for us as a number 9 which was fully unexpected. Terrorised Leeds in the Cup from that spot.

Luton Town are 2nd in the Championship rn after a late win over Derby :)

Won't be sustainable but its a terrific start to the season by the Hatters.
Luton Town spent 4 or 5 seasons in the Conference before winning promotion back to the Football League in 2014. To have worked their way up to the Championship in five years is an amazing effort.

I'm pretty sure Luton Town were the second team to have worked their way down the English Football Pyramid from Division One/EPL to the Conferences, after Carlisle United. If they can continue their early season form and win promotion, I think they will be the first to have been promoted from the Conferences all the way through the Football League to Division One/EPL.*

*Wimbledon FC were voted into the Football League in 1977 (there wasn't any promotion/relegation at the bottom of Division four) at the expense of Workington, 2 years before the formation of the Conference League and the consolidation of the lower levels in the English Football League System.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Luton Town spent 4 or 5 seasons in the Conference before winning promotion back to the Football League in 2014. To have worked their way up to the Championship in five years is an amazing effort.

I'm pretty sure Luton Town were the second team to have worked their way down the English Football Pyramid from Division One/EPL to the Conferences, after Carlisle United. If they can continue their early season form and win promotion, I think they will be the first to have been promoted from the Conferences all the way through the Football League to Division One/EPL.*

*Wimbledon FC were voted into the Football League in 1977 (there wasn't any promotion/relegation at the bottom of Division four) at the expense of Workington, 2 years before the formation of the Conference League and the consolidation of the lower levels in the English Football League System.

I think Hull have close to that record.

They went from league 2 to the premier league in 5 or 6 seasons.

I think us and Bournemouth are the two equal fastest from League 2 to the PL.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Couple of things going on.

Firstly, the club has honoured those who earned the promotion by keeping the majority of the squad together, despite a bunch of them never having played at that level before. I think that is quite admirable.

Secondly, the new owners have come across as quite prudent people, especially when compared with a lot of new owners, for whom football usually appears to be a vanity project. They've previously owned a Minor League Baseball team, so I think they are comfortable with the lower league levels. And instead of spending big on players and managers, the first thing they spent money on was an improved fan experience - simple stuff like better bars and toilets.

Honestly, I think they wouldn't be that bothered if we went down immediately. Take the bigger money on offer this year, sure, try to hang on, but if not, so be it.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Couple of things going on.

Firstly, the club has honoured those who earned the promotion by keeping the majority of the squad together, despite a bunch of them never having played at that level before. I think that is quite admirable.

Secondly, the new owners have come across as quite prudent people, especially when compared with a lot of new owners, for whom football usually appears to be a vanity project. They've previously owned a Minor League Baseball team, so I think they are comfortable with the lower league levels. And instead of spending big on players and managers, the first thing they spent money on was an improved fan experience - simple stuff like better bars and toilets.

Honestly, I think they wouldn't be that bothered if we went down immediately. Take the bigger money on offer this year, sure, try to hang on, but if not, so be it.
I know all about it. Good mate of mine is from High Wycombe.

Swansea hold the record, but it was back in the days of the old Division. They went from Division 4 to Division 1 in 4 years, between 1978 and 1981 but were back down in Division 4 by 1987.

Carlisle United were about 30 seconds away from a third promotion in four years back in 2008, but a 92nd minute goal from Jonathan Howson gave Leeds a 2-0 win in the second leg and 3-2 on aggregate in the League one playoffs. Leeds also scored in 96th minutes of the first leg. The loss seemed to crush Carlisle and we've never really recovered.

Back