2020/21 Championship, Lower, Non-League & EFL Trophy

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight a 4-6 game home stand begins

If I had to choose 1 game to lose, it's tonights
DB why do you follow the very lower leagues if you’re not from there? Genuinely curious not having a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
A one all draw in the Dons v Dons game which was a fair result. More importantly AFC Wimbledon play their first home game in their new Plough Lane Stadium this Wednesday (vs Doncaster)

No Crowd and it is a shame that its not a weekend game as tuning in 3am Wednesday morning before work is pushing it even for me (Tuesday night London time) but there will be a live youtube show to mark the event and I'll certainly be watching it on replay. It's another huge step for AFC Wimbledon, the fans have had their club back for 19 years and now they have their home ground back as well :thumbsu:.

A one all draw in the Dons v Dons game which was a fair result. More importantly AFC Wimbledon play their first home game in their new Plough Lane Stadium this Wednesday (vs Doncaster)

No Crowd and it is a shame that its not a weekend game as tuning in 3am Wednesday morning before work is pushing it even for me (Tuesday night London time) but there will be a live youtube show to mark the event and I'll certainly be watching it on replay. It's another huge step for AFC Wimbledon, the fans have had their club back for 19 years and now they have their home ground back as well :thumbsu:.

3am? Isn't it going to be 6/7am?

EDIT: Oh, missed you're in Fremantle.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Yeah kick off 3:45 WA time with the build up starting from 2am on Youtube. I'd seriously chuck a sicky to watch it but just can't next week. I've only seen them play once live (vs Spurs, FA Cup at Wembly) but attending a home game is definitely on the bucket list even if its a few years before I get over there. Hopefully it'll be a Championship game at least :grinning:.

Jul 15, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Barnsley FC, Melbourne City, Bulls
Barnsley have only lost once in the last 7 games now :cool: Under Ismael playing 3-4-3, but the 3 defenders are all very good in Solbauuer, Helik and Anderson. Brittain has been a great signing, but is injured now :( Matty James from Leicester also a great signing, allowing Mowwat to get more forward. He's scored 2 great goals in the last 3 games now

DB why do you follow the very lower leagues if you’re not from there? Genuinely curious not having a go.
My family name came from the area of Manchester, so back in high school I started supporting Manchester United.
However, I read the story about how Malcolm Glazer acquired the club, did it legally, but not in good faith and once he won control of the club, he threw the debt he had managed to develop onto the club to manage. Is it paid off yet? I dont know. I stopped caring. Him ****ing over the future of the club put me off them until he's gone. (though, even though he still is, his son's still running the place. so the point still stands)

So I basically gave the middle finger to Manchester United around 05-06ish

I then jumped around a bit through the 06-10 period trying to find a club to actually support. My problem was back then I was starting to like clubs, then realise, crap, They share the similarity I hated.

Chelsea - Had a crush on a girl who supported them. Crush subsided, and I then find out about Abrahimovic. Stopped caring
Arsenal - Had 2 good mates who supported them, 1 of which went on about it's his dream to buy a share in the club. Cool, sounds like a club with the right setup. Then I see it is that in theory but Stan Kroenke basically owned it. And alas, he did exactly what Glazer did. Screw em.
Manchester City - Some of my favourite players were playing for them (Or to be more precise, Tevez went to them). Enjoyed watching them play, then the Sheikh buys them to be his new toy. Lets run (I hadnt gone too far down the path of following them that I hadnt done my research yet, only since the Sheikh buying them did I realise it was a Thai billionaire before him)

I was over these big clubs and your Glazer's, Abrahimovic's, Kroenke's, Sheikh's etc.
I did some more reading and found out about this small club called FC United of Manchester which had just been formed by disgruntled Manchester United fans who were alienated by the way the club had gone. Others hate how they've priced out the working class family, others hate selling the soul for tv money (which had us try and say no to an FA Cup tie a few years back, but when we were told, play on tv at night or forefit, we folded and played)

Paid close attention to them around 2009-10 then 93:47 (+4) occurred. As a tier 7 club, to go into the home of a League 1 side in our first ever proper FA Cup game (not qualifiers) and win in the fashion we did (13 seconds left in injury time). It was epic and I still watch highlights to this day.

I was working when it happened, but one of those Arsenal mates I reffered to above watched it as it was telecast on ESPN here. Messaged me when it ended and was like wtf. How did we pull that off.

I get home and see highlights, and eventually the replay, If you have an interest in a team, and see the scenes that night. There's no way you can not fall for them.
Here's the highlights of the game

And that doesnt take into account the team and fans celebrating on field afterwards.

Then to back it up and force a replay against Brighton in the next game saving a penalty in the dying moments.

It's similar to my love of Boise State. Had minor interest and a few amazing moments won me over.

