2020/21 Championship, Lower, Non-League & EFL Trophy

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
It's not hysterical nonsense. I quoted the chief football writer of the Telegraph. Former FA chief executive Mark Palios says the same.

Former FA chief executive Mark Palios has warned that Project Big Picture would lead to the permanent dismantling of the football pyramid in this country and has questioned the role of EFL chairman Rick Parry in the proposal.​
Parry will talk to clubs from each of the EFL divisions on Tuesday, but cannot count on widespread support of his plan despite the promise of a £250million bail out.​
Palios, who owns League Two club Tranmere Rovers, is convinced that the proposal, led by Liverpool and Manchester United, and supported by Parry, would eventually result in the formation of a Premier League Two, from which there would be no relegation and promotion.​

“What you actually want to do is to smooth the gaps across the pyramid, rather than taking a route that will increase the gap sometime in the future and will mean the end of the pyramid as we know it with relegation and promotion right the way through. There would be no relegation and promotion from Premier League Two, and what’s to stop it if the ‘Big Six’ take control?​

The Football Supporters' Association have the same concerns.

The FSA have raised fears over a potentially closed league given the prospect of lopsided voting power, with the prospect of promotion and relegation being ended.​
"As six clubs can set the rules, who could stop them ending relegation from the Premier League and creating a franchise system like they have in US sports? No one," the FSA added.​

The FA has the final say on everything, their special shareholder status guarantees that power to them. Terrible article.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The FA has the final say on everything, their special shareholder status guarantees that power to them. Terrible article.

I've quoted articles by the Chief Football Writer of the newspaper that broke the story, a former FA chief executive, and the Football Supporters' Association - all saying that they believe the end game of Project Big Picture could be a closed top flight league. There's some knowledge there.

The FA has never invoked their "golden share" veto and there's no guarantee that they would, or if they did that it would prevent a breakaway league. From another article in The Telegraph.

The FA’s role in the plans could be crucial given the organisation has a so-called ‘golden share’ which would, in theory, allow it to veto any significant changes to the Premier League.​
In reality, using this veto would be regarded as an aggressive measure by the clubs backing the plan, although the FA will argue that it needs to act in its own interests and those of the wider game.​
There is currently enough opposition to Project Big Picture from within the Premier League itself and its members for that golden share to be rendered redundant.​
However, were it forced to choose, then the FA would have a huge decision to make.​
That is because the current proposals have the backing of EFL chairman Rick Parry, the former Premier League and Liverpool chief executive who also sits on the FA board, and a sizeable number of his clubs.​
As well as having a golden share in the Premier League, the FA is England’s designated member of both Fifa and Uefa and must sanction any breakaway competition for it to be recognised by those two bodies.​
Were the FA to refuse to do so, any club or player involved faces being banned from participating in Fifa and Uefa competitions.​
A refusal by either party – the clubs breaking away or the FA – to back down would see the matter end up in court.​

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Don't discount for a second the idea that the *ers who thought of Big Picture wouldn't have thought of ways to make it a closed league eventually. Would it really surprise people that the American owners who come from closed leagues where the dollar is everything don't want their cash cow playing in a lower division or share their TV deals with the likes of Burnley or Brighton? I don't think so.

Certain owners tried pushing to remove pro/rel 10 years ago and the consensus then was it was being pushed by American owners (along with Venky's at the time). That, Big Picture and some of the stupid s**t owners like Henry say about more power to bigger drawing clubs and being a closed league is enough to make a decent assumption about the intentions on what they want to do.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Norwich City are absolute cactus btw.. They won't go down but are not going to come close to making the playoffs.

Barnsley beating Bristol at the moment is bit of a surprise.

You'll be happy to know we're winning so finally up to top of the table.

Positive start to the season for Carlisle, a 3-2 win against Colchester is our 4th in the first six games and sees us 5th on the table, 1pt from the top.

3 from 3 at home too, which is a good sign, Brunton Park hasn’t been the fortress I had hoped in recent seasons.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Positive start to the season for Carlisle, a 3-2 win against Colchester is our 4th in the first six games and sees us 5th on the table, 1pt from the top.

3 from 3 at home too, which is a good sign, Brunton Park hasn’t been the fortress I had hoped in recent seasons.

We've got you at home on Tuesday. I'm not optimistic.

We've got you at home on Tuesday. I'm not optimistic.
Our form away hasn’t been that great, we won our last but hadn’t scored in the first two. We have been okay defensively this season which is a good sign, so I’m hopeful we have a shot.

You won this morning, perhaps you’ve turned a corner.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Our form away hasn’t been that great, we won our last but hadn’t scored in the first two. We have been okay defensively this season which is a good sign, so I’m hopeful we have a shot.

You won this morning, perhaps you’ve turned a corner.

To be honest I would happy if we just didn't go broke and didn't finish in the bottom two.

Do you ever get back there to watch them? Before this year obviously.

To be honest I would happy if we just didn't go broke and didn't finish in the bottom two.

Do you ever get back there to watch them? Before this year obviously.
I tend to go to at least one Carlisle game every time I’m back in England, but I haven’t been back for 6/7 years. I wanted to go back this season because Barrow are back in the Football League, and I’ve never been to a Cumbrian derby (I’m not that old) but unless a vaccine is found I can’t see it happening.

FC United mens won 2-1 Saturday with alot of the play.
Keeps us unbeaten with a 1-3-0 record in the league thus far.
Next game is tonight against Lancaster.
I hope the palyers dont look forward like I am. FA Cup 4th qualifying round vs Guiseley on Saturday and then South Shields (Who would've won the league last year, if not for covid) on Tuesday.

Also, the womens have gotten off to the year in good form. Won 3-2 vs Crewe Alexandria (The club we were fighting with for promotion last year) then smashed Norton and Stockton (4th tier - The one above us) 5-2 in the 2nd qualfying stage of the womens fa cup.

Minimum expectation for the year imo is
mens - Playoff (so top 5)
womens - Promotion (so win the league)

Carlisle drew 1-1 at Oldham this morning, Oldham equalised late after Carlisle took the lead early in the second half. Probably should have been ahead before halftime, we hit the crossbar early and hit the post again just before halftime. Still a point away from home is better than nothing.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Carlisle drew 1-1 at Oldham this morning, Oldham equalised late after Carlisle took the lead early in the second half. Probably should have been ahead before halftime, we hit the crossbar early and hit the post again just before halftime. Still a point away from home is better than nothing.

I am happy with a point too. You were on a good run.

Kewell has tested positive for Covid-19. Hopefully he doesn't get sick.

Feel a little sorry for the other Cumbrian team, Barrow, Bolton scored in the 95th minute to earn a 3-3 draw. Barrow are still without a win since returning to the Football League but have drawn 4 of their first seven games.

The other newbie, Harrogate find themselves in 4th with 4 wins from their opening seven games.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Highlights from the Oldham/Carlisle game.

Toure hit the post a couple of time for Carlisle in the first half. Nice goal by Oldham in the second.

Thanks for that. Looks like we were under the pump first half. Impressed with Dearnley's goal. Was like watching Dennis Bergkamp!

Muscles Thommo

All Australian
Dec 4, 2006
Chasing scum, L%ton fans
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Watford FC
Watford beat Blackburn Rovers 3 - 1 to move to third. Looking at the stats Blackburn had the better of the game, but couldnt put the ball in the net which is strange becasue they have been scoring well of late. Watford keeper saves a penalty.

Back