And just going through that whole story, probably why I have such a high interest in Shakhtar Donetsk. Was in this period of jumping around trying to find someone, I see the story of the 2008-09 UEFA Cup. Look at the knockout phase:

3 Ukrainian teams in the Rd of 16, 2 in the quarter finals. I'm there going, wow, who are these teams, surely they cant do it. Then they face off in the semi final. Right there and then I decide, whoever wins the semi final I support. Won the UEFA Cup that year and have enjoyed every moment since. Beating Madrid 2 weeks ago was bloody amazing.

Tonight a 4-6 game home stand begins

If I had to choose 1 game to lose, it's tonights
and we lost the game 2-1 late

Reason I was happy to lose this game - It was the FA Trophy. Focus on the league and enjoy the moments the cup brings us. Dont care too much about a tertiary trophy.

If you rough up a few Doncaster players before the weekend I wont complain ;)

My family name came from the area of Manchester, so back in high school I started supporting Manchester United.
However, I read the story about how Malcolm Glazer acquired the club, did it legally, but not in good faith and once he won control of the club, he threw the debt he had managed to develop onto the club to manage. Is it paid off yet? I dont know. I stopped caring. Him ****ing over the future of the club put me off them until he's gone. (though, even though he still is, his son's still running the place. so the point still stands)

So I basically gave the middle finger to Manchester United around 05-06ish

I then jumped around a bit through the 06-10 period trying to find a club to actually support. My problem was back then I was starting to like clubs, then realise, crap, They share the similarity I hated.

Chelsea - Had a crush on a girl who supported them. Crush subsided, and I then find out about Abrahimovic. Stopped caring
Arsenal - Had 2 good mates who supported them, 1 of which went on about it's his dream to buy a share in the club. Cool, sounds like a club with the right setup. Then I see it is that in theory but Stan Kroenke basically owned it. And alas, he did exactly what Glazer did. Screw em.
Manchester City - Some of my favourite players were playing for them (Or to be more precise, Tevez went to them). Enjoyed watching them play, then the Sheikh buys them to be his new toy. Lets run (I hadnt gone too far down the path of following them that I hadnt done my research yet, only since the Sheikh buying them did I realise it was a Thai billionaire before him)

I was over these big clubs and your Glazer's, Abrahimovic's, Kroenke's, Sheikh's etc.
I did some more reading and found out about this small club called FC United of Manchester which had just been formed by disgruntled Manchester United fans who were alienated by the way the club had gone. Others hate how they've priced out the working class family, others hate selling the soul for tv money (which had us try and say no to an FA Cup tie a few years back, but when we were told, play on tv at night or forefit, we folded and played)

Paid close attention to them around 2009-10 then 93:47 (+4) occurred. As a tier 7 club, to go into the home of a League 1 side in our first ever proper FA Cup game (not qualifiers) and win in the fashion we did (13 seconds left in injury time). It was epic and I still watch highlights to this day.

I was working when it happened, but one of those Arsenal mates I reffered to above watched it as it was telecast on ESPN here. Messaged me when it ended and was like wtf. How did we pull that off.

I get home and see highlights, and eventually the replay, If you have an interest in a team, and see the scenes that night. There's no way you can not fall for them.
Here's the highlights of the game

And that doesnt take into account the team and fans celebrating on field afterwards.

Then to back it up and force a replay against Brighton in the next game saving a penalty in the dying moments.

It's similar to my love of Boise State. Had minor interest and a few amazing moments won me over.

And just going through that whole story, probably why I have such a high interest in Shakhtar Donetsk. Was in this period of jumping around trying to find someone, I see the story of the 2008-09 UEFA Cup. Look at the knockout phase:

3 Ukrainian teams in the Rd of 16, 2 in the quarter finals. I'm there going, wow, who are these teams, surely they cant do it. Then they face off in the semi final. Right there and then I decide, whoever wins the semi final I support. Won the UEFA Cup that year and have enjoyed every moment since. Beating Madrid 2 weeks ago was bloody amazing.

s**t!!! Sorry I asked! ;)

After a 1-0 defeat at Exeter on the weekend, Carlisle have returned to the winners list with a 3-2 win over league leaders Newport at Brunton Park. Newport scored twice in the last 6 minutes to make a nervous finish to the game, but for the most part Carlisle appeared in control. Carlisle now move up to fifth, 1pt from the Automatic Promotion spots and 5 pts behind the leaders, who are still Newport.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I’m on the Wycombe to stay up bandwagon...come back from 1-0 down against Birmingham to win 2-1 after injury time og! Up the Chairboys!
Only ten points out of the play-offs!

Already played five of the top nine, only one other club has won their last two games. Can go ahead of Nottingham Forest and out of the relegation zone if we win this weekend. The only way is up, baby!

*Still think we'll be relegated and I don't care, just enjoying the ride.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